Opinion needed on Doxa quality control
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Opinion needed on Doxa quality control

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinion needed on Doxa quality control

Hello doxa fans! I received my doxa sub 300 searambler 50th anniversary yesterday afternoon from a seller in the states who had it for sale stating it was never worn & in brand new condition. In which it was, it wasn't til last night did I notice the dial has 3 scratches!

All next to one another, the highest scratch being the deepest. See photos for reference. Do you think its repairable? What are your opinions on what I should do? It's only visible under bright light either the sun or down lights and only visible from an angle.

It's not that noticeable but the ocd in me keeps bugging me. Everything else about the watch is perfect though. My options are;
    1. do nothing & put up with it (doesn't bother me too much since it's not very noticeable

2. Return it to the seller for a refund and keep an eye out for another one which might have another quality control issue that could be worse. Then again these watches don't come up for sale that often and I really want to enjoy it this summer here in Australia

3. See if doxa can some how fix it

What do we think? I'm leaning towards no.3

Ps. Stay tuned for my review of the watch

************************************************** ************************************************** ****
    REPLY FROM DOXA
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ****
    Dear Sir, first off, since 2001, I have never seen anything like this coming from the factory, but as you were informed the watch will be examined if it was opened by the previous owners, if not, then it will be repaired under warranty. The warranty is transferable but excludes shipping.

best regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by DOXA S.A.; November 4th, 2018 at 17:09.

lvt

Re: Opinion needed on Doxa quality control

Option 2 unless the scratches have been mentioned in the description.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Option 2 unless the scratches have been mentioned in the description.
    it wasn't mentioned in the description, my only worry with option 2 is that these don't come up for sale too often. I'll definitely consider it though

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Juweinat View Post
    it wasn't mentioned in the description, my only worry with option 2 is that these don't come up for sale too often. I'll definitely consider it though
    But unless you get an answer from Doxa, I don't see how could you process to Option 3.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Assuming you bought this used then?

1. Did you contact the seller and ask about the scratches? What did he say? Those scratches seem fairly noticeable, so hard to imagine the seller was unaware. How long did he own the watch?

2. Can you return it to the seller? i.e. did the seller offer a return option? Depending how you bought it, you may have be able to return for a refund of the item is not as described.

3. Of course Doxa can fix that ... they can replace the dial. The only question is who pays for it.

If the seller bought it from Doxa, then it may be still under warranty. The warranty is non-transferable, so if a warranty repair is option, one seller has to be the one to send it in.

If the seller is not the original owner, then there is no option for a warranty repair. Unless he can find the original owner, who would have to agree to send the watch in.

How much did you pay for this? These sell new for about $2,450 I believe. You can contact Doxa and find out how much it would cost you to have it repaired, including shipping. Add that to what you paid. Only you can decide if that sum is worth it vs. buying a new one, or waiting for another to come around for sale. These are not too hard to find used.

If the math doesn't work, and you can get a refund, I'd do that.

Good luck and hope all works out well!

If it was the Searambler advertised on WUS recently, the 2 year warranty on the card expires 24/12/18, so there are a few weeks left if DOXA is going to be involved under that warranty. I think the warranty is now transferable - you could check that by live chat with customer services.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Des2471 View Post
    If it was the Searambler advertised on WUS recently, the 2 year warranty on the card expires 24/12/18, so there are a few weeks left if DOXA is going to be involved under that warranty. I think the warranty is now transferable - you could check that by live chat with customer services.

Best of luck!
    This is on Doxa's web site under warranty. Link below. Maybe the changed and the web site has not caught up?

"Effective November 1st, 2008 DOXA Warranties will no longer be transferable to future owners of a previously purchased/owned DOXA SUB. The warranty will only be valid for the original purchaser/owner - i.e. the individual named as the owner with the service center."

FAQs on Doxa Swiss Made Diving Watches for Men | DoxaWatches

Quote Originally Posted by Des2471 View Post

Best of luck!
    That is the one I purchased from wus. I'm a bit upset he didn't mention it in the ad, I will be contacting him to let him know the situation & send him the link to this post.

I spoke to doxa via live chat & sent them an email with the pictures. The person via live chat said they've never seen anything like it. He/she said they will speak to the head office on Monday if they can repair it & if so under warranty, I did ask about the transferable warranty, he/she will let me know on Monday.

Why the seller didn't take it back under warranty? I don't know, if they will only repair it while under the possession of the original owner that's stupid since this is clearly a manufacturers problem. I definitely won't settle for it & will speak up in every way possible.

You might tell the more i type the more upset I'm getting. This is now my third watch in a row that I've purchased that's had a manufacturing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Juweinat View Post
    That is the one I purchased from wus. I'm a bit upset he didn't mention it in the ad, I will be contacting him to let him know the situation & send him the link to this post.

I spoke to doxa via live chat & sent them an email with the pictures. The person via live chat said they've never seen anything like it. He/she said they will speak to the head office on Monday if they can repair it & if so under warranty, I did ask about the transferable warranty, he/she will let me know on Monday.

Why the seller didn't take it back under warranty? I don't know, if they will only repair it while under the possession of the original owner that's stupid since this is clearly a manufacturers problem. I definitely won't settle for it & will speak up in every way possible.

You might tell the more i type the more upset I'm getting. This is now my third watch in a row that I've purchased that's had a manufacturing issue.
    Purchased from the mfg\AD, or used like this one? One risk when you buy used is you don't always know the full history.

Cosmetic defects like these are often picked up right away, on delivery or with a few days. Mechanical ones can show up any time. Given the 2 year warranty, it's curious the seller - assuming the first owner - didn't notice this and take care of if. Or did he buy it from someone else?

If you can, and this is upsetting you, maybe just return it to the seller for a refund? You just bought it, and regardless of warranty repair or on your dime, you're looking at an extended period where you won't have this watch: repairs can take months from start to finish.

Just a thought...

Damn that sucks and definitely noticeable on the sunburst dial, hope you get this sorted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information