To Service or Not to Service...

Thread: To Service or Not to Service...

To Service or Not to Service...

I've recently picked up an older 750T Sharkhunter which I am debating on sending in for service. Currently the watch is running within COSC specs (-4sec/24hour) however being that I am sure it is 4-5 years old maybe it's due for a movement check up and water resistance testing.

When do you send YOUR Doxas' in for service?
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

Re: To Service or Not to Service...

Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1 View Post
    I've recently picked up an older 750T Sharkhunter which I am debating on sending in for service. Currently the watch is running within COSC specs (-4sec/24hour) however being that I am sure it is 4-5 years old maybe it's due for a movement check up and water resistance testing.

When do you send YOUR Doxas' in for service?
    If you are planning to dive with it, I would have it pressure-tested. If you do not plan to dive with it, I wouldn't do a thing to/with it. I know that I should tell you to have it serviced. However, if it were me............I wouldn't have it serviced. Don't fix what ain't broke. We could debate ad nauseum about the wear on the movement, etc. However, I just don't see the point right now for service. Send it in to service in a year or two when it starts keeping poor time IMHO.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    If you are planning to dive with it, I would have it pressure-tested. If you do not plan to dive with it, I wouldn't do a thing to/with it. I know that I should tell you to have it serviced. However, if it were me............I wouldn't have it serviced. Don't fix what ain't broke. We could debate ad nauseum about the wear on the movement, etc. However, I just don't see the point right now for service. Send it in to service in a year or two when it starts keeping poor time IMHO.
    Same here. If I did anything, it would be a pressure check and that's all. Won't hurt and better safe than sorry.

With that said, my Whiteshark predates your Sharkie, and I've never even had it pressure checked, though I dive it without hesitation. I could be wrong, but with modern materials, I think you need to get much further down the road than four or five years, before o-rings and gaskets start deteriorating.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm diving my 3+ year old Sharkhunter and probably won't service it for a couple more years at least.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Thanks for the feedback guys! I feel better about leaving it as is for now.
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

Solid advice!!

I never service my watches unless something is broken ; i used my Seamaster for 8 years , including some saturation dives and just serviced it a year ago after it was loosing about 20 min. a day
    Pressure test ?? it's just an o-ring for the seals and i work with lots of underwaterequipment that use o-rings / rubber seals that are never pressuretested before we use it . IMO not a lot to worry about , if the watch is running fine leave it

Thread Information