Sea-Dweller 750T size comparison

Thread: Sea-Dweller 750T size comparison

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sea-Dweller 750T size comparison

Taking a couple of shots of the newie today and thought I'd do a quich comparison. This shows the 600 T-Graph and 750T and the SD. The Rolex is actually quite small. I remember reading about how people thought it was bigger and heavier than the Submariner. Well compared to the 750T case, it is a wimp. It is surprising how un-noticable it is compared to the big orange dinner plate dial of the 750T and the T-Graph.

Interestingly enough, I have seen it written that the SD dial is about 1mm less than the diameter of the Submariner.

I tried a couple of shots comparing the SD against the 600T Sharkhunter. The sizes are much more comparable but all the photos were crap because I couldn't get the lighting right for the domed crystal on the 600T. I'll try again later.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Sea-Dweller 750T size comparison

Owning a Doxa 600 Pro, 600 T Graph, and a Rolex Submariner and GMTII, I was always amazed when Rolex fans said not to get the SD vs. Sub because of the added weight and height. I guess they didn't own anyother brands, or at least not a Doxa or other large cased watch!
    Aude,Tace, Vide
    Virtus Junxit, Mors Non Separabit

odp

Doc, Would you say the Dweller is comfortable to wear and not overly large? I am torn between the Dweller and the Sub for my next purchase and have been slightly put off the Dweller by reports that it is too heavy and prone to damage due to its height.
    I would greatly respect your opinion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well I've only had it a day but here are my initial impressions. The size of the SD and the 750T are identical in length from lug to lug....really, it doesn't look like it but it is true. The SD is not as wide. The Tonneau case of the 750T is definitely wider. The 750T is heavier than the SD. The watch head is heavier and the bracelet is heavier. The SD bracelet uses hollow center links and is not 20mm over the whole length. The SD clasp is not befitting of a 4 grand watch. It works and is comfortable but is tinney and just feels cheap. Overall the SD wears smaller than the 750T but maybe that's because I'm used to the big sunshine dial of the 750T Pro

I'll be doing a full comparison review with weights and dimensions and a load of photos.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by odp
    Doc, Would you say the Dweller is comfortable to wear and not overly large? I am torn between the Dweller and the Sub for my next purchase and have been slightly put off the Dweller by reports that it is too heavy and prone to damage due to its height.
    I would greatly respect your opinion.
    Let me answer this real quick with one simple sentence:"Get the Sea-Dweller"

It´s a really great watch and the difference in size and weight is neglectable.Actually if you look at the dial from up above and hold a 16610 Sub and a 16600 side by side,the Sea-Dweller looks smaller as the dial measures about 1 mm less in diameter.In addition to thatthe bezel is thicker and this gives the SD a better look IMHO.

It would be best if you would go to your local Rolex AD and have a closer look at both models side by side.But I would get the SD over the SUB anytime.

Cherrs.Oliver
    Last edited by Oliver; April 14th, 2006 at 17:18.

Where I stay I do see more Subs on people's wrists. The Sub is by far more popular than the SD. Could it mean the Sub is more wearable? Or could it mean the popularity is due to its lower selling price? I'm not sure about about other markets, but here the SD's price is higher.

I also own the Sub 14060M (no date) and I can tell you the weight difference between it and the SD is pretty obvious when I switch them.

Of course, if you still can't decide, then buy both :-D. For good measure, I also added the Doxa Caribbean 750T.

@ Oliver
    Would you please be so kind and change your avatar? B-)
    This picture had been made by me and is used exclusively in the r-l-x forum.
    Many Thanks in advance
    moby711
    Last edited by moby711; April 11th, 2006 at 15:34.

DONE

Sorry about that I snatched it of the Google Picture thingy!

Cheers,Oliver

Actually I agree with John on this one. There is no reason to prefer the Seadweller over the 750T. Is it a better watch? Well that depends on your point of view. Is the Roklex movement better than the ETA in the Doxa? Arguably yes. More jewels and more accurate. Although there was a tendency for movement manufacturers to put jewels in just to increase the count and they did not actually benefit the workings of the movement. Is this the case for the Rolex, I don't know but I would doubt it.

Having worn the Rolex for 2 days I went back to the 750T today. The dial on the SD seems considerably smaller than it is. The 750 Pro is a watch with significantly more wrist presence. I've been in a squillion meetings over the last few weeks and yesterday 2 people said, hey Pete wheres the big orange watch. They didn't even know the SD was a Rolex until I told them. I think it is the magnifier that people see as being Rolex. Not the dial or bezel or shape.

Is the SD worth almost 3 times the price of the 750T. Actually I would have to say no. If you want the feel of hey check me I have arrived then yes, but in terms of soemthing that tells the time then no. But again is a SUb 750T 3 times better than the Tissot 1000 again I would say no. It is all about personal perception and that's why people buy Rolexes and why people by g-shocks. I don't think anyone woulkd argue that the SD is a better more accurate timepiece than a G-Shock, but you will spend 4,000 dollars on something which is less accurate than a Casio.

We could argue for ever about intrinsic value and percieved quality. People buy what people want. I would never have bought a seadweller. I had the chance to trade a watch I never wore for one which is considered by some the best dive watch in the world. I took the chance because I knew that it would be easier for me to sell the SD and raise capital than the Dreadnought. I'm glad I did it but no matter how good the SD is the big Doxa keeps calling.

Buy what you want and when you have both the SD and the 750T then you wont have to listen to opinionated gits like Oliver and me. You will be able to make your own decision. Until then all that you see and read here are personal opinions. The funny thing about an opinion is that is exactly what it is; an opinion.

Pete

John, I would suggest that this once in particular, you may be mistaken in your assumption that oliver is bad-mouthing DOXA, for the way I read his post, he was not downplaying the DOXA SUB series to the rolex, but rather the submariner to the sea dweller, as referenced by the part numbers added to his comments. the comparison strayed just a bit from it's original intent.

troy
    “One person with courage makes a majority.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information