Thoughts on the new Searambler

Thread: Thoughts on the new Searambler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on the new Searambler

Been looking at the post on the new Searambler and thinking about the new case design teasers. Couple of things strike me

"2. same case diameter as the current SUB1000T, but eventually thicker than the current SUB1000T series"

Not sure exactly what this means. Is it that the 25 Searamblers will have the same case as the SUB 100T but with the HRV and later models (Pro, Sharkie, Dstar and Carib) will have a thicker case or will the new Rambler have the thicker case from the get go. The word "eventually" threw me a bit.

OK here's me being CEO of Doxa.... this is what I would do.

Firstly I think the idea of a SUB 1000T based case with a HRV is a fantastic idea. The SUB 5000T is definitely the flagship but not everyone wants or can wear a big watch. If you want big and bulky go for the SUB 5000T or T-Graph. If you want something close to the vintage SUB, go 1000T. My "problems" with the 1000T are; slightly domed crystal and pointlessly thick case back. I'll not witter on but suggest you read my review to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.doxa300t.com/1000t/sub1000t.htm

The 1000T caseback was made thicker to increase the height of the watch, not for any mechanical or allow the movement to fit etc reasons, but purely for bragging rights as to a thicker case.

The original Conquistador used the first generation SUB 300T case and had a very nice flat caseback. The total height of the watch was 13mm. This did a couple of things. It made for a flat back and large surface of wrist contact area and it lowered the center of gravity. In the original SUB 300T, that was important because the watch head was for those days relatively large and the braceley was very flimsy and you had a potentially large floating mass effect. Keeping the case low and hugging the wrist aleviated a lot of that. My vintage SUBs are among the most comfortable watches I own. They are only surpassed by the Rolex GMT and Omega Seamaster, however, I have to say that among the Doxas I own the 600T and surprisngly enough, the 750T are real wrist huggers. The 750T is big but the caseback is flat. Check the 1000T review to compare caseback heights.

The slightly domed crystal on the 5000T and 1000T are not as bad a reflection magnet for overhead office lights as the domed 600T but nothing beats a flat crystal. The SUB 300T reissue has a flat crystal and it is perfect (in my opinion). Obviously others will disagree but I'm playing CEO here so I'm the boss

There is an obvious trend for bigger and beefier watches and increased depth rating for nothing other than slavery to fashion and bragging rights. Well this is Doxa's chance to show that it sets trends, not follows them. The new SUB 1200 (taking a guess here) could certainly be marketed as a return to dive watch sanity. A replication of the watch that was a paradigm shift from the standard black dialed offering from the other companies. Build a SUB 1200, make it the same case as the SUB 1000T. Put a HRV into it and use a SUB 600T caseback thickness (nice and thin) and put a flat crystal on it. With the thicker bezel compared to the vintage SUB, it would come out about 14mm high but the center of gravity would be low and it would hug the wrist. There actually wouldn't be a need for a GMT bracelet with that kind of configuration.

Will it happen? Probably not, I get a feeling that the 1000T case will increase in thickness by 1mm. The justification being that it is needed to accommodate the HRV but I would dispute that as the original 300T was a thin case and they shoe-horned a HRV into that. The thick 1000T caseback will remain and the new watch will have a height of almost 17mm and even with the GMT bracelet, wobble like a gyroscope on smaller wrists.

For me the new SUB has the potential to be everything I had hoped for a 40th Anniversary or Diving With Legends watch. I'm actually excited to see how this pans out because as I said above, I think Doxa have a great opportunity to show that they make watches that make sense, both functionally and aesthetically.

Oh, oh, guess my time away hasn't cured my rambling

Pete

Re: Thoughts on the new Searambler

with due respect to a doxa legend, i hope doxa makes the rambler with a domed crystal ( i simply think domed crystals are very cool looking and unique) and thicker case than the 1000T ( just slightly, though). i had a 1000T and had absolutely no problem with comfort or crystal reflections or functionality.

i also love the gmt bracelet.

from the description at least, i thick the rambler will look great with the "upgrades"...and i trust that doxa will somehow make the watch comfortable even given the extra height.
    Last edited by acdelco; August 5th, 2009 at 02:12.
    --AC

That is what makes life fun.............we all like different things.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    That is what makes life fun.............we all like different things.
    Exactly, I'm looking forward to whatever the final product will be. I will still find any excuse possible to wear the watch like I am with my 1000T :).
    DOXA Sub 1200T NUMA 01/50

Saving the world one block of C-4 at a time!
    EOD is more than a job in the military. It's a lifestyle.

I may be with Doc on this one, at least as far as the caseback and crystal are concerned. I have been toying with the idea of a 1000T but, so far, have resisted due to what looks like an inordinately thick caseback. I love the way my 750T GMT hugs my wrist and I have been concerned about losing that in a 1000T. I also like flat crystals, as a rule.

I will admit I was thrown by the word "eventually" as well. We'll see what turns out...
    // Rob

yes...i think if it will be thicker, a flatter caseback would make sense.
    --AC

Guys, don't worry about disagreeing with me or arguing against what I suggest. I guess I'm a bit like a broken record, I always wanted Doxa to make an "exact" copy of the original Conquistador but with modern internals. I like the vintage first generation 300T SUB. I think it was the ultimate Doxa. Lets be honest here functionally it was more than most divers needed then or now. Most recreational divers don't go below 100 feet so 300 feet, 1000 feet, 3000 feet, 5000 feet is really just a marketing or my thing is bigger than yours stance really. That's not to say it shouldn't be done because differentiation, bigger, faster, stronger etc sells and if you don't sell you don't stay in business.

I'm definitely a flat crystal guy. I can see why people like slightly domed but given the choice, flat is for me. We are also all anatomically different. I have relatively thin, flat wrists at 6.75 inches. I need 3 or 4 links out of a normal Doxa bracelet. Our Mick (my kid brother) is like Popeye. He wears a T-Graph straight out of the box and a 600T looks like a wart on his wrist. He'll take a 5000T any day of the week. But as I said; horses for courses.

For me and again, just my opinion. A HRV SUB based on the original Conquistador would give another option to people like me who would like to see a return of the watch that basically started it all.

Pete

Pete ... I'm with you all the way. I have tried the 600T, 5000T, and the 1000T ... I still have some issues with the over head lights and reflection ... I do not have that issue with the 750T. Also I like the flat case back as well. On the 750T I like the original bracelet over the GMT, it just feels better to me. I do not like the 5000T bracelet because I can not wear that watch with a 6+ mil wetsuit unless I add back a link or swap out the bracelet ... not because of the design but because there are no half links or other adjustments I can make, so I have the adjustment all ready being half used.

Anyway Pete .. I will not buy another 1000T with the thick case back nor doomed crystal ...

Again Pete good to see ya back here.

John
    John M.

Quote Originally Posted by acdelco View Post
    with due respect to a doxa legend, i hope doxa makes the rambler with a domed crystal ( i simply think domed crystals are very cool looking and unique) and thicker case than the 1000T ( just slightly, though). i had a 1000T and had absolutely no problem with comfort or crystal reflections or functionality.

i also love the gmt bracelet.

from the description at least, i thick the rambler will look great with the "upgrades"...and i trust that doxa will somehow make the watch comfortable even given the extra height.

+1

One of my favorite features of my 1000 Pro is the domed crystal. I find the abrupt transition from no glare to intense glare with a flat crystal annoying.

Kerry P

Pen Re: Thoughts on the new Searambler

Pete, I am with u too as I do not really like tall case back. I have the same wrist size of 6.75" and also the protruding wrist bone on the wrist. Having tried various other watch sizes like 53, 50mm, 47, 46mm, 45, 44.5mm, 43, 42mm and 41mm. My preference is a 43 & 42mm case which are definitely the most comfortable watch size for any occasion.

The tallest I had before is the Citizen Autozilla which I think approx 16.5mm ? Luckily, the Autozilla is light due to Ti alloy used and hence it does not really wobble much except the tall case back can really get in the way if one is clumsy. From Doxa pt. of view, a thick bracelet will be gd ,as I experienced what is so call a wobblily watch head like my Sinn 142ST (Case Dia.44mm) with 15mm case height and the bracelet is really thin like 3mm. The Sinn 142ST watch head really moves up and down even after I tried to adjust the best fit via e link on the clasp.

If Doxa is really listening, with a HRV in place. Is there a need for a thicker caseback ? Can Doxa work on a 600T caseback since it has a larger surface area of contact ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information