Sub 300T vs Sub 300 Black Lung
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By adg31
  • 2 Post By Stabulldogs

Thread: Sub 300T vs Sub 300 Black Lung

I am 6 months into my watch collecting hobby and 2 years into diving (Maldives trip next week if anyone happens to be heading there let me know). I have an SD43 and was watching a long YouTube series on the history of dive watches....loved Doxa’s place in history, the orange dial, and then ability to have a modern quality and warranty w the 50th anniversary (just like the SD43)

So, I want to get an orange dial Doxa, and I want to get one that closely resembles the early day watches, which to me points me to the 300 Sub? And then see the black lung version a year later (have some aqua lung dive gear so kinda cool)....I’m leaning to the black lung, but is the “more classic” one just the regular 300 sub? Either feel more collectible over time? Any others I should consider.

Would love to buy one in the next week for my trip!

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Sub 300T vs Sub 300 Black Lung

"Everything is a limited edition" for the most part in Doxa watches. You will likely have to pick up a used one. As to your SD50 Sea Dweller, you should definitely keep that it will be worth much more money at some point in time since there is a dial change betwen 2017 and 2018. (I also have the SD50).

I don't own a Doxa, but would like to at some point. Good luck.

Here's my SD50 Sea Dweller:

Name:  Rolex1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  105.9 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stabulldogs View Post
    I’m leaning to the black lung, but is the “more classic” one just the regular 300 sub? Either feel more collectible over time? Any others I should consider.
    I'm a big fan of the earlier vintage Doxa 300 no-T watches and have been lucky enough to be able to own and handle various examples.

Both the regular 300 Pro and Black Lung are decent watches. However, to most die-hard vintage Doxa collectors there is no doubt that the Black Lung reissue is the one to get. The Black Lung was one of the earliest prototype dials for an already rare watch and the reissue is about as close are you're going to be able to get without spending over $10k.

However, I do want to say that the 50th reissues are a much smaller watch than the 300T. If you're a bigger fan of larger / more robust feeling watches then you owe it to yourself to try on both to see which one fits your style and feeling.

Personally, my preference has always been the silver dial Searambler. I find the little bit of extra color on the hour hand makes the dial much more legible and the silver dial allows the watch to be much more versatile. The 50th reissue has a great proportion to the vintage and often comes up on the secondary market.

There are lots of great sites out there, but I actually like the one below from our old friend Dr. Peter Miller. He did a lot of great work putting together one of the first books on the Doxa story and I owe it to him and other members of this collecting community to getting me into this brand.

Good luck on your search.

DOXA SUB 300T

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great choice, I'm loving my SUB 300 50th anniversary.

Good luck in picking one up - diving pictures with it in the Maldives would be fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    SERGEANT_AT_ARMS and Des2471 like this.

I prefer and own the Black lung. I find the logo completes the dial somehow.

I’m in to Seiko Divers right now; however, that is a nice looking watch...

- - - Updated - - -

I’m in to Seiko Divers right now; however, that is a nice looking watch...

Thanks so much for all the great info guys! I have been doing quite a bit of reading and just wanted to confirm, what are the differences between the sub300 and sub300T? It seems like both the 2016 and 2017 remakes are just the sub300 and sub300 Black Lung (both No T) is that right? The “T” just means luminescence or there are other differences too?

....and will snap some pics on the dive trip, assuming I can find the watch in time! Anyone know of any available besides a black lung from DavidSW for $3500? Seems both the regular and the BL reissue have been in the $2k-$2500 ballpark respectively?

Appreciate the education and help!

The recent Black Lung and 50th models are SUB 300 (no-t) and the recent Poseidon was a 300T. There is a substantial difference in proportions. The 300T is almost identical to 1200T models - taller and heavier with HEV.

I own a Black Lung, 50th Searambler and recently sold my Poseidon because I found it less comfortable on my 6.5” wrist - not as suited to London city life as the 300’s. If I lived in warmer climes and could get out on-to/in-to the water more I would have kept the Poseidon as it’s even more of a tool watch and made for the sunshine and salty life.
    Last edited by Stev0; August 16th, 2018 at 17:17.

I pulled the trigger, 300sub BL arrives tomorrow morning....thanks for all the input, excited to dive with it the next couple weeks

El Loco Norwegian and pascs like this.

Thread Information