WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko Doxa !!!!!!!

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  msa6712 
#1 ·
#5 ·
OK guy's, as has been discussed before a few months ago, more marriages, fakes and Franken Doxa's. I took a while, but they turn up.
One of the very helpful tools in avoiding deception is doc. Peter Millar's book.
Every collector should have one. It is not the panacee for every identification problem, but for most.
Regards,
Adrian.

#6 ·
In fairness though I don't think the seller is trying to deceive anyone with this one. He's been pretty clear with the description of the watch, even down to who made the dial and where the work was done. Can't say fairer than that, really.
Personally my issue is why someone would want to take a nice SKX171 and put on a doxa lookalike dial and badly matched hands? :-x
Rich

#8 ·
Why are you guys getting so bent out of shape over a simple mod? perhaps he liked the dial design and wanted to do something with it. I highly doubt that he was trying to build a Doxa. BTW, I made such a Doxeiko about 18 months ago. here are some pictures for you:

The one on the left:

BTW, before you guys scream that the one on the right is a Doxa copy, you should know that that one is vintage from the late 60's. Here are a few more pics:

BTW, I also own 3 very real Doxa's and don't feel that my little mod takes anything away from them. Here is my caribean:

No one is trying to pass the watch off as the real thing so what's there to get all bent out of shape over. at least the guy showed some horological interest and creativity as opposed to simply opening his wallet and buying whatever shows up next on the company's store. Collecting is much more than just watch buying and IMHO, you guys shouldn't give others a hard time just because they aren't doing the type of collecting you prefer. Personally I'm more of the "Vive la difference" philosophy.

I wonder if you guys also felt the need to ridicule pete when he made his Irishstar?

#9 ·
Hi Isthmus

I don't think anyone's getting "bent out of shape" about anything.

If you read the thread objectively you'll see that it was ponted out that the seller wasn't trying to pass the watch off as anything but a modded Seiko.

Personally I just don't get why anyone would want to mod a watch to look like another watch. I can understand modding watches, but there's no originality to putting a Doxa look-a-like dial on a Seiko IMO. Where's the creativity in that?

My point was the watch looks better as Seiko made it. The SKX171 is a nice Seiko diver - I have one. I like it to look like a SKX171.

Sometimes it just seems that watches get modded for the sake of modding.

Rich

#10 ·
Hi Isthmus

I don't think anyone's getting "bent out of shape" about anything.
<snip>
Heh, heh ... FWIW, my impression was that Isthmus was the one who was "bent out of shape". LOL, I guess it's time for a group hug since this Internet doesn't do a good job of giving everyone the same impression of the emotional content of messages ...

Myself, I like "personalized" watches, and enjoying seeing the results of what folks have modified to make one that resonate with them. |>

--Keith

#11 ·
Hey Isthmus the only person getting worked up here is you mate!

I started this post to say WTF - i personally don't understand making a non-Doxa look 80% like a Doxa - but hey if that fills yer boots crack on with it.

Each to his own but no need to get jumpy over it... :roll:

David.

#12 · (Edited)
These Seiko "Doxa look-alike" dials (with and without the Doxa script) have been sold on the SCTF for the past several years in various versions(have even owned a few) as mods to various Seiko diver variants (6309, 7002, 007, etc...). These are obviously modeled after the original Doxa. As for the comparison to the Seiko, the poster made...it's obviously not the same with the raised indices...unsure of what point he's trying to make there...

oh well, typical post of someone obviously in need of more Doxa's in his collection.

regards
Mark
--Doxa 1000T Sharkhunter
--Doxa 750T Searambler
--Doxa 600T T-Graph Pro
--Doxa 300T Pro
--Doxa 250T Sharkhunter
and 175 more watches in the fold...............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.