Vintage Searambler 300T restore?

Thread: Vintage Searambler 300T restore?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Searambler 300T restore?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I found it today after searching for info regarding service on my 1969 USDivers searambler 300T. I've had it all these years and still works. It is showing it's age some though. The tritium on the minute hand has broken out and the date no longer advances and the bezel is stuck (maybe just a little cleaning). I'm embarrassed to say that before reading posts on this forum and elsewhere I had no idea the watch had anything but sentimental value. So here's the question. I talked to the Doxa rep in Huston this morning and he suggested sending it back to the factory because they are the only ones doing service on the vintage watches. Does having the watch restored help or hurt it's value (I'm not interested in selling it anyway but want to do the right thing). Thanks for your help. Joe

Re: Vintage Searambler 300T restore?

That's cool, Joe!

Any chance you could post some photos, both for our appreciation and perhaps to assist those with informed opinions with more information to work with? I know I'd enjoy seeing them!

--Keith

Hi Joe

Welcome to the forum, great watch you have there!

I did a lot of research on restoration recently, have a look here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ht=restoration

Stoll & Co. is the current official USA repair centre for Doxa, but many guys here recommend Jack Alexyon at IWW. I personally chose Jurgen Hauff in Germany for my two vintages currently with him.

In any case expect a wait - prob 3-6 months (or more) turnaround - and budget anywhere $300 - $1000 for a refresher which will have it like new, depends on your exact requirements.

Well worth doing, the watch will be valuable when done.

Cheers,
    David.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Joe,
    Give us some pics and we can give you some advice as to what restoration aspects need to be completed. I have definitely evolved into more of a minimalist. You can sometimes do just a couple things without having to get it completely restored.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Yeah i should have said - pics, pics, pics required !!

And Jason is absolutely correct, some of us like them NOS, others like a watch with a bit of WABI (wear and tear, windswept and interesting as Billy Connoly would say!) so depends on what you like.

D.

Let me qualify my position. If you are starting out with virtually nothing (as in the total overhaul being done for my friend David) then you might has well get it looking as close to new as you can. However, if everything is in pretty good shape already.......then maybe just a few TLC things can be done. It seems as if the watches in which the dial is all original command the most money. If a watch has been completely relumed, it doesn't seem to be as desirable. Remember, this only holds true if the dial and watch are in pretty good shape already.

Here is a watch in which almost all of the lume is missing from the dial. I will never get it relumed though. It is also the only watch that I own that would be worthy of being in the "GraniteQuarry Club"

Best Regards,
    Jason

GraniteQuarry Club - LOL Jason you flatter me !! Love that Poseidon, completely agree it's one to leave untouched.

For reference here's what a really bad-state Doxa looks like -

Dial lost most of its lume and markers, hands without lume, secondhand gone walkies, crystal very scratched, movement erratic. It's getting the full refurb right now and was due back like new with the silver redial courtesy of my friends in Germany - but through good fortune will return with something special inside, watch this space...

D.
    Last edited by GraniteQuarry; December 18th, 2007 at 16:00. Reason: Helps if i include the intended photo......!!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    GraniteQuarry Club - LOL Jason you flatter me !! Love that Poseidon, completely agree it's one to leave untouched.

For reference here's what a really bad-state Doxa looks like -

Dial lost most of its lume and markers, hands without lume, secondhand gone walkies, crystal very scratched, movement erratic. It's getting the full refurb right now and was due back like new with the silver redial courtesy of my friends in Germany - but through good fortune will return with something special inside, watch this space...

D.
    You know, the bracelet and case really are pretty good. "The Special Inside" has me thinking this thing will be KNOCKOUT!!!!
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Wow - thanks for all the quick replies. Here are a couple of pictures. Again thanks for your advice. Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joe,
    Thanks for the pics. My advice:

Service the movement.
    See if the bezel can become unfrozen.
    repaint the numbers on the bezel
    relume of the hands, with an attempt to match the dial
    Leave the dial as-is. It looks perfect for a vintage Doxa

JMHO
    Best Regards,
    Jason