So, I bought this nice vintage 300t, but...
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cpotters
  • 3 Post By sfglenrock

Thread: So, I bought this nice vintage 300t, but...

So, I bought this nice vintage 300t, but...

Hey everybody,

I've been on WUS for a while, but never over here on the Doxa board (except as a lurker). I'd always coveted an old 300t, but always found them a bit "fussy" in the dials - too much printing that I found a distraction. Recently one popped up without it - and it APPEARS to be an old one - but I can't find any others with just a plain dial. They all seem to be branded either US Divers, Spirotechnique or Synchron. Everything else about the watch looks right, including the BOR bracelet (missing a few links, drat!) and the back, signed Doxa crown, etc. Doesn't seem to be a redone dial, and it doesn't look unusual under a blacklight.

I'm happy with the watch, and it runs like a champ, so no worries. I guess what I'm asking is whether or not you smarter minds in this forum have seen unbranded 300t dials from the 60's before,,,and oh, BTW, any suggestions for lengthening the bracelet about an inch.

Thanks for letting me come to the party -
    Attached Images Attached Images

MHe225 likes this.
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.

Re: So, I bought this nice vintage 300t, but...

Looks fine to me, Charlie. I've had a couple with no additional branding. Here's one that looks very close to yours and it also had the sailboat caseback. As for the links, keep an eye out on the bay or put out a wtb but they're tough to come by.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sfglenrock View Post
    Looks fine to me, Charlie. I've had a couple with no additional branding. Here's one that looks very close to yours and it also had the sailboat caseback. As for the links, keep an eye out on the bay or put out a wtb but they're tough to come by.
    Thanks, Steve. I should have known I could count on you. I forgot you were a Doxa man, too. What is the conventional wisdom about re-applying the orange paint back into the numbers on the bezel? Do it or leave it alone. Yours looks great. Anyway - Best regards...
    Last edited by cpotters; January 20th, 2014 at 02:20.
    Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post
    Thanks, Steve. I should have known I could count on you. I forgot you were a Doxa man, too. What is the conventional wisdom about re-applying the orange paint back into the numbers on the bezel? Do it or leave it alone. Yours looks great. Anyway - Best regards...
    It's pretty simple to re-apply the paint and if the bezel numbers are deep enough to hold the paint, then I would do it.

I've been lazy and still haven't done it with my latest Doxa. I have the paint if you need it. Someday I'll get to doing mine...

cpotters, gaopa and MHe225 like this.
    Steve

Hello Cpotters,

your watch is legit as Steve already mentioned, let me just add some detailed model infos.

Your 300T is a 11899-4 2nd generation Sailingship Big Crown Case with the second Generation Bezel style, later also used on the Synchron cases.

The bezel is in feet but your dial has no USD Logo which means the watch might have been sold on a different market than the US where also feet measurement is used.

European Market Doxa´s for example had this dial but with meter scale on the bezel.

The dial is correct and the crown should be signed DOXA if it´s the one which came with the watch. Replacement crowns in the later days where always unsigned.

Welcome to the DOXAHOLIC Club

Regards Bernie

That's a handsome vintage Pro you've got there! I bought mine from sfglenrock (thanks again!) and it only took about 15 minutes to paint the bezel numbers with Testors black and orange model paint. I just used a toothpick to dab the paint into the numbers, let it sit for 20-30 seconds, and then wipe away the excess. I bought a SUB600T bracelet for mine because I have huge wrists and there was just no way I would ever find (or be able to afford) an original bracelet with enough links to fit. I really like the beads of rice SUB600T bracelet and it fit right on with no modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by cpotters View Post
    You can also try an orange crayon - the colors close and its quick & easy.
    Rolex 5513 No Date Sub
    Rolex 114270 Explorer

Seiko 7548

Quote Originally Posted by Medphred View Post
    You can also try an orange crayon - the colors close and its quick & easy.
    An orange crayon?!! That sounds fairly easy... will the color stick to the numbers or will it rather stick to the sleeve of my shirts
    <span style=font-family: Lucida Console>http://i39.tinypic.com/fw17bc.jpg</span>
    I wonder about Ed´s 2nd watch

C u

René

Lemania rules

Thread Information