US Divers Logo - Rarer or just more desirable ?

Thread: US Divers Logo - Rarer or just more desirable ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

US Divers Logo - Rarer or just more desirable ?

Hi All,

Just a quick observation/question. I'm afraid I spend an awful lot of time hunting vintage Doxa's, too much according to my wife !!.

When I started my SDVQ (Si's Doxa Vintage Quest) I was under the impression that the US Divers Logo on the dial was more rare than non US Divers Logo dials. I have noticed however that more US Divers Logo sub's come up for sale than non US Divers logo sub's.

The US Divers logo definately commands a premium price. The way my collection has worked out I have all Synchron era subs with no US Divers Logo, but personally, thats what I like an uncluttered dial, my pro does not even have the synchron embelem just text......clean in my eyes but plain to others.

My question is......is it a rarer dial or just a more desirable dial ?

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

Re: US Divers Logo - Rarer or just more desirable ?

I believe it is more desireable to have the USD logo on the vintage watch. They do seem to come available for sale more often IMHO. It does seem to me the Doxa with ANY logo does seem to be more desireable than a non-logo watch. They have always seemed to command a higher premium. Look at the history of the 600T Divingstar.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

I have to admit to being a bit of a hypocrite on this one as I love my 'busy' spirotechnique dial :oops:
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

On rarity, I am guessing they are indeed more rare. That because the logo'd watches were produced for sale in the U.S market, while other parts of the world were offered the non logo version at the same time. This plus the fact that the logo vanished from U.S. market dials later as well, leads me to speculation that the logo'd version is less common.

Of course some are redialed, and often have the logo added even if not original. But overall, it seems to me I see as many or even more vintage SUBs without the logo come up for sale. Never really kept a tally though, but that is the way it seems to me.
    Last edited by T Bone; October 9th, 2008 at 02:17.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Good question Si.

I reckon the USD logos are more common. Off the top of my head, of those i've seen for sale in the last 3 years (and indeed of the 7 or 8 i bought) most had the USD logo. I suspect that in the 70s, like today, the US market was the main destination so most were sold through US Divers and thus had the logo.

Two things i think i can say for sure - all 300T Conquistadors had the logo, and possibly no 300T Divingstar had it (in fact, there may be one i recall seeing owned by a member here...CM if you could confirm!)

As for desirability, i much prefer the non-logo dial. Yup, many people like the logos to add something to the face, but i like 'em sterile. But i think the market in general prefers with logo, again this may be a US thing.

Last edited by GraniteQuarry; October 8th, 2008 at 11:50. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Good question Si.

I reckon the USD logos are more common. Off the top of my head, of those i've seen for sale in the last 3 years (and indeed of the 7 or 8 i bought) most had the USD logo. I suspect that in the 70s, like today, the US market was the main destination so most were sold through US Divers and thus had the logo.

Two things i think i can say for sure - all 300T Conquistadors had the logo, and possibly no 300T Divingstar had it (in fact, there may be one i recall seeing owned by a member here...CM if you could confirm!)

As for desirability, i much prefer the non-logo dial. Yup, many people like the logos to add something to the face, but i like 'em sterile. But i think the market in general prefers with logo, again this may be a US thing.

Those crazy Yanks
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Good question Si.

I totally agree to David. I also like to have the dials of my watches without any kind of logos. In case of the Doxa Sub who has a quartered dial it looks very unbalanced to me.

The other thing is that the US-Divers-Subs allways had the feet-bezel which is impractical for the most divers here in Europe.

Regards
    Holger

Best Regards
    Holger
    ************************************************** ********************************************

ROLEX: Submariner 14060M ('03), Submariner 16610 ('91), Submariner 16800 ('85), Submariner 5513 ('79), Submariner 5513 ('64)
    OMEGA: Speedmaster Professional Mark IV ('73) Speedmaster Professional 125 ('73)
    DOXA: Sub 750T ('05), Sub 600T ('03), Sub 300T ('80), Sub 300T ('74), Sub 200 T.Graph ('70), Sub 300 noT ('67), Skindiver ('60)

Good question Si.

On the more common theory I 100% agree with David as the US was always one of Doxas biggest markets.

The only Divingstar with logo I know of is the Poseidon but it could be possible that there was a USD Version also.

The Conquistadors where also availlable in Europe, so there have been Versions witout the USD Logo on the Dial. No complete watch has been seen so far but some SUB 300T from the Synchrone area have been found two years ago which had fitted a conquistador Dial. All those non HEV had Bezels in feet. The former Owner of the "ProConnonHEV" operated a dive shop and stated that USD delivered Conquistadors to their shop with and witout HE Valves during that time.
    The surfaced non HEV Conquistadors all had non USD signed dials and where fitted into the newer thicker Synchrone Cases.
    Given this information my believe is that the Conquistador - as USD Version also not a real volume Version - was sold in very low numbers in Europe, so in the 70´s when Synchrone took over DOXA, they used the still large existing stock of european market non USD Conquistador dials and sold them in the US as kind of a standard Conquistador.

Regards Bernie

P.S. The Photos are not mine, I believe the orange one belongs to Brian the silver one could be JoeP´s. As far as I remember the photos where from Ebay and from the owners and are only for comparisson purposes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by BERNIE; October 8th, 2008 at 14:12. Reason: P.S. Pictures

GGD

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Those crazy Yanks
    I must be part Yank..... I love the logos on the dial

It kind of 'stamps' it as being specific to a particular point in time.

But then again, I love logos on everything so I'm probably not very subjective in my view on this point

Quote Originally Posted by subpro300 View Post
    In case of the Doxa Sub who has a quartered dial it looks very unbalanced to me.
    Interesting because I think the complete opposite. Because of the quartered dial, the face looks awkward to me without a logo.

-luke

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information