Time for a restoration - sub 300T Pro

Thread: Time for a restoration - sub 300T Pro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time for a restoration - sub 300T Pro

I was surfing yesterday, looked at my trusty sub 300t and the hands had stopped moving and it was getting a little foggy..

I had the movement done about 7 years ago and I have been meaning to send it off to Jack's for a service and a refurb of the crystal, hands and bead blast of the body, but didn't have a backup watch to wear. Now I don't have a choice.. My bro let me borrow his tag heuer, ughh, for the time being.

Any idea if Jack can paint the bezel? All of the ticks and numbers on the diving calculator are gone
    Last edited by combres; September 7th, 2009 at 19:05.

Re: Time for a restoration - sub 300T Pro

You can repaint the numbers by yourself. Easy job. Use enamel model paint. Use a toothpick or something like this and fill the paint into the engravings. Then let the paint dry. The longer the better. Then scrape away the excess. While scraping sometimes some paint will come out of the engravings. No problem. Do it again.
    Hope this helps
    Best Regards
    Holger
    ************************************************** ********************************************

ROLEX: Submariner 14060M ('03), Submariner 16610 ('91), Submariner 16800 ('85), Submariner 5513 ('79), Submariner 5513 ('64)
    OMEGA: Speedmaster Professional Mark IV ('73) Speedmaster Professional 125 ('73)
    DOXA: Sub 750T ('05), Sub 600T ('03), Sub 300T ('80), Sub 300T ('74), Sub 200 T.Graph ('70), Sub 300 noT ('67), Skindiver ('60)

I'd be a lot more concerned about the fog than the bezel numbers. If you had the movement serviced 7 years ago, then I assume it's an original 300T (1977 and earlier) rather than a reissue (came out in 2002). Hard to guarantee the watertightness of an older watch like that -- especially when surfing.
    // Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Every skilled watchmaker should be able to check the waterresistance of a Doxa Sub.
    The seal of the back can be replaced easily. The same for the pushdown crown.
    Then the watch will be ready for action again.
    Best Regards
    Holger
    ************************************************** ********************************************

ROLEX: Submariner 14060M ('03), Submariner 16610 ('91), Submariner 16800 ('85), Submariner 5513 ('79), Submariner 5513 ('64)
    OMEGA: Speedmaster Professional Mark IV ('73) Speedmaster Professional 125 ('73)
    DOXA: Sub 750T ('05), Sub 600T ('03), Sub 300T ('80), Sub 300T ('74), Sub 200 T.Graph ('70), Sub 300 noT ('67), Skindiver ('60)

Quote Originally Posted by subpro300 View Post
    Every skilled watchmaker should be able to check the waterresistance of a Doxa Sub.
    The seal of the back can be replaced easily. The same for the pushdown crown.
    Then the watch will be ready for action again.
    I think the long pole in this tent is the crystal seal. When Jack restored my 300T the crystal was badly scratched and the seal had turned to goo. He could not source replacement seals so he left the old seal in place and polished out the crystal. I think now Jack uses a liquid gasket type of seal for his new crystals.

I'm sure my 300T is not water resistant anymore but I'm okay with that. It looks like new and I have modern Doxa's to dive with.

Thanks for the tip, when i get my watch back from Jack, I will embark on painting it. It looks so much better painted.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by subpro300 View Post
    You can repaint the numbers by yourself. Easy job. Use enamel model paint. Use a toothpick or something like this and fill the paint into the engravings. Then let the paint dry. The longer the better. Then scrape away the excess. While scraping sometimes some paint will come out of the engravings. No problem. Do it again.
    Hope this helps

Yes, it is an original doxa, orange face, metric dive meter. It had been water tight since the last time I got it serviced years ago, but the seal must have deteriorated. It is currently at Jack's waiting out the 20 week repair line. He warned me about it not being water resistant, but I realize I can't dive with it, and since it was water tight before, with a new seal it should be good to go when I get back. I am getting the case and crystal restored, and a relume on the hands. It was looking a bit dated to say the least.

I have to send my other doxa, a vintage 200 tgraph, orange face, to get Jack to fix it. I tried to get RGM to fix this one and they didn't have any seals, but Jack assured me he could fix it. I am thoroughly doxaless.

Quote Originally Posted by combres View Post
    Thanks for the tip, when i get my watch back from Jack, I will embark on painting it. It looks so much better painted.

charlie
    If Jack is restoring the case he'll re-do the numbers too.

Almost a six month wait that is now over. I am tired of wearing my brother's tag, ick.

Jack sent me some pictures of the work he has done on my watch. I am still searching for before pictures, on a hard drive somewhere. But this watch looks brand new.

Here is what he did.
    Movement service
    crystal replacement
    case refinish
    refinish bezel
    relume

It should be here a few days.. can't wait. Although now I just have to find a new stainless band, it was on its last legs, not bad for 30+ years.

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Charlie,

your Sub looks like new again. Congrats to this fantastic work.
    Have fun with it !
    Best Regards
    Holger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information