WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Searambler SUB 300T - Old Watch Questions

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Rainman154 
#1 ·
I just received my Great Uncle's DOXA Searambler Sub 300 T. :-!
I have never heard of Doxa before and am interested in learning more.

I wondered if anyone could tell me what years this watch was in production???
It looks like something from the 60's or 70's.
It does not have the original band, but is in great working condition.
Anyone know where I might be able to get a manual? Or how I could get an original band for it??

It's all steel and the face is a light silver. The minute hand is orange with a bit of silver in the middle. The second hand has an orange square on it. It also shows the date too.
Any ideas on dates for this??
Also any suggestions for maintanence?? I have no idea if this was ever serviced.
:thanks

#2 ·
I personally don't know where you could get that information, there are other who will be glad to help you out.

I however, would loveeee to see pictures of this watch!!! :)

#3 ·
Pictures would also be very helpful in getting an aproximate date (there were subtle changes to the SUB through it's years of manufacture), and for recommendations on servicing/restoration.

Sounds like it is a Searambler (the silver dial), and perhaps may need a movement service (the silver in the center of the minute hand, could you be seeing the dial due to missing lume?). When the lume degrades and falls from the hands of the older watches, it can get into the movement causing damage.

Any way it goes, you've acquired a very desireable vintage piece. Oh, the original SS bracelets were not all that durable, thus far fewer of these have survived than the watches themselves. When they come up for sale, they tend to command a lot of dollars for what you are getting. Many have sought alternative SS bracelets, some even modifying end links and installing modern Doxa beads of rice bracelets.

Plenty more info to be found, do a search or two here on the site on bracelets, service or restoration, or vintage SUBs and you'll find a wealth of info. Also, try to put up some pics, and some of our real experts are bound to give you some great advice :-!.

#5 ·
The pics help out immensely. Your watch is a pre-synchron era sailboat caseback Doxa sub. That dates it to 1968-1972ish. It looks as if it got quite the workout in its younger years. I honestly think I would send it to Jack@IWW for a full restoration. It looks like it will turn-out to be a really decent watch though once it gets a bit of work done.

HTH

#6 ·
Thanks!
So who is this Jack@IWW??? Is he here in the states??
I just called DOXA and they quoted me around $500 to do what I want done to it, by sending to Austria.
Here is really what I want done...
I want a new crystal.
I want the insides cleaned out and new seals put on.

I DO NOT want the scratches taken out of the steel. I kinda like it that way.

Besides that.... what else could I have done?? Can I get new hands? New illumination on them??

Any idea as to the value????
From what I have read on here, it looks like getting a band for it is next to impossible. I guess I will leave the one on it that I have.

#7 ·
Looks like a great piece of Doxa history. If I am not mistaken, there seems to be a lume "blip" by the date window. I think that would make it an earlier Searambler. But, I'm not the resident expert on vintage.

I have two vintage 300Ts at IWW with Jack right now. One is a Searambler similar to yours. IWW is in North Carolina. You can google his company and get some helpful information.

Good luck,
Scott

#9 ·
I have to agree Jack would work wonders on it. Yes you would want Jack to do a re-lume job on it and repaint the bezel, plus the things you have listed. A good service and lube ...
Take a look at the link Jason sent and see the work that Jack has done in the past ... he is great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.