Uncle Clive's new book

Thread: Uncle Clive's new book

Uncle Clive's new book

Is anyone else reading "The Chase"?

I'm just about finished with it. It didn't take too long to 'get into it' and now I can hardly put it down.

Only one problem. He's created a great character (with another great car adventure), but since it's set before the advent of the wristwatch it's only mentioned that he looks at his "pocket watch" - no mention whether or not it's a Doxa... but it could easily be...
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford

Re: Uncle Clive's new book

Just finished it last night. Real good read, great escapism. Once again Clive creates an interesting and fun character, the book flows and keeps you reading. Randy
    Overtime: The fuel for the Doxaholic engine.

Well, there is a Waltham mentioned in the chase scene at the end!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is anyone else kinda disappointed that there aren't any new Dirk and Al adventures coming out? I miss reading about his orange dialed doxa dive watch.
    DW

Thor...Glad to hear someone else is reading the book on the forum. I Just got it on loan from my dad this past weekend. Will start reading it by this weekend (have something else to finish first.) Can't wait to get to it.

David...Yes, I agree with you. I WANT DIRK AND AL BACK. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. I still have 3 left in my stack to read before I am through them all in the DP series. I hope there is still a few more to come.

Ryan

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Only one problem. He's created a great character (with another great car adventure), but since it's set before the advent of the wristwatch it's only mentioned that he looks at his "pocket watch" - no mention whether or not it's a Doxa... but it could easily be...
    Not only should it be a DOXA pocket watch, but one of those with the "exotic" dial. You know, the ones that we all snicker at on eBay.

Clives's pretty descriptive with his text. Can you imagine what he'd have to say about that?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

I'm about half way through. So far I like it. Interesting character's. I always like to read a good story and get to learn a little history at the same time.

My Uncle gave me the book and was disappointed with it. He didn't elaborate as he wanted me to read it and get back to him my impressions.

I'll have to find out why when I am done which won't take long.

David
    DOXA-AFICIONADO
    Doxa 600 T-Graph Pro & Searambler Doxa 300T Seahunter
    PRS2- Dreadnought, LeJour(Heuer) Pasadena,
    Rolex Submariner, Daytona, SS GMT & YG GMT
    Hamilton Khaki Action Chrono
    Omega Seamaster's 2254.50, 2589.30 & 2538.20
    Zenith Defy Classic Chrono
    Eterna Super Kontiki LE Chrono And a few other's!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. "
    Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865

I still have to start reading the book after buying it a couple of weeks ago,
    but I am very interested after seeing the replies on the subject.

Janco

Doxa Sub 750T Sharkhunter 1119/5000
    Doxa Sub 750T Professional Dirk Pitt Edition 905/5000

I finished it last night, and if I had to critique it I'd have to admit that it's a bit predictable, but its so much fun, who cares? I found it to be a real page-turner.

I'm only disappointed that he seems to have dead-ended the character. I'd be up for more Isaac Bell adventures.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford

I decided I need a break from rereading all the Dirk Pitt novels. I had just finished Atlantis Found so The Chase made for a nice change of pace. Isaac Bell is a fresh character and I imagine we'll be seeing some more of him. I felt some of the old Clive Cussler magic in the book as it was not as much a formula book as the newer Pitt books. I'm sure writers start having a problem when characters become too familiar. Besides, Dirk is starting to get a little long in the tooth, as we all are. One of the reasons Clive invented Kurt Austin. It's nice to see that Mr. Cussler hasn't lost his touch. It's also good to see that it's a solo effort which indicates that Clive probably enjoyed writing it as much as I enjoyed reading it. Just my two pesos.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Thread Information