WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Photos of an early Doxa Dive Watch (Pre-Sub 300)

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  hoth2o 
#1 ·
Althought I do not have absolute proof, I have posted photos on several watch forums and the consensus of opinion is this is a real Doxa, not one made with Omega parts as I first suspected. Two different Omega experts both concurred that the case was very close to the Omega Seamaster 300, but not exact and both said that the bezel insert was definitely not Omega. Probably will never know for sure, but it's going to the watchmaker today for restoration (careful!!) and hopefully some good photos of the movement, inside of case and the back of the bezel (searching for numbers or Doxa name). I know that even with all that, it could still be a "Frankenwatch" but possibly some evidence of milling or fitting would show up. Also where would you find a case that accepts a working bezel and dial and movement, unless they were all made to fit. At any rate it's an intriguing mystery, which will probably never be solved unless someone turns up some old literature from Doxa, or find someone who worked for Doxa 50 years ago and remembers the watches that were produced during that era.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well one thing is for absolute certain. The caseback is a Doxa. Why do I say that? Well, the most obvious answer is that it says Doxa on the inside, but look at the outside...... it has a number

11804 4

My Conquistador has

11899 4

so I think it is safe to say that the the watch is almost definitely an earlier model Doxa. What we really need is a Rosetta Stone which can translate these numbers to production dates. Then we could start to solve a few of the Doxa mysteries that are still left...... 2nd edition of the book stuff :)

Pete

#5 ·
hoth2o said:
Has anyone noticed the same seller, I think, has another, although different, pre sub doxa diver up on the bay?
I just emailed the seller asking if he takes Paypal since his auction says to email him for Paypal information. His response was 'Yes but you have to pay the 4% PP fee'. (Which is against ebays rules AFAIK). I'm keeping an eye on it, the auction ends later today.....

Paul

#6 · (Edited)
I have gotten some interesting observations from some WIS on other forums. the consensus is it's isn't Omega based. Case is similar, but not exact. Bezel isn't Omega. And as Dr. Pete noted, the numbers on the case back are sequential. What I would like to find out is the number on the movement. I have looked over the underside of the movement with a 10X loupe, and no numbers are to be found, however they may be stamped on the front side, or under one of the bridges. It's all packed up and ready for the trip to my watchsmith. He is going to strip down and clean the movement. hopefully he will be able to identify the movement and possibly this will assist with the process of dating the watch.

Now to all of you who have offered information and advice. When I get the watch back, what sort of bracelet would you put it on? I believe that these look better on a bracelet, not a strap. Remember it's 19mm, so the Doxa 600T is too wide. What others would you recommend?
Thanks for all the help
Arthur

#7 ·
Arthur said:
I have gotten some interesting observations from some WIS on other forums. the consensus is it's isn't Omega based. Case is similar, but not exact. Bezel isn't Omega. And as Dr. Pete noted, the numbers on the case back are sequential. What I would like to find out is the number on the movement. I have looked over the underside of the movement with a 10X loupe, and no numbers are to be found, however they may be stamped on the front side, or under one of the bridges. It's all packed up and ready for the trip to my watchsmith. He is going to strip down and clean the movement. hopefully he will be able to identify the movement and possibly this will assist with the process of dating the watch.

Now to all of you who have offered information and advice. When I get the watch back, what sort of bracelet would you put it on? I believe that these look better on a bracelet, not a strap. Remember it's 19mm, so the Doxa 600T is too wide. What others would you recommend?
Thanks for all the help
Arthur
I believe I have a 19mm beed of rice bracelet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.