Painting my bezel

Thread: Painting my bezel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Painting my bezel

Thanks to the many descriptions here about technique, I painted the numerals on my bezel last night, a spanking nice deep orange color. It came out pretty well, I must say! Thanks for the tips, gents!

But... along the way I tried to paint some black too. Especially the ring separating the matte inner timing portion from the polished outer depth portion. No matter how I painted and wiped, I kept pulling the paint out of that circular groove.

It doesn't seem like a scraper is a good idea in there, as it might mar the matte surface. So what's the trick to fix the black part too? Do I need to remove the bezel to do this trick? If so, how?

Thanks as always!

Re: Painting my bezel

Pete is the king when it comes to refinishing these bezels. I will see if he can't give us some tips.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thanks! It was his very well-written article that urged me into doing my numbers. He described using a Swiss Army knife tweezer as a scraper and that seems plausible. I'd just hate to scrape the matte finish off the inner bezel ring.

FWIW, I used a nice set of vintage lacquers from Testors (betcha didn't know they made the stuff eh?) and it flowed into the numbers really well. I might redo it and tint the orange a bit deeper red ... the jury's still out on that.

Regardless, now that the numbers look so nice, the black needs done too. And that will be my justification to remove/redo the orange!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The thin ring is a bit of a bollox to do actually. I clean it out with a needle to make sure that the surface is good enough for the paint to attach. The other top is to let it set. If the paint tin says let it cure for 12 hours, I leave it for 24.

I use the tweezers in the brushed inner ring but I haver also used a Matchstick (if you can find one). The square crossection is just about the pertfect width and ceratinly wont mark the steel or the finish.

For the thin ring there normally is no problem using the twezers as the brushed inner ring section slopes away. Actually depending on whether you bite your nails or not. The back of your nail is pretty go as you can scrape and keep a nice pressure on the paint.

Pete

Thanks! That is an excellent suggestion.

My only problem now is my impetuous nature... I want to paint it and wear it RIGHT NOW. What's this? Wait ... TWENTY FOUR hours?

I don't know if I can survive that. I'll have to get the ever-delectable Ms. Nanuq to take the watch away and hide it for 24h after the painting.

Quote Originally Posted by nanuq View Post
    Thanks! That is an excellent suggestion.

My only problem now is my impetuous nature... I want to paint it and wear it RIGHT NOW. What's this? Wait ... TWENTY FOUR hours?

I don't know if I can survive that. I'll have to get the ever-delectable Ms. Nanuq to take the watch away and hide it for 24h after the painting.
    Ha, ha, ha.... I'm right with you on the waiting thing. I know exactly how you feel. I'm exactly the same. But it really is better to wait and let the paint cure and harden. Saves having to redo bits.

Pete

I have painted a few of my vintage bezels and I am afraid I am very impatient so what I do is turn my oven on low to around 70ish and when I have painted the bezel I sling it in the oven and ten minutes later its dry and ready to remove the excess. I use a tiny watchmakers screwdiver to apply the paint and a wooden lollypop stick to remove excess paint.

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

Ah hah!! No waiting!! I like this answer much better.

Now then... how do you remove the bezel? On a Rolex you just slip a blade in between the case and bezel and gently twist. Is it the same with Doxa? I assume there's a tension spring, a uni-directional clicker and such in there that I have to take care not to lose?

I've read that Doxa bezels can not really be removed - is that true? Folks complained about not being able to get the bezel off to remove fine grit/silt from under it -
    Doxa 750T Pro, Bernhardt Globemaster, MKII Stingray 50

Typically a bezel can be popped off of any watch. Some people use a tool that clamps onto the bezel and pulls evenly, sort of like a steering wheel puller. Some are way too easy to get off (vintage Rolex) and others are nearly impossible. I'm thinking the vintage Doxas will be like that.

Of course one can always resort to "alternate" methods for removing a bezel. It just requires better aim than I have...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information