Watch winder for Doxa

Thread: Watch winder for Doxa

Watch winder for Doxa

I have a couple of Doxa's (750 pro and sharkie) as some of you know. I have a watch winder that I got about a year ago to take care of my "cheapies". It alternates during a 3-4min cycle between going clockwise and then counter clockwise. I was wondering if this is safe for my doxa's. I had heard that if a watch movement only winds in one direction that going the opposite way will damage the watch. Any advice (other than wearing both of them all the time?)

Thanks in advance...

Ryan

Re: Watch winder for Doxa

Hi Ryan,

I have tried a few different winders in the past. However, I have been most pleased with my Orbita Sienna 3. It is very robust and is fully programable. The Doxa's need 650 TPD both directions. It is not the most quiet winder but it is very well made. If you do look at buying one, specify individually controlled heads. I hope this helps.

David

Doxa 750t Sub Pro
    Bretling Superocean Steelfish
    Sinn U1
    Kobold Soarway Seal

Quote Originally Posted by lineman9122 View Post
    I have a couple of Doxa's (750 pro and sharkie) as some of you know. I have a watch winder that I got about a year ago to take care of my "cheapies". It alternates during a 3-4min cycle between going clockwise and then counter clockwise. I was wondering if this is safe for my doxa's. I had heard that if a watch movement only winds in one direction that going the opposite way will damage the watch. Any advice (other than wearing both of them all the time?)

Thanks in advance...

Ryan
    To answer your question ... it will be fine Doxa's wind in both directions.
    John M.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks a bunch. That is what I needed to know.

Yes, John is correct, I've read the ETA 2824-2 used in the Doxa 750 winds in both directions. Orbita in their database, http://www.orbita.net/pages/17104.htm , recommends 650 turns per day for the ETA 2824-2:

--Keith

I thought I would just throw a little more information into the mix. I have a Wolf 2-watch winder and I like it very much. Very quiet, and I really like the daily "Sleep mode" that it goes into automatically. Makes me feel like it mimics my daily routine a little closer since I take my watch off at night. They are rather expensive, but heck, I thought that since I had spent such an amount on a watch........Why not put it on a decent winder??

Here is a good thread on winders:

Click HERE
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thanks again guys. Glad to see the link and table on movements (Carib S.). Also...Jason you are right...spent the $ on the watches...need to get a better winder. Better wait till after X-mas.

Ryan

Thanks again guys. Glad to see the link and table on movements (Carib S.). Also...Jason you are right...spent the $ on the watches...need to get a better winder. Better wait till after X-mas.

Ryan

Read a little about the Wolf winders.

www.wolfdesigns.com

I have no reason to promote the winder. I did own several other different kinds that were less expensive. After reading about the wolf, there was one feature that really sold me. 6 hours of intermittent winding just like the other winders, Followed by 18 HOURS OF SLEEP WITHOUT WINDING. This allows the mainspring to unwind. To me, this would keep the mainspring in better health, rather than winding it every couple minutes around the clock.

JMHO though.
    Last edited by Jason71; December 20th, 2007 at 00:41.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thanks Jason. Gonna do some more research. The one I have now is doing ok (at least for the time being.) I haven't been a forum member for all that long and it has been a fantastic help...Granted my bank account thinks differently. I keep trying to learn a little more and more everyday and this is the place that I get that done. Really glad to have the help and the "support group".

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Thanks Jason. Gonna do some more research. The one I have now is doing ok (at least for the time being.) I haven't been a forum member for all that long and it has been a fantastic help...Granted my bank account thinks differently. I keep trying to learn a little more and more everyday and this is the place that I get that done. Really glad to have the help and the "support group".
    I can back Jason up on the Wolf. I have a single head winder, and it's been going constantly for two years straight. It's a great piece of equipment.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Thread Information