Vintage sharkhunter synchron is this original?

Thread: Vintage sharkhunter synchron is this original?

Vintage sharkhunter synchron is this original?

Hi guys i am new to Doxa watches but I have the chance of a vintage sharkhunter I think it's from the 70s it has synchron on the back, it has a lot of wabi on it with bits of lume missing from the hands, the second hand is a sort of creamy yellow which matches the lume colour but the second hand doesn't look like it has that square piece on the end! it's just pointed, did they do them like this or does it sound like the wrong hand, oh it hasn't got the bracelet either the bezel is very marked, how much would i expect to pay for one of these very well worn? Is it original or a franken.Name:  !BpG0M3g!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-EEEuZ,FpcsOBLp-TQcp4Q~~_12.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  20.0 KB this is the best picture I can get at the moment sorry

many thanks

Andy
    Last edited by andy armitage; April 6th, 2010 at 19:32. Reason: added more to title

Re: Vintage sharkhunter synchron is this original?

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Hi guys i am new to Doxa watches but I have the chance of a vintage sharkhunter I think it's from the 70s it has synchron on the back, it has a lot of wabi on it with bits of lume missing from the hands, the second hand is a sort of creamy yellow which matches the lume colour but the second hand doesn't look like it has that square piece on the end! it's just pointed, did they do them like this or does it sound like the wrong hand, oh it hasn't got the bracelet either the bezel is very marked, how much would i expect to pay for one of these very well worn? Is it original or a franken.Name:  !BpG0M3g!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-EEEuZ,FpcsOBLp-TQcp4Q~~_12.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  20.0 KB this is the best picture I can get at the moment sorry

many thanks

Andy
    Andy, the second hand has definitely been replaced at some point. I am not sure that I would call it "Franken", because often these watches just received whatever part could be found that was handy at service (when not serviced by Doxa). One must remember..........These watches were very much tool watches back in the 70's and "keeping original" was not terribly important to people. Also like you said, the bracelet appears to be a non-original bracelet, but I cannot tell for sure from the picture.

You might be able to find an original vintage Doxa Second-hand. I would contact them to see if they by chance have one. One of the members here might have an extra one lying around also.

BTW, welcome to the Doxa forum!!!
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your warm welcome, I am new to Doxas but I love vintage watches, would you think that this watch is worth getting or does it look in too bad a state? He said it has been recently serviced, but I don't know who by! What would i expect to pay for this watch, it has no box/papers or bracelet! When you say i could get a proper vintage second hand where would i look for that/ The chap who has got this watch said the service cost him £120 Pounds stirling and I can make him an offer for the watch and he will consider it! So what should i pay and what would be a good price for me to get it for?

thanks

Andy

Andy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Hi Jason,

Thanks for your warm welcome, I am new to Doxas but I love vintage watches, would you think that this watch is worth getting or does it look in too bad a state? He said it has been recently serviced, but I don't know who by! What would i expect to pay for this watch, it has no box/papers or bracelet! When you say i could get a proper vintage second hand where would i look for that/ The chap who has got this watch said the service cost him £120 Pounds stirling and I can make him an offer for the watch and he will consider it! So what should i pay and what would be a good price for me to get it for?

thanks

Andy

Andy

Andy,
    I am probably not the best person to ask about pricing. I have a decent sized vintage collection, and haven't been pricing these as of late. One in that shape would have sold for $800 a couple years ago. Now, with the bad economy.........I would expect that it would sell for a bit less. Take a look at Ebay with some completed listings, and it should give you a decent idea of current pricing.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thanks Jason,

But is it worth buying in that rough condition?

Andy

Andy,

the watch is mostly original besides the second hand and the bracelet. The case is a Synchrone non screwdown case with synchron sign on the back, movement should also have a synchrone signed rotor.

The red chapter ring is often seen on these synchrone watches.

Your question what a fair price is, is currently hard to tell as prices are going up and down currently.

A pretty nice US Divers Sharkhunter sold lately for around US$ 900 and another one for only a little more. Both had the original bracelet and the US Divers Logo on the Dial. These Versions are rated a bit higher by the collectors and bracelets had a going rate between US$ 300 and 400 lately.

If you take this into account, plus the missing second hand, add the costs for repair refurbish and service. I wouldn´t offer more than US$ 500.00 currently.

The watch is nice but to source a correct second hand is nearly impossible and if you find one you still have to refurbish the whole set to have them match eachother.

All in all it´s still a great watch and worth being restored.

Regards Bernie

Thanks very much for that Bernie much appreciated i just hope I will feel ok about it as i dio like original watches and that second hand might bother me

Andy

Thread Information