Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By searcj01
  • 1 Post By nitron135
  • 2 Post By nepatriot
  • 2 Post By nepatriot

Thread: Question for Sharkhunter and Caribbean owners

Question for Sharkhunter and Caribbean owners

Doxa fam,

Let me start off by saying I love wearing my 1200T Sharkhunter that I picked up just about a year ago; such a unique watch, with great history behind the brand. This is no way me bashing the watch itself, nor is it regarding an ongoing service by Doxa (so please don't delete the thread lol!). Rather, I couldn't find any information/reference on this topic so I figured it's best to ask the knowledgeable folks in the Doxa sub-forum.

One thing I noticed after owning the watch for a while is that there are numerous (albeit small) particles under the crystal. I can't tell if they are on the dial or attached to the bottom of the sapphire crystal itself. They are most noticeable under sunlight or if you shine a flashlight on the dial. However, they are also visible if you zoom in on some of the wrist shots I've posted in the past. I'm under the impression that it might be particles of white lume or dial paint that have dislodged and stand out against the black dial. They are mostly focused towards the bottom left/center of the dial. I will post a few pictures below highlighting what I'm talking about. Prior to taking the pictures I wiped the crystal with an alcohol lens wipe and blew off any remaining dust with a lens blower. How many of you Doxa owners (probably with darker dialed models) have noticed similar spots? I'm up in the air if it's worth it to open up the watch to get them removed or just live with it until the next service. I understand we're not dealing with Pateks here but I still wanted to ask for the potential ease of mind. Thank you!

Mike
    Last edited by Mreal75; April 19th, 2019 at 17:02.
    Current Collection:
    Omega:
    SMPc Black, SMP 2254.50 Doxa: Sub 1200T Sharkhunter Seiko: SBBN031 Tuna, SBDC053 62Mas, SRPA21 PADI Turtle, SKX009 Oris: Aquis Blue Hamilton: Khaki Field Mechanical G-Shock: GW7900B-1

Instagram: @the.realwatchman

Re: Question for Sharkhunter and Caribbean owners

Interesting. I have a sub300 50th sharkhunter and have not experienced this. I'd likely leave it alone, but it may be worth contacting Doxa about this to see if they might help.
    Mreal75 and cmeisenzahl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by searcj01 View Post
    Interesting. I have a sub300 50th sharkhunter and have not experienced this. I'd likely leave it alone, but it may be worth contacting Doxa about this to see if they might help.
    Thanks for the reply. Itís weird because if it is dial paint or lume, whose to say that it wonít happen again after having it cleaned and resealed. Iím not ruling out the possibility that itís ordinary dust either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Collection:
    Omega:
    SMPc Black, SMP 2254.50 Doxa: Sub 1200T Sharkhunter Seiko: SBBN031 Tuna, SBDC053 62Mas, SRPA21 PADI Turtle, SKX009 Oris: Aquis Blue Hamilton: Khaki Field Mechanical G-Shock: GW7900B-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A 300BL here and not seeing that either. Also had a 1200 Pro before and did not notice anything like that. Weird.

New dust shouldnít be getting in as itís meant to be a waterproof watch.

Was it there in the earlier photos you can find? Wonder if it got in at assembly time.
    Mreal75 likes this.

Question for Sharkhunter and Caribbean owners

Quote Originally Posted by nitron135 View Post
    A 300BL here and not seeing that either. Also had a 1200 Pro before and did not notice anything like that. Weird.

New dust shouldnít be getting in as itís meant to be a waterproof watch.

Was it there in the earlier photos you can find? Wonder if it got in at assembly time.
    Yes the marks on the bottom left of the dial have been there since the watch was new. Iím going to look on my computer for some old shots and see if I find anything. Iíve been putting it off and trying to ignore them but I think the OCD has finally won out lol

Edit: Found an old picture from when the watch was fairly new. I cropped down on the picture and they are still visible although they werenít the focus of the image. You could see them in the center/bottom left where I circled. Also, I just noticed the rough edges of the hour hand which might be the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mreal75; April 20th, 2019 at 15:42.
    Current Collection:
    Omega:

Did you buy this new from Doxa?

If so, it's still under warranty (you mention getting it a little over a years ago). As long as no one opened it up, then this is a Doxa QC error, and Doxa is responsible for poor QC. They'll take care of it; you just have to go through their CS, and be without your watch for what could be a very long time.

However, you mention "next service"; has it been serviced since you owned it, or before if this is used? If it was serviced by Doxa, then they will take care of it. If not, then who ever opened it up is most likely responsible.

Bottom line, there should not be particles inside a new watch. Same after servicing, unless documented as pre-existing, and you were informed prior to service.

The hands should have smooth edges, not rough. Poor paint job or hands not finished. That's 2 more QC errors by Doxa; not inspecting hands 1. before putting into parts, and 2. before assembly. The later is inexcusable. If this is a new watch, Doxa earns 3 QC total errors on this one. These things can happen.

If you had it serviced, then you might want to contact who ever opened it up. A professional watch repair shop will take care if it.

Personally, if it was my watch. I'd get this taken care of, if still under warranty, or had been serviced. This detracts value from the watch, in case you decide to flip it at some point.

Good luck!
    Last edited by nepatriot; April 20th, 2019 at 17:29.
    Mreal75 and Londonboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    Did you buy this new from Doxa?

If so, it's still under warranty (you mention getting it a little over a years ago). As long as no one opened it up, then this is a Doxa QC error, and Doxa is responsible for poor QC. They'll take care of it; you just have to go through their CS, and be without your watch for what could be a very long time.

However, you mention "next service"; has it been serviced since you owned it, or before if this is used? If it was serviced by Doxa, then they will take care of it. If not, then who ever opened it up is most likely responsible.

Bottom line, there should not be particles inside a new watch. Same after servicing, unless documented as pre-existing, and you were informed prior to service.

The hands should have smooth edges, not rough. Poor paint job or hands not finished. That's 2 more QC errors by Doxa; not inspecting hands 1. before putting into parts, and 2. before assembly. The later is inexcusable. If this is a new watch, Doxa earns 3 QC total errors on this one. These things can happen.

If you had it serviced, then you might want to contact who ever opened it up. A professional watch repair shop will take care if it.

Personally, if it was my watch. I'd get this taken care of, if still under warranty, or had been serviced. This detracts value from the watch, in case you decide to flip it at some point.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply. Yup, this watch was bought brand new from Doxa in May 2018 and was never opened. I think you're right...best bet is probably to go through the warranty dept. although I know that can take a long time. I'm interested to see how they resolve it. I think this is a sign from God that I should've just bit the bullet and went with the classic orange dial lol!
    Current Collection:
    Omega:

Quote Originally Posted by Mreal75 View Post
    "I think this is a sign from God that I should've just bit the bullet and went with the classic orange dial lol!"
    Ah, makes sense now: believe Orange is the required dial color for all first-time Doxa buyers.

The Shark must have slipped through... or they're playing with you: figured you would have returned it for the dust, and when fixing that, they would have surprised you with the PROPER colored dial too.

Sounds like they're getting a little crazy over at Doxa these days ... solid gold watches, new (er. sort of) WUS board, newbies getting Sharks. Next thing you know they'll be selling silver 1200's and 800T's with Tritium again.
    Mreal75 and tsteph12 like this.

Double'post WUS gods strike again...

Thread Information