US Divers...a look back.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By subkrawler

Thread: US Divers...a look back.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

US Divers...a look back.

Some time ago I scored a few vintage U.S. Divers catalogs, just to check out the DOXA content. Some of the images I'd already seen in Doc Pete's 40th anniversary DOXA book, but some were new, and really cool.

The first one is from 1970, and starts with the coolest cover of the four I have.

I wish I had a '69 catalog to compare with, but for '70, everything was offered. There were Pros, Sharkhunters, Searamblers, T-Graphs, and the smaller ladies sizes. The Blancpain is interesting, and priced at $95 compared to the 300Ts at $160.

The T-Graph Pro, dominated the 1970 catalog.

In 1971, everything stayed the same, but with less catalog emphasis on the T-Graph.

The 1972 is the best of the bunch, as these images (that were only thumbnails in the '71 catalog), are large enough now so you can see what the divers are wearing.

However, in 1972, the catalog emphasis on watches was much less. Only the 300T, with a $15 price increase, remained. The Blancpain, the T-Graph, and the ladies models were no longer shown.

For 1973 (the last catalog in the collection), DOXA had a presence, but the new focus was on the Favre Leuba. The Favre Leuba Deep Blue, and the Favre Leuba Bathy 160 (with internal depth gauge) were what they were most excited about that year. Still awesome though.

Hindsight is 20/20, but when my son was born in 2004, I put a 600T Pro back for him so that he could have a birth-year watch. Being born in 1972, I wish my dad had done the same for me.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Re: US Divers...a look back.

What a fun post! Thanks for sharing it.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

As I said on the other side, what a great post Ty! The price comparisons are remarkable...
    Also, people forget what U.S. Divers and Cousteau did for recreational diving.

My dad didn't buy a birth-year watch like you did, but he did give me my first dive watch which lit a fire that has never extinguished. To this day I buy watches that share many of the design features of that very first watch. You've enabled a Doxaholic child!! :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love all those old-school dive pictures with the old-school gear. Just really cool. Thanks for sharing
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thank you for sharing these images! Cant get enough of these pictures. Will come back to this post many times for reference. Keep the pictures coming!

These are wonderful, indeed DOXAs and Blancpains......pretty killer! I love pics of the 'old school' equipment in action! One wouldn't think just how valuable these old catalogues are via reference material. A good example is the Blancpain, you see the original factory strap it came on.

Thanks for sharing .
    Omar Montaño

"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

I have looked through MANY vintage dive equipment catalogs over the years, and find it interesting that back in the day some of todays high end watch brands were not selling for very much money. Just look at the price of the Blankpain compared to the SUB300T almost half of what the SUB sold for. Of course back then a watch was more of a tool than a status symbol it has become today. I wish I could go back and buy some of those "cheap" watches!

Cheers,
    Andy
    Customer Care
    DOXA Watches

Wow, I wish I had some original catalogs to complement my 300t Sharkhunter. Thank you for sharing.

Ty, that really takes me back. I was certified PADI around 1972 and I was in high school. I remember going in the dive shop in Shreveport and seeing these watches. I really wanted one back then but I was lucky just to afford my equipment at the time. I'll probably get another Doxa before long.

My Son and I, St. Thomas
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

Enicar Sherpa Guide GMT
    Omega Seamaster Soccer Timer
    Breitling Navitimer 806
    IWC Mark XVIII
    Heuer Autavia 11630

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information