Too common question I guess, but new 1200 or used 750?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Too common question I guess, but new 1200 or used 750?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Too common question I guess, but new 1200 or used 750?

I had a 1000T pro and miss it. At that time I was torn between this jewel and the bespoken 750T all Pro.
    Now I have the opportunity to get either a 750T well used but seviced and a new 1200T. I'ts for daily "beater" use, as I have a couple of other nice watches (really vintage) for more subtle apperance.

I got 7.5" wrists and I'm sure I can et used to both sizes, but got caught by the 750T bug at the time they were issued. Too late, and later on I have not had the guts to go for a used one for daily use.

Any experience for the longevity of the 750T's? I recall some discussions about issues with the crown threads on the 750?

Maybe I should look for the other models, as I actually want one that will keep up best - more than getting one specfic model?
    And maybe it's more safe to get a new one for longevity (I don't usually trade or sell my watches)

If not too boring I would appreciate some thoughts.

Banned

Re: Too common question I guess, but new 1200 or used 750?

For a daily beater use - go for a 800Ti (titanium and steel) as it caters for that and relatively lighter. I have a Sharkhunter of that model for that purpose of a daily wear. The 750T should be worn carefully with respect for the classic as it is iconic and regarded as top of the tree. The 300T/600T/1000T/1200T may be a bit small for 7.5 inch wrist.

I had the 750 GMT and its the only watch i reget selling. I also have a 7.5 inch wrist and the size was perfect. Ive tried on a 1200 and although a great watch, it seemed just a bit too small for my wrist.
    Chris.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Thanks Chris - Case In Point!

As for the classics, you can get away with a smaller watch. Doxa's to my eye lend to that. On a 7.5" wrist you're right in the middle. I have not tried on a 1200T yet despite the temptation. It's a nice watch and believably the closest you'll get to the original 300T.

I went for the 750's and I'm very happy. 7 1/4" wrist.. 7 3/8's after a couple of beers. 6'3" 250.

Regarding durability and quality, so far I have no complaints. I own five 750's from a GMT to a Chronometer and looking good. No problems to report with the crown threads, but I do take care. I'm easy on my gear--specifically watches. Most were purchased new or NOS, but one of my Searamblers has actually made the rounds to 2-3 other owners here and I gotta say it's wearing exceptionally well, which bodes well for my collection. Except for the GMT, they all have an ETA 2824 movement of course. It's a workhorse and easily serviced as you likely already know.

The GMT is probably the best built. I imagine that is because of the complexity of the dial. If the bezel didn't line up the whole watch would be off. A used GMT can be one of the best values around at the right price. I'm not in it for the money but I would expect the 750's to hold their value better than most. We'll see, stay tuned......

Thank you all for your informative replies.

It seems any of the models should work, but I'll probably look for one of the current issues (new or not too old) and try to find a way to see them in real. I might have some options for that. I feel I tend towards one of the bigger sizes, though.

I definately need to consider both the 800Ti and the 750T GMT.

And now I can feel the creeping question regarding the dial color - is the orange rally the color for long term use.. I guess you all have been there.

I really appreciate the good tone I find amongst you here.
    skin diver likes this.

Banned

The Orange Dial is Doxa Sub's signatures as they were first to produce them in 1967. The color withstands the test of time and I have not seen any of the original ones fade or blemish. For a first Doxa Sub in one's collection or a special rare model, orange is probably the way to go. I have 5 Doxa Subs and 4 have orange dials; Case In Point. Plenty of compliments when wearing them. The orange color apparently is the last color one sees when diving at depths. It is more prominent that any other colors. I have a 800Ti Sharkhunter black dial and orange minute hand as an everyday wear, I love it as when I am timing the minute hand immediately catches my eye. So, if the Professional orange dial is too radical for you, the Sharkhunter black dial with orange minute hand may not and Skin Diver is going to love me for saying this: The Searambler silver radiant dial with the orange minute hand is also equally as effective and tends to be fewer in numbers and scarce than the Sharkhunter versions in most models; another consideration for you.

Now you have enough information to become dangerous (LOL) but I feel confident that you will make the best choice suitable for you now that we have put the options to you.
    Last edited by mondrayuk; June 6th, 2013 at 16:33.
    skin diver likes this.

A couple of comments that I hope are helpful... I've been wearing a 750 almost daily (from suits to surfing) since 2006, and have not had any durability concerns. As far as sizing goes, the 750 is as big as I'm willing to go on my 6.75" wrist. My 1200 has a really nice diameter, but the thick caseback does make it "wear tall" on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ds760476 View Post
    A couple of comments that I hope are helpful... I've been wearing a 750 almost daily (from suits to surfing) since 2006, and have not had any durability concerns. As far as sizing goes, the 750 is as big as I'm willing to go on my 6.75" wrist. My 1200 has a really nice diameter, but the thick caseback does make it "wear tall" on me.
    We have the same wrist size, and I agree - my 750 Sharkhunter is at the high size end for me too. I'm contemplating picking up a 1200 Pro, so my question for you is - which do you feel is a better fit for your wrist?
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Dear all

Now you really have made me interested here. I'm almost ashamed you spend all this time to comment. Very much appreciated!
    Each of you point out quite precisely your experiences and even set the choice of color in perspective.

Now I see that each model has its own values, which makes me able to base my choice on more than just the size. I'll have a fine and hard time to make a choice now

And while we are at it; what is yours, or may be even a consensus in the community, about the 5000T? I must admint I'm not that thrilled about the more "glim" apperance of the hands and the markers (and the paler orange color), but recall someone pointed out it is the most durable of all Doxas, also with the better movement? Is it significantly bigger than the 750T?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information