Please help me select a new Doxa.

Thread: Please help me select a new Doxa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me select a new Doxa.

I've been collecting and enjoying watches for the past two decades. My current collection, although simple and small, does include some diver's watches (the nicest is probably my SeaDweller, but I also have some Casios and an Omega). I'm considering buying my 1st Doxa (I know it will not be the last). My short list currently includes the Project Aware 1000T and a 5000T. Which do you recommend and why? Does the 1000T also have the bracelet secured to the case by screws? Are both the same ETA calibre?

Thanks for all your comments!!

Re: Please help me select a new Doxa.

I personally like the searambler 600T-graph.

It's a great deal at more than $1000 less than the other T-graphs.

Why is the searambler T-graph so much less than the other?
    Anyone with info would be great.

But any Doxa would be a great watch.
    I just got Doxa TUSA and I love it! (Thank you Doug)

From what I gather, the size of 1000T and 5000T are somewhat different (1000T being smaller), and issues for people.
    Last edited by pyiyha; October 6th, 2009 at 01:24.

Go for the Project aware 1000T for your first before they run out! Personnaly the Pro IS the Doxa to chose for a first.

The 1000T use regular spring bars and not screws. I'm not sure witch ones better?

(I'm so bad in english...Damn)

Eric

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Obviously a very personal question, and both are very nice pieces for certain!

There are some recent threads with good size comparison photos that may help you out, as the 1000T and 5000T models are considerably different in size and may affect your decision for wearability. The 1000T is considerably smaller in case size.

The 1000T uses an ETA 2824, whereas the 5000T has the 2892. Full details can be found on DOXA's website, of course. The 1000T does NOT use screws to secure the bracelet to the case. I know this was one of the owner-feedback driven upgrades on the 5000T made from feedback here on WUS.

I personally chose the 1000T (Caribbean) as my most recent DOXA purchase. I like the retro-designed case, size, and classic style ricebead bracelet. It is as close as you can get to the vintage Subs of the 60's and 70's which made DOXA famous.

That said, the 5000T looks like a beast, and I'm quite certain I'll have one in the 'ol watchbox at some point in the near future.

Rockin.

james
    DOXA Sub 1000T Caribbean, Seiko 6105, Omega Speedmaster .861, Seiko 6139, Marathon GSAR 06 Contract, Heuer "Siffert" Autavia, Rolex Submariner 16800, Rolex GMT Master 1675, Heuer "Viceroy" Autavia, Omega Speedmaster Mk II, Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox, Rolex Explorer I, Heuer Bundeswehr....and more.

Case size is a major consideration here. I enjoy a watch that I can wear all day with pure comfort, like vintage watches and care little about the current trend toward oversize watches. So the 1000T was the obvious choice for me. (Not that the 5000T is ridiculously large. It's not.) I have a 7 1/4" wrist, and find the 1000T perfectly proportional. The dial is a little smaller than a typical 42+ size watch mostly due to the cushion style case, so I think it wears more like a 40mm watch.

That said, the 5000T is Doxa's flagship, having a superior depth rating, helium release valve, and sports the ETA 2892, which some believe to be a step up from the 2824-2 that's in the 1000T. IMO, since the 2824-2 employed in the 1000T is the "top grade" version, this matters very little as both are very accurate, durable and capable movements. The depth rating is also a moot point since no one dives near 1000 meters.

So it comes down to the look you like best and the comfort factor. If you like a "modern" large watch over 44mm, the 5000T is a great choice. If you like the more classic Doxa look and are used to watches around the 40mm size, the 1000T is your best bet.

Thanks for all your comments. Please keep them coming!!

TBH, I really don't care much for fashion trends either. I have 36 mm watches, as well as 40 mm, and even a DeepSea which is 44, if I recall correctly.

Thanks again!

Don't forget you can still pickup a 750T if GMT floats your boat.

Here's one of mine...

Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

You might check out the 600T pro on the pre-owned market. About the same size as a 1000 but production has stopped. It also has a polished center links bracelet which is no longer made, very pretty.

My Son and I, St. Thomas
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

Enicar Sherpa Guide GMT
    Omega Seamaster Soccer Timer
    Breitling Navitimer 806
    IWC Mark XVIII
    Heuer Autavia 11630

There is the size difference, but I feel the bracelet and the way it wears is the biggest difference - the 1000t has a much more comfortable bracelet. Yes, the 5000t bracelet is more modern in design and construction, but not as comfortable on the wrist - just my opinion.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I ended up ordering a 1000T Project Aware -- I think that for my first Doxa, I wanted to stay as classical as possible.

BTW, So far I've had great experience with Doxa on the phone. Thanks, James!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information