A tale of 2 Doxas
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Diver52
  • 1 Post By Diver52

Thread: A tale of 2 Doxas

A tale of 2 Doxas

I got started in this because I have always wanted an orange faced Doxa. I heard about them as a kid from my lifeguard instructor who no doubt was reading about them in Clive Cussler's novels. It was something that was on the back burner but I already had a Jenny Caribbean 700 I picked up years ago at a yard sale with some other dive gear and my Zodiac that I used and abused for years on a public safety dive team. It was on the list though.

Well I finally got around to proposing and she said yes and her parents wanted to get me a "welcome to the family" gift and watches are a tradition in her culture. Naturally I picked a Doxa. Looking around the subs were out of range for them but I found some used ones on the 'bay. We bid on a Sub 300T but were outbid so I found an older chronograph that I liked. Not a Sub and obviously redone to look like one but it was a Doxa Dive watch with a standard style bezel so we went with that. Everything was great, I was happy with it and we were moving on with the wedding when she called me about midnight a week before. The other bidder on the Sub backed out and it was ours! Oh boy, didn't plan on that! Anyway we decided to keep both and my job was to get the sub in shape as quickly as possible for the wedding (it was pretty beat up, see pics below)

Thanks to Dr. Pete for the help.

Name:  Doxa Wedding.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  55.2 KB
    Last edited by Diver52; June 17th, 2013 at 06:32.
    MHe225 and gaopa like this.
    "Your obsession with dive watches doesn't make much sense to me considering that 90% of the places we were diving you couldn't see anything anyway" The old divemaster

Re: A tale of 2 Doxas

Oh well, having problems getting the pics up. Will try again tomorrow.
    "Your obsession with dive watches doesn't make much sense to me considering that 90% of the places we were diving you couldn't see anything anyway" The old divemaster

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diver52 View Post
    Oh well, having problems getting the pics up. Will try again tomorrow.
    Cool story, and can't wait to see how the 300T turned out. When you were trying to post pictures, were you using an image hosting service like Photo-bucket? That's what I use, and I've never had a problem. Photo-bucket makes it super easy.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here is another try at the photos. I think they were just too large

Name:  Doxa 1.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  Doxa 2.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  Doxa 3.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  Doxa Titanic.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  59.5 KB

And the last one, got a new strap for the Jenny and couldn't make up my mind.

Name:  Doxa Jenny.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  36.7 KB
    gaopa likes this.

They both look great, and congrats on two, very fine vintage pieces. Oh, and while you're at it, take some detailed pics of the Jenny, and post them over on the Jenny forum.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    They both look great, and congrats on two, very fine vintage pieces. Oh, and while you're at it, take some detailed pics of the Jenny, and post them over on the Jenny forum.
    Will do! I have never done anything with it, it is as it was when I found it. It has a couple cracks in the bezel and some corrosion on the face (it is silver and it has oxidized a little) but other than that it looks great for it's age.

Will do! I have never done anything with it, it is as it was when I found it. It has a couple cracks in the bezel and some corrosion on the face (it is silver and it has oxidized a little) but other than that it looks great for it's age.
    Great! Looking forward to more pics of the Jenny.

Thumbs Up Re: A tale of 2 Doxas

Here is another try at the photos. I think they were just too large

Name:  Doxa 1.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  Doxa Titanic.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  59.5 KB

And the last one, got a new strap for the Jenny and couldn't make up my mind.

Name:  Doxa Jenny.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  36.7 KB
    Those are great vintage watches but there's no doubt that Doxa is the one to wear.
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Thread Information