Vintage Nymph - Clean up (Sorry its a bit long !)

Thread: Vintage Nymph - Clean up (Sorry its a bit long !)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Nymph - Clean up (Sorry its a bit long !)

Hi All,

Well I did it again , I found this Nymph in Germany and it took four weeks to get to me and the seller refused to answer any of my emails ? and then hey presto it arrives out of the blue

It was pretty dirty, the bracelet was damaged, the crystal appeared to be matte inside and had a circular scratch inside the crystal. A piece of lume has dropped of the hand and wedged in the edge of the case and it would not run for more than a minute. Apparently it was the sellers Grandmothers watch and had lain in a draw for years.

As it arrived. (not too bad)

So I took it to my horologist to have the back removed as it was on sooo tight and he also removed the crown as this is a bit fiddly on these. You have to turn a tiny screw 1.5 turns to release it, if you turn it too far it can cause real problems

Took it home and dissassembled it.

In bits. (note lume piece on crystal)

Case stripped. (note fogged dial and interior scratches)

Cleaning time now. I cleaned the case using cotton buds and wait for it........ T-Cut. Some might think I'm mad but its a really good metal cleaner as long as you don't polish it, things get way too shiney, and just use it to clean. The clouding and scratch inside came off after a little work, the worst bit was under the bezel which was solid and caked on. Then I removed all traces and particles with microfiber cloth and put the movement back in (I did not touch the movement or hands, I thought about re-luming the minute hand, but not this time !). Back to the Horologist for crown replacement and case back tightening.

The bracelet was filthy and had years of grime in between the links and in the clasp so I washed it with a stiff brush and washing up fluid under running hot water until it ran clear. I then sacrificed one of my worn spare links to replace a lost bead which is quite fiddly as its easy to over squeeze the bead flat when closing it up. I could have replaced the link but its in really good condition with hardly any wear on the pins. And it really is quite satisfying repairing something this fiddly.

The bezel was filthy underneath and again I used a stiff brush and washing up fluid to clean it. I dont like an overpolished bezel where the depth and crispness of the numerals are lost so I just soaked a rag in T-Cut, laid it flat, and just drew the bezel firmly backwards and forwards over it a few times. Then to finish it off I used a cape cod cloth to give it a little shine. Then I painted the numerals using modelers enamel. I speed up the process a bit by using an low heat oven so that I can apply and re-apply as needed without having to wait for ages for it to dry.

And here she is .......................................

Finished article.

Close up.(some scratches to the crystal !)

Caseback and 'fixed' bracelet.

Sorry !, I pinched this pic idea from a few other posters Its my daughter and me with the conquistador

I've been wearing around the house to give it a workout since I finished it and its losing a little time but I want to run it for a while longer to see if it evens out after a little use. If not its onto the 10 week waiting list with my horologist

Sorry the post is so long I hope you found it interesting/entertaining

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

Re: Vintage Nymph - Clean up (Sorry its a bit long !)

Jesus Si your daughter has big hands !!!

Good rescue there mate, another one for your growing lady collection (is there something we should know... LOL !!!)

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post

Simon, which wrist is yours??

Excellent rescue, and thanks for the post. Are you going to get it relumed?
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Simon, which wrist is yours??

Excellent rescue, and thanks for the post. Are you going to get it relumed?
    Thanks Jason,

I'm not sure yet, I've relumed a few of my Doxa hands but I would have to re-lume all three hands and I don't think it will match the dial very well as it so small. My lume looks ok on the larger 300 dials, if I can get a better colour match of lume I will do it.

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

GGD

Thanks for that great post Simon

I find it really interesting when people do little repairs etc themselves.... I imagine that it's very rewarding (not quite game enough to try myself at the moment).... I think the Nymph came up great.

And the pic of your daughter's hand on yours is very cute! What's crazy is that it actually fits her.... what size is the dial?

Cheers.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Jesus Si your daughter has big hands !!!

Good rescue there mate, another one for your growing lady collection (is there something we should know... LOL !!!)

Or maybe Simon has really tiny hands.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Great work! And very interesting post!

Cheers
    Leif
    Current watch collection:
    None, actually... Not counting the casio I got from my mom 20 years ago...
    Seems kinda strange frequenting a watch forum without owning a watch, doesn't it?
    1997 I promised myself that the next watch I wear would be a Doxa... Someday I will!

Nice Job Simon. Looks like another great score!

Fantastic! Great find, great job, thanks for sharing!

--Keith

Fantastic pick up and even better clean up! You have skills.

-luke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information