Like Tree15Likes
  • 6 Post By siddhartha
  • 1 Post By rackness
  • 3 Post By cuthbert
  • 5 Post By MHe225

Thread: Sub 300 50th ann. SR impressions

Sub 300 50th ann. SR impressions

Hey guys,

I've been with Doxa since the 2002 reissue. I somehow found the order link, and soon had ordered a 300T Divingstar reissue. That one is long-gone, and I've been through more than a couple of Doxas through the years.
    My currents are the Divingstar GMT, the 2002 Sub 300T reissue, and now, the 300 SeaRambler 50th. All fine, fine, watches.

So I got my SR yesterday, and sized it up. This was after just missing the FedEx guy at my house, after I had thought I redirected the package to my local FedEx pickup. Turns out that I was sent 2 packages from Doxa, one in error, and that one was the one I tried to redirect-it was caught and sent back to Doxa before I got it, so hopefully that didn't delay anyone!
    I found the bracelet typical to resize, at least from Doxa-the screws are tight, so it takes a bit of finesse, but it's manageable.

I was not expecting the COSC certificate, as I must have overlooked that. Nice surprise, as was the book.

I was a bit worried as the box from FedEx was crushed in the corner, and looked like it was left outside in the rain overnight, but the contents inside were perfect.
    I was very happy that it was packaged in a tube-just as I thought the Sub SHOULD be!

Timekeeping is great so far, but I will not even bother to precisely time it for a few weeks. I like it to settle in, and both of us get used to each other first.

I think the bracelet is spot-on. Great update to the classic BOR, and has a bit of sideways flex that is welcome, and matches the vintage one. This is far beefier, however.

I love the side profile, and this one fits the empty spot left when I sold the vintage Sub 300 (no T) that I used to own. I loved that watch, but was a bit worried about day-to-day use with it, and didn't wear it much at all as a result.

I would say that this is a great update to the vintage 300-series of watches. It has better materials (like the sapphire crystal) where they were needed, and is now, in my opinion, a perfect dive/onshore companion.

I can see how some may feel the dial is a bit small. To me, it is a homage to the original, and has the same effect. I don't find the dial too small. I think the proportions of this watch are really great, and it stands out from the crowd.

I am guessing the bezel will get scratched up, much like the originals, perhaps to a lesser extent. I know Doxa has worked on this through the years, but some scratching is inevitable.

For now, I am going to enjoy this one. I went with the SR dial, as I used to also own a SR TGraph, and I miss that combo. Maybe pick one of those up again, someday....

Enjoy yours!
    Ripcode, cuthbert, lab-guy and 3 others like this.
    --
    "What you think, you become"

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

Re: Sub 300 50th ann. SR impressions

Great overview, I have had 8-10 doxa's including a mint black lung, which I sold as I was afraid to wear it daily because of lack of parts to service and or repair, but the dimensions and the weight of that black lung 300 no "T" were perfect for me, so when Doxa announced the anniversary would be the exact dimensions I signed up and am waiting on the Sharky.

Quote Originally Posted by trianglebrick View Post
    Great overview, I have had 8-10 doxa's including a mint black lung, which I sold as I was afraid to wear it daily because of lack of parts to service and or repair, but the dimensions and the weight of that black lung 300 no "T" were perfect for me, so when Doxa announced the anniversary would be the exact dimensions I signed up and am waiting on the Sharky.
    I think you will find that this one fits the niche perfectly. It's really a great watch. I think this is the one the purists were waiting for!
    --
    "What you think, you become"

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I am very surprised at the comfort while wearing overall given the size. I am really enjoying this watch.
    siddhartha likes this.

Coming back from work I found mine, number 99.

My impressions: great quality piece, lightweight in comparison to other divers I have, more or less the size of a Vostok Neptune, the bracelet is beautiful, probably the best part of the watch...what I would have improved? Probably I would have made it taper to 18mm like the original one, from below the claps looks too big in comparison to the case.

Also, I would have made the caseback less tumbled like the original, this was meant to be a small and lightweight diver. All the rest is spot on!

Somebody should prepare the banners for the owners of this watch.
    airdiver, Genebe and laughinggull like this.

Great review. I also have been around since the 2002 re-issue and wish I had kept mine. I did keep all the rest that I bought so I learned my lesson. How does the size of the new 300 compare to the 600T size watches? Obviously the crystal is taller on the 300 but what about the case size? I was always under the impression that the 600T size watches that started in 2003 were comparable to the original Doxas' back in the day.

Wayne
    Doxa Sub 1000T Professional, Doxa Sub 600T Professional, Doxa Sub 600T Divingstar, Doxa Sub 600T Sharkhunter, Doxa Sub 1200T Searambler, Seiko Orange "Sumo", Seiko SKX011J, Seiko SKX011K
    Seiko 7002-7039, Casio G-Shock DW5600, Zixen Trimix 44 diver(Black face), Zixen Zulu Black face diver. Scurfa Nato, Scurfa Diver One SS, Scurfa Bell Diver 1, Scurfa MS 18, Citizen Eco-drive 300m diver.

Great overview! I was one of those that found the dial to be too small at first, but after wearing it for a day, I got more accustomed to how it looks. Now, I am really beginning to love the overall look of the watch. And I compared it to my 1000T Sharkhunter, and found the dial to be almost the same size. The edge of the crystal is what makes the dial look small at first.

A thread about the Searambler and no pictures?

As of today, I am in the position to rectify that:

Name:  121208_Doxa_Sub_300_50th_26_300_6.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  288.3 KB

Thread Information