Vintage Sub300T Pro restoration....sorry its another long one !

Thread: Vintage Sub300T Pro restoration....sorry its another long one !

Vintage Sub300T Pro restoration....sorry its another long one !

Hi All,

Well I've been up to my old tricks again, I've got myself a new vintage Pro daily wearer which needed a bit of Si loving.

The dial was quite badly damaged , someone had tried to remove it from the movement without releasing the dial feet clasps and bent all the edges resulting in flaky paint. No lume left and a few cracks in the paint.

I had to re-flatten the dial and then touched up the dial with modeler's paint. All the lume is missing but......I'm kinda liking the dial without lume its a little bit different. I also re-painted the bezel and tried something new for polishing the outer ring. My main concern with polishing the outer ring is loss of numeral definition so I sneaked it into my work and put it on the diamond paste polishing wheel, it did not get rid of the main scratches but it certainly brings up the surface well.

Sadly the case back is well beyond redemption, its probably the worst I have ever seen The case back 'o' ring was missing so I used an 'o' ring from my head gasket set for my landrover ! and cut it shorter and re-joined it. It fitted perfectly.

The top of the case had already been re-finished but the sides were polished to a high shine so I re-finished them using a green scrubber and copious ammounts of water. The crown that came attached to the movement was tiny and the stem was very short so my Horologist fitted a stem extension and another crown. Its by no means perfect but its functional. If it starts to bother me I will find a chunkier more appropriate one.

The movement was running for a while and then stopping, so I got one of the watchmaker's air cleaners/blowers and gave it a good going over. Its working OK now but its gaining a few minutes a day so I'm going to have a go at regulating it :oops: and the retaining mechanism for the stem needs attention as if you're not careful you can pull it out ! So it will need a full service at some point in the future.

This is the finished article on a black nato. You can see the seconds hand is missing, I have'nt been able to locate one of these yet (if anyone knows where one is ) but it does not bother me to much. The crystal is quite badly scratched and has a few chips but it makes the watch all the more wearable as I don't mind the odd ding or bump.

Finally tonight I put it onto a wachadoo lumpy tonight. I really like the dial without lume but knowing me I will change my mind and get it re-lumed at some point.

I'm very happy with the result as its my first real build from scratch, and as usual my thanks go out to my regular supplier who made it all possible.:thanks

Hope you all enjoyed this

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

Re: Vintage Sub300T Pro restoration....sorry its another long one !

Great job in the restoration Simon

Super project watch you have ... can't wait to see what else you do to her.

Nicely done...best of luck finding a second hand.
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're becoming a pro at this! looking for a job at Doxa?!

-luke

Man, you and David are cornering the market on these little restore jobs. Excellent!!!
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Well done, Simon
    I like this kind of jobs
    Hope to hear more from you

Best Regards
    Holger
    ************************************************** ********************************************

ROLEX: Submariner 14060M ('03), Submariner 16610 ('91), Submariner 16800 ('85), Submariner 5513 ('79), Submariner 5513 ('64)
    OMEGA: Speedmaster Professional Mark IV ('73) Speedmaster Professional 125 ('73)
    DOXA: Sub 750T ('05), Sub 600T ('03), Sub 300T ('80), Sub 300T ('74), Sub 200 T.Graph ('70), Sub 300 noT ('67), Skindiver ('60)

I would just like to declare that thanks to Simon's recent madness my stocks are now depleted and i will be closing shop and retiring to the south of France immediately !!

Actually, i reckon this was the best rescue yet, some very rough parts came together surprisingly well, it's almost the perfect "beater" Doxa. WELL DONE SI !!

The non-lume dial looks like the German Bund ones doesn't it, perhaps that's what it was...

Well done Simon. Man after my own heart. I have a 0.25 Rotring drafting pen which I have used to touch up the minute markers. takes a steady hand but works good.

Pete

Very nice job!

Leif
    Current watch collection:
    None, actually... Not counting the casio I got from my mom 20 years ago...
    Seems kinda strange frequenting a watch forum without owning a watch, doesn't it?
    1997 I promised myself that the next watch I wear would be a Doxa... Someday I will!

Thread Information