Service regularly or wait until issues arise?

View Poll Results: Service regularly or wait until issues arise?

Voters
64. This poll is closed
  • Regular service every 4 or 5 years

25 39.06%
  • Wait until watch shows signs of trouble then service it.

39 60.94%

Thread: Service regularly or wait until issues arise?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Service regularly or wait until issues arise?

Servicing an automatic Doxa can be costly. I know that for the most part most of our Doxa’s are only a few years old. But, I recently purchased a 300T Reissue and it is around servicing time. So I ask should I send it back for servicing or wait until a problem occurs? :oops:

I can say that it currently gains 3 seconds a day. This is well within COSC specs.
    Thanks Nick

Re: Service regularly or wait until issues arise?

Quote Originally Posted by twostirish222 View Post
    Servicing an automatic Doxa can be costly. I know that for the most part most of our Doxa’s are only a few years old. But, I recently purchased a 300T Reissue and it is around servicing time. So I ask should I send it back for servicing or wait until a problem occurs? :oops:

I can say that it currently gains 3 seconds a day. This is well within COSC specs.
    For me, it depends. I have several Doxas that I do not plan on wearing in the next 5 years. I do not plan to have them serviced. With my son's GMT Pro, (he is 4 right now) I plan to send it in for service in 18-20 years right before I give it to him.

Right now I have 4 Doxas on the winder and one on the wrist. I do plan on having all five serviced in 5 years. I know it will be expensive, but maybe they will give me a 5-watch discount.

Another thing to consider is water resistance. You should have this checked as well (more frequently?). Especially if you take it diving which I plan to continue doing.
    Last edited by Jason71; August 13th, 2007 at 12:32.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

You left out the option of "it depends". Personally, my theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"*. But this is about as subjective an issue as "winder or no winder". I've heard of people going 20 years and more without service to an automatic.

Then again, Doxa does recommend every five years I think. And who knows better than them how to care for their product? Also keep in mind, that what is a minor issue and is caught and taken care of in routine maintenance could turn into a major repair if let to run it's course.

*My one caveat to this is as Jason said, diving. I subscribe to the theory that a pressure check for a watch used in diving is cheap insurance, and feel this should be done at least every two years, every year if the watch is worn daily, used roughly or in harsh conditions (exceptionally hot, cold or dusty). JMO.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The big issues are use and usage. If you dive, you need routine pressure checks, these can be done by any watchmaker that has invested in the equipment and would not include service on the movement. As to movement service, it depends on how much use and the working conditions of the watch. The modern synthetic lubricants last far longer than they did in the recent past so cleaning and lubrication are not as critical as they used to be.The more watches you own and the frequency of use changes the service intervals. If you own 12 watches and give them equal time that means you are using it one month per year. The movement should be just broken in after about five years.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Completely agree with having the watch pressure tested if you dive with it. I think that if you wear the watch regularly like I do (diving, daily, work, etc.) then you should adhere to the service interval recommended. To build on T Bone's point, I think that it's like a car - regular servicing can go a long way to preventing a serious problem if the car isn't serviced at all.

Just my two cents...

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Do they service the cosmetics of the watch as well? You know, remove scartches, scuffs, re-satin/re-polish etc.... Because if they do, I definetely think its worth it every4 or 5 years to keep her looking like new! What do you guys think?

I have had my Rolex serviced and it came back pristine! They literally take it apart and rebuild it, replacing everything that is worn. Maybe even more important, they remove all the old lubricant and replace that with 2007 brand lubricant. It was costly, but for $375 I got a factory fresh, like new Rolex.

One caveat, if your watch has ANYTHING that you do not want changed or replaced (the face, any "patina" that you do not want removed, etc.), you need to make that real clear BEFORE sending it. Most "full services" will probably take your 20 year old face, if needed, and replace it with the current one that is being used
    Last edited by braindoc; July 30th, 2007 at 04:46.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Heard of a guy with a Double Red $ea Dweller that sent it in for service.... got back a "new" dial . Talk about being PO'd!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Servicing regularly, every 5 years will keep your watch in top condition. Remember guys, there are O-ring seals in your dive watches, and lube and oil as well. I'd hate to see your car if you didn't service it regularly!
    Regards,

TKite
    Commercial Diver

Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL, 3300ft/1000m
    Zinex Trimix, 6600ft/2000m
    Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, 3300ft/1000m
    Tissot Seastar 1000, 1000ft/300m
    Seiko Land Monster 660ft/200m
    Seiko "pepsi", 660ft/200m
    Timex Humvee, 660ft/200m

for me, part of the fun of watch collecting is...

the amazingly intricate mechanisms called movements, and how they can smoothly and accurately translate the winding motion via a bunch of gears and pivots to the hands. I can't imagine this happening without some periodic effort by me to ensure that the movement is taken care of.
    DW

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information