Update on Five Corners progress.....

Thread: Update on Five Corners progress.....

Off topic Update on Five Corners progress.....

We've been busy, busy, busy! And I HATE painting, especially ceilings! We replaced all the overhead lights and put the first coat of paint on the ceiling tiles. It's a 10' ceiling, we decided to be bold and painted it black. It looks awesome! Once we finish the second coat we can put up the trim along the top of the walls at the ceiling line. The ice cream shop is primed and ready for paint as well. We are now repairing the hardwood floor, last step will be to sand it and refinish it. All the rough-cut pine boards are up on the walls. All the drywall is done. The cash register counters are built. The alarm system is almost installed. We are going with green tile for the tackle shop, watch and clock repair area, and ice cream shop floors. The tiles should be in in a couple of days. The sub-floor is done and ready for the tile. The tackle shop and ice cream shop will be painted a lighter green to complement the tile.

Here are some of the tools we've been using. And yes, I still have all my fingers!

A saw:

Another saw:

Another saw:

Starting to sense a theme here.....!

Technically not a saw but a planer, to smoothe rough-cut wood:

Hand-held sander:

Nail gun:

I used this a LOT:

Gotta have air!

The front counter:

The tackle shop counter:

The watch and clock shop counter:

Black ceiling!

Some rough-cut trimmage:

That's a lot of sawdust!

The walk-up ice cream counter:

I'll post a couple of outside shots later. The siding is all done.

Paul

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: Update on Five Corners progress.....

Wow, you guys are movin' right along! Looks like you'l br done quite soon.

The tools, well they remind me of many a job site I've been on.... with one exception, the planer. I've never actually run one or even seen one on a site (a couple friends have them in thier shops, but I've never even seen them run!).

Looks like tons of work. The difference in outlook between a tradesman and a shop owner/builder? At this point in a project, I'd be starting to think about a layoff, where you can start thinking about actually making some money!

Best of luck to you, do you have a target opening date yet?
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Great photos, Paul, there's nothing like building your own dream.
    I hope there's a nice little pot bellied stove somewhere, that kindling will come in handy. And I notice a professional carpenter must own those saws, since most of the blade guards have been taken off, lol.

It's just a matter of time before that Doxa dealer status is approved I imagine.
    When you're done, post the address of that little slice of heaven and I'll put it on the list of places to see!
    DW

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That looks an awful lot like work, Paul. It reminds me of many of the projects that I've been involved with - the nice thing, being a business, is that you can go home at night and get away from it... not like tearing up your home anyway...

Referring to photo #1 - did you remove support beams or did the floor slide over?

Looking forward to the next installment!
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Referring to photo #1 - did you remove support beams or did the floor slide over?
    May I take a guess? Removed plumbing or some such penetration that traveled along the post. How'd I do?
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    May I take a guess? Removed plumbing or some such penetration that traveled along the post. How'd I do?
    Actually, that's where there used to be a wall. When the building was built there were 2 seperate businesses, with seperate entrances and a wall. At some point in the distant past the wall came down. Whoever did the work then patched the floor where the wall was. Sometime after that someone put down a plywood sub-floor and tiled the whole floor. When we removed the sub-floor and got down to the original hardwood, a lot of the patched areas of the floor came off. So we have a few holes in the floor and sections of hardwood that we are repairing.

Here's a large section we had to fix, before. The large hole in the floor was (we believe) where the plumbing for the old ice cream shop sink used to be, several decades ago. We can still see where the stools for the ice cream counter were mounted on the floor. (Notice the faint circle on the floor about 3 feet to the right of the big hole - there is a line of them coming towards where I was standing when I shot this).

And after. Once we sand it all down and refinish it, it'll look great. Not perfect, but great!

The outside siding is done! We are going to install awnings over the first floor doors and windows, green to match the roof. The grey cement wall near the entrance will be faced with stone and we're going to put in a small bench and a flower box in the corner.

More to come!

Paul

Paul it is looking great .... but what the hell??? I didn't see a DOXA in any of the pics .... don't you keep track of time while working there??? hahahahaha
    John M.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Paul it is looking great .... but what the hell??? I didn't see a DOXA in any of the pics .... don't you keep track of time while working there??? hahahahaha
    LOL! Actually, John, I wear a Seiko 5 with a beautiful green dial that I got on ebay a few years ago for 50 bucks. It's my beater and it's starting to show it! Dings, nicks and scratches all over it. I don't mind WABI on a watch, but to me there's a difference between banging your watch on the side of a wreck at 100 feet and banging your watch against the table saw!

We started sanding the hardwood floor today. I'm sore and very tired! FYI, sanding a 100+ year old oak floor is a beotch! More of the same tomorrow...............

Paul

I patched and refinished my oak floor, but it's only about 50 years old... and even that was kind of brittle. Are you going to stain it or just let the wood show its natural colors? Aren't those drum sanders fun?

I can't wait to see what some sanding and polyurethane will do for your store! I'm betting that you'll have a good deal of business just from the people that want to see the renovation results. Hopefully the ice cream will keep them coming back regularly.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford

Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Are you going to stain it or just let the wood show its natural colors? Aren't those drum sanders fun?
    We will stain it and the walls to complement each other and bring out the beautiful grains in the woods. Then we'll coat the floor with some type of urethane to accomodate the (hopefully) high traffic.

The drum sander is going back to the rental place. It did a decent job of removing the first, grungiest layer on top, but doesn't do well along the edges of the boards. The floor is not flat and level, no surprise as it's over a hundred years old. So we are going to do 2 more sandings by hand, using the small hand-held belt sanders. Extremely labor intensive, but based on what we did last night, it will be well worth it. I'll have some pics of the floor progress later this week!

Paul

Thread Information