Suggestions for a first Doxa?

Thread: Suggestions for a first Doxa?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Kar

Suggestions for a first Doxa?

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

I grew up absorbed by the Cussler books and they really do remain among my absolute favourite reads. While I was at University, just by chance, I googled (actually altavista'd...it was the early 00s) the name of Dirk's watch and found out that it actually existed and better still looked exceptional!

Being a poor Uni student, then poor first job graduate I could never really afford to indulge myself in purchasing one.

Thankfully now that's very different, and I've been reading as much as I can into the different breeds of Doxa. Sadly the more I read, the less sure I am of what I want, and what I actually would like to wear and use.

I kind of got fixated on getting an original 300T, I wanted the real McCoy. Then the practicality of getting one, as well as the fact I wouldn't want to wear it lest I damage it made me move on to the 600T. Then I read about the 750T simply being a larger, more modern version of that, and so I changed my mind again.

The 750T confuses me. I am a little put off by the 'Dirk Pitt' edition and the thought of having any sort of mention of the (sadly) awful Sahara movie stamped all over the back of the watch. I'm still not sure if the 750T Vanilla Professional has that or not, or if it is simply the 'dirk pitt edition' version. The other, niggly thing, is I want a space between the SUB and the 750T on the front face. I've seen apparent 750Ts Professionals that have the gap, and don't have the gap. So that confuses me even more.

I guess, in short, I want a modern orange dialed 300T, one that I can wear everyday and not feel like I have to put it in a glass display case. And one that doesn't have Hollywood's awful fingerprints all over the back.

The 1000T seemed to fit the bill then, but it was smaller than the 750T, a kind of super 600T. I quite like the idea of the bigger (750T) watch. The 5000T Professional looks utterly fantastic, but it's a little bit of a departure from the layout of the 300/600/750/1000T professionals. I think I want one, but probably as a second watch down the road after I've got my 300T style first one.

I want to do this soon because I realise that the 750T is practically sold out.

Can anyone help, what would be the best buy for me?

And just a quick thanks to everyone who posts here I enjoy reading this forum very much. It's even more enjoyable when you know you can finally do something about obtaining one of these wonderful timepieces :)
    Last edited by Kar; December 19th, 2007 at 14:15.

Re: Suggestions for a first Doxa?

Hi Kar

Welcome to the forum from a relative newbie myself ! I hunted for a DOXA for your exact same reasons and managed to get a vintage sub 300t and I could not be happier with it. A note of warning ! One will never be enough

Simon

Hi Kar,
    Go for the 750T Pro (not Dirk Pitt version) not one mention of the movie on the watch. One of the reasons I liked it too. The warr card has Clive Cussler on it and thats pretty cool. The 750T is by far the most comfy watch I have ever worn...Good luck and everyone here will make you feel welcome
    Lonnie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lonnie-

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

750T Professional. Get it right now. Less than 25 left as of a week ago or so. Too bad you can't take advantage of the returning Customer price. $1379 as opposed to $1969. I'm sure someone would do you a favor and buy it for you at the returning price if you prepaid to them. Lots of trustworthy members on this site. Maybe post in the WTB section for a used one...

Kar

Quote Originally Posted by lagrinin View Post
    Hi Kar,
    Go for the 750T Pro (not Dirk Pitt version) not one mention of the movie on the watch. One of the reasons I liked it too. The warr card has Clive Cussler on it and thats pretty cool. The 750T is by far the most comfy watch I have ever worn...Good luck and everyone here will make you feel welcome
    Lonnie
    Wow, that looks absolutely _perfect_!

That's the one I want :thanks

As for the price, luckily I would be using sterling and the exchange rates being what they are at the moment an extra £300 isn't that much of a problem. I'm sure I will be a returning customer anyway and will reap the rewards further down the track... 5000T Sharkhunter maybe? :) If I buy second hand or through an intermediary I wouldn't get that reward would I?

Thanks very much for all the replies it's good to know others' thoughts to help put my own into perspective

Yea I recommend the 750T Pro non-Dirk aswell. I love mine and it gets lots of comments when I wear it. Best of luck.
    I have too many watches.....

Kar,
    Welcome to the insanity that is Doxaholicism.
    Those of us that are getting the returning customer discount will be losing it as of March 31,2008.
    Doxa is moving into the brick and mortar side of the business (retail sales through existing jewelry stores), hence the loss of our discount price breaks. Sorry Randy
    Last edited by whse; December 19th, 2007 at 16:43.
    Overtime: The fuel for the Doxaholic engine.

My vote would be for the GMT Pro. One of the best put out by Doxa at the moment. The runner-up is the 5000T Pro, but the GMTs are still my favorite Doxas overall

The 750Pro is also a good choice, but I do think the GMT is a little nicer. The dial is so unusual. You will never see a watch quite like this one. Pictures just do not do it justice. I have Doxas from almost every series with the exception of the 1000Ts. I love the GMTs.

750Pro Pic

Last edited by Jason71; December 19th, 2007 at 17:00.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Kev

Easy call, get the 750 Pro.

I'm thinking about picking up a spare before they end production. To me it is the perfect Doxa. Pure, simple, historical.

Kev.

Greetings and welcome to the Doxa world. I am also a new owner re: Doxa, but have been a distant fan for years due to Dirk's escapades.

I would suggest looking at a pre-owned version. While not the classic Dirk watch you are looking for, I recently pucked up a 750T Mill Sharkie (pic below), and must say it is a fine watch and comfortable to wear. I also posted some comparison pics and thoughts of the 750T vs the Sinn U1 that you might find interesting in an earlier thread.

It was my first Pre-owned watch, and I found a solid seller and the watch watch literally like new. So searching the sales forums here and at TZ, you should find a couple of more classic (orange face, SS) 750T's at nice prices. There has been a nice selection recently as folks clear some out for inbound 5000's.

Whatever you decide, there is one thing you MUST do........post pictures and your thoughts when you get it.

Best of luck.

Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD