Ultrasonic Cleaners

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaners

Question Ultrasonic Cleaners

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but are Doxa watches safe to use in an ultrasonic cleaner?

I recently noticed that my Sharkhunter gets pretty greased up (especially in the band) so I happened upon an ultrasonic cleaner in the store.

If it's not safe to use, then I won't bother... but I would love to be able to clean the Sharkhunter once a month (or more) if it was safe and only took a few minutes.

If you use one to clean your Doxa, can you recommend a brand or model? It looks like a lot of the cheaper cleaners are not well reviewed. I'd pay for a quality cleaner.

Also, do you use any kind of cleaning solution as some suggest?

Thanks
    -Nick

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners

Do not put your watches in an Ulrasonic cleaner. Especially automatics. The same principal that vibrates and loosens the dirt and grime will also wreak havok on your finely assembled watch. To clean your watches just keep it simple. Use a soft bristled tooth brush, warm water and a mild liquid soap. Your watches will come out sparkling.
    Dive watch fanatic since 1980

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

While I don't believe the ultrasound waves used in cleaners are significant enough to cause metal fatigue in the hairsprings and such, it seems like there's enough controversy that I wouldn't chance it - how about cleaning the band only in there? That should be totally safe...
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford

Cool Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners

Without going into the theory of physics here, I would like to point out that there are several web sites that sell "watch cleaners"... I'm not sure if they are based upon ultrasonics or some sort of viration technology. These are cleaning fully-assembled watches...

I guess I'm curious what Doxa has to say. I know my local (well-respected) jewelry store used an Ultrasonic cleaner to clean my Omega Seamaster Pro several years ago... so I'm sure Doxa must use something similar to clean their watches. Perhaps it's safe to use only a few times per year?

Just to be clear, I'm referring to the smaller units -- that normally do not have heaters -- and usually a 5-minute only timer. I'm not talking about the industrial strength cleaners here... which use massive transducers. The smaller personal units are far less powerful.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Personally, I play it safe. I use a "retired" toot brush, lukewarm water and liquid hand soap. Comes out "sparkling clean" every time.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Hey, I had access to a ultrasonic cleaner & had clean all my watches in them due to the very effective results for about a year. The current Doxa - which got really dirty as i took it to work probably had the most use of the cleaner & got dipped almost every 1 or 2 days, the watch survived.

My wife uses the smaller cleaner for her rings and jewelry. She uses ammonia as the cleaning solution.

For those of you who use ultrasonic cleaners, what do you use as the cleaning solution?

If the ultrasonic vibrations don’t get your watch I’m sure the ammonia would do a hell of a job on the seals and all things not metal

Hey Ji-Man, I think an amonia solution can be used to get good results, but I'd only use only water.

Now that I'd had a chance to look up wikipedia, i think the vibrations used 15-400kHz in order to cause cavitation to clean is too high (frequency & too low energy) to do any mechanical damage to the watch.

Now, you've started some more questions in my mind; does anyone know what Doxa's gaskets are made off? Is it Viton rubber?

What's out there that will accelerate degradation of the Doxa gasket material?

Used to use ultrasonics to clean certain lab equipment. I've never needed it for any of my watches as warm soapy water and soft toothbrush always did the trick. This includes paint splatters, Lithium grease,motor oil, plus sweat mixed with dust. One of the great things about dive watches is that they wash off and clean up great.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Thread Information