Well I did it again , I found this Nymph in Germany and it took four weeks to get to me and the seller refused to answer any of my emails ? and then hey presto it arrives out of the blue
It was pretty dirty, the bracelet was damaged, the crystal appeared to be matte inside and had a circular scratch inside the crystal. A piece of lume has dropped of the hand and wedged in the edge of the case and it would not run for more than a minute. Apparently it was the sellers Grandmothers watch and had lain in a draw for years.
As it arrived. (not too bad)
So I took it to my horologist to have the back removed as it was on sooo tight and he also removed the crown as this is a bit fiddly on these. You have to turn a tiny screw 1.5 turns to release it, if you turn it too far it can cause real problems
Took it home and dissassembled it.
In bits. (note lume piece on crystal)
Case stripped. (note fogged dial and interior scratches)
Cleaning time now. I cleaned the case using cotton buds and wait for it........ T-Cut. Some might think I'm mad but its a really good metal cleaner as long as you don't polish it, things get way too shiney, and just use it to clean. The clouding and scratch inside came off after a little work, the worst bit was under the bezel which was solid and caked on. Then I removed all traces and particles with microfiber cloth and put the movement back in (I did not touch the movement or hands, I thought about re-luming the minute hand, but not this time !). Back to the Horologist for crown replacement and case back tightening.
The bracelet was filthy and had years of grime in between the links and in the clasp so I washed it with a stiff brush and washing up fluid under running hot water until it ran clear. I then sacrificed one of my worn spare links to replace a lost bead which is quite fiddly as its easy to over squeeze the bead flat when closing it up. I could have replaced the link but its in really good condition with hardly any wear on the pins. And it really is quite satisfying repairing something this fiddly.
The bezel was filthy underneath and again I used a stiff brush and washing up fluid to clean it. I dont like an overpolished bezel where the depth and crispness of the numerals are lost so I just soaked a rag in T-Cut, laid it flat, and just drew the bezel firmly backwards and forwards over it a few times. Then to finish it off I used a cape cod cloth to give it a little shine. Then I painted the numerals using modelers enamel. I speed up the process a bit by using an low heat oven so that I can apply and re-apply as needed without having to wait for ages for it to dry.
And here she is .......................................
Close up.(some scratches to the crystal !)
Caseback and 'fixed' bracelet.
Sorry !, I pinched this pic idea from a few other posters Its my daughter and me with the conquistador
I've been wearing around the house to give it a workout since I finished it and its losing a little time but I want to run it for a while longer to see if it evens out after a little use. If not its onto the 10 week waiting list with my horologist
Sorry the post is so long I hope you found it interesting/entertaining