Tag Aquagraph vs Doxa T-Graph movement question

Thread: Tag Aquagraph vs Doxa T-Graph movement question

Tag Aquagraph vs Doxa T-Graph movement question

Hello,
    I currently own a Tag Heuer Aqauagraph. It's by far my favorite watch...but, I also am thinking of getting a Doxa T-graph if one comes up. The base movements are the same on both chrono's. A modified ETA 2894-2,but the Tag has the dubois-depraz piggybacked to it. What's the difference in the T-graph movement? Does it also have an additional movement attached to it? Is one movement better than the other? The reason I ask is because if I do get a Doxa, I will have to sell my Aquagraph (), which I'd hate to do, but I could not afford to have both...unless I sell my sinn 142 (no...I don't think so!). Anyways, some advice and knowledgable answers are needed since I'm not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to watch movements. I just know what I like...and that T-Graph is pretty awesome looking also!
    thanks in advance,
    francisco
    p.s. this post is also in the Tag forum. this way I could get both sides of the story...from tag and doxa lovers .

Re: Tag Aquagraph vs Doxa T-Graph movement question

Quote Originally Posted by slivver71 View Post
    Hello,
    I currently own a Tag Heuer Aqauagraph. It's by far my favorite watch...but, I also am thinking of getting a Doxa T-graph if one comes up. The base movements are the same on both chrono's. A modified ETA 2894-2,but the Tag has the dubois-depraz piggybacked to it. What's the difference in the T-graph movement? Does it also have an additional movement attached to it? Is one movement better than the other? The reason I ask is because if I do get a Doxa, I will have to sell my Aquagraph (), which I'd hate to do, but I could not afford to have both...unless I sell my sinn 142 (no...I don't think so!). Anyways, some advice and knowledgable answers are needed since I'm not the brightest star in the sky when it comes to watch movements. I just know what I like...and that T-Graph is pretty awesome looking also!
    thanks in advance,
    francisco
    p.s. this post is also in the Tag forum. this way I could get both sides of the story...from tag and doxa lovers .
    Hi Francisco

IIRC, they both have Dubois Depraz chronograph modules piggy-backed onto an ETA movement. In the case of the Tag, it is the DD 2073 module. This movement has the advantage of a centralized minute counter in the same manner as the Lemania 5100 in your Sinn 142. The Doxa utilises a chronograph register as a subdial. Don't forget, the new Sinn 142 II uses the same movement as the Tag with the inclusion of an extra register at 12 for the date (a bit twee IMO). I've seen a similar watch to the Tag made by Nivrel, although it is not a diver chronograph.

It's difficult to compare the Doxa T-graph with the Tag, even though they are both diver chronographs as it's like comparing apples with oranges. I have a 2005 Doxa T-graph Pro and will be looking to get a Tag Aquagraph in the future (and a Sinn 142 II).
    Last edited by Jason71; November 16th, 2008 at 14:42.
    Regards

Dave

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Hi, and Welcome to the Doxa Forum!

One thing to keep in mind is that while the Tag allows you to utilize the chronograph underwater (via the sealed pushers), the T Graph does not. The T Graph is a fantastic watch though, I just saw both modern versions in person for the first time last week.

Not sure I'd consider selling my favorite watch yo acquire another, I'd be more likely to just save up for the new one and keep both. But that's me, everyone of us has our own approach to this wonderful "madness" .
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

hello,
    i've seen the sinn 142 II...IMHO it's pretty downright fugly! my sinn 142 is the older version w/ the lemania 5100 mvt and the uncollared chrono pushers (i think that's what it's called?),w/ a non-screwed down crown, and it's a definate looker . i'm not so much comparing the aquagraph and t-graph as i was wondering what the major difference between their movements were. thank you for clarifying this for me. i love the look of the t-graph, but i'm trying to rid my collection of non-tool watches (i just sold my oris tt1 divers chrono for this very reason). i'm afraid the t-graph is a bit too dressy looking for my small and modest collection. but,damn it's a beut!!! btw,i've heard that the 2894 with the attached dubois depraz chronograph module is a bear,and a bit expensive,to service. is there truth to this rumor?
    thank's again,
    francisco
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

Hi, and Welcome to the Doxa Forum!

One thing to keep in mind is that while the Tag allows you to utilize the chronograph underwater (via the sealed pushers), the T Graph does not. The T Graph is a fantastic watch though, I just saw both modern versions in person for the first time last week.

Not sure I'd consider selling my favorite watch to acquire another, I'd be more likely to just save up for the new one and keep both. But that's me, everyone of us has our own approach to this wonderful "madness" .
    hello,
    thank you for the kind welcome! i've been intrigued by doxa's for a while, but have not purchased one...yet. i really would not want to sell my aquagraph to get a t-graph. but, with the sale of my oris, i'll have a good chunk of change to put towards a doxa if i decide to get one!
    rgds,
    francisco

Don't sell the TAG if it is your favorite watch, you'll regret it, just like everyone else in these forums who sell their favorite, and then try to buy it again later on. I have an Aquagraph. I have a DOXA. Out of my 15+ or so watches the DOXA gets 90% wear time, the TAG 9%, and the others get switched around 1% of the time. MY TAG was #1 for me, until my DOXA arrived. I am wearing both (winding the TAG) right now. Best of luck with your decision, but I say keep the TAG and buy the DOXA. Just MHO.
    TAG HEUER Aquagraph
    OMEGA Seamaster Professional- blue face
    DOXA SUB5000T Military Sharkhunter
    TAG HEUER Series1000 PRO -blue face
    MTM Blackhawk Ballistic
    CITIZEN ecozilla 300m
    CASIO FROGMAN Titanium G-Shock (japan)
    R.I.P.= CHRONOSPORT UDT

I'd say keep the tag if you like it but just remember that the T-graph is big, heavy and impressive. People can't stop looking at it! I'm telling you from my experience. Here's my 40th Anniv. T-graph!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Quote Originally Posted by MTJO View Post
    I'd say keep the tag if you like it but just remember that the T-graph is big, heavy and impressive. People can't stop looking at it! I'm telling you from my experience. Here's my 40th Anniv. T-graph!!
    I agree, the T-Graph is very distracting to people. I've had clients in meetings be so fixated on my T-Graph that it seems like they arent listening to me

I've owned both the Aquagraph and T-Graph. From a build and function point of view the Tag wins easily. Love the central minutes, underwater pushers, great lume, locking bezel, push button clasp and fantastic quality divers extension. But I sold it! Simply because I don't dive and all these great features didn't mean as much to me as the fantastic appearance of my T-Graph. And while it may not use any revolutionary or progressive features like the Tag, it is built well and solid. The 2005 T-Graph Pro is still IMHO the best looking watch Doxa has ever made and one of my all-time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot021 View Post
    Don't sell the TAG if it is your favorite watch, you'll regret it, just like everyone else in these forums who sell their favorite, and then try to buy it again later on. I have an Aquagraph. I have a DOXA. Out of my 15+ or so watches the DOXA gets 90% wear time, the TAG 9%, and the others get switched around 1% of the time. MY TAG was #1 for me, until my DOXA arrived. I am wearing both (winding the TAG) right now. Best of luck with your decision, but I say keep the TAG and buy the DOXA. Just MHO.
    hello,
    well thank you all for the advice! most likely, i'll keep the tag...but, damn that t-graph is calling me!!! if i get a doxa, i think i'll just get (eventually) a non-chrono version 1st, then go from there.
    thank you,
    francisco

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJnK View Post
    The 2005 T-Graph Pro is still IMHO the best looking watch Doxa has ever made and one of my all-time favorites.
    I will second that opinion. Although I am partial to my Sharky.

Dive watch fanatic since 1980

Thread Information