Watch Winders?????

Thread: Watch Winders?????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Member ssmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    813

    Question Watch Winders?????

    OK, I have been trying to decide on a new winder. I sold my old one to Andy awhile back and haven't been able to decide on one. If money was not an issue it would be easy. I just have a hard time justifying paying $1000+ for one. I would really like to buy one that would wind a minimum of four and prefer it to wind eight. I have found:

    Orbita (3 watches) for $900
    Rapport ( 4 watches) for $599
    Steinhausen (8 watches) $299

    Does anyone have a winder that they are extremely happy with and would recommend?

    :thanks
    Scottie

  2. #2
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,728

    Re: Watch Winders?????

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
    OK, I have been trying to decide on a new winder. I sold my old one to Andy awhile back and haven't been able to decide on one. If money was not an issue it would be easy. I just have a hard time justifying paying $1000+ for one. I would really like to buy one that would wind a minimum of four and prefer it to wind eight. I have found:

    Orbita (3 watches) for $900
    Rapport ( 4 watches) for $599
    Steinhausen (8 watches) $299

    Does anyone have a winder that they are extremely happy with and would recommend?

    :thanks
    I have a Wolf single winder and I like it a lot. I think its at least two years old, maybe older. It's been running constantly since my wife bought it for me as a gift and no problems so far.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  3. #3
    Member Chronometer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,959

    Re: Watch Winders?????

    I have six from ABest. I purchased them through The Watch Prince. com. As far as I can see he is and WAS (key word WAS) the only dealer in the U.S.. No fancy wood but I keep mine in the safe anyway. Tons of settings. Fully adjustable and AC or DC. Oldest one is about 1 1/2 years old and knock on wood (none on the winder); So far so great. Good luck, Troy

    They run around $95 each I think.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Chronometer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,959

    Re: Watch Winders?????

    Oh yea! If you check out Orbita's site you can find the recommended settings for most watches. Cheers, Troy

  6. #5
    Member jmoors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    905

    Re: Watch Winders?????

    Hi Scottie,

    I have the Steinhausen (8 watches) $299 ... it is okay. Been running it for about 3 months now. The only issue I have with it is that you need to balance out the watches ... what I mean is put watches of the same weight on each rotating disk. Each disk holds two watches and if they are of different weights it doesn't rotate very smooth. But balanced it works fine. For the price I thought it was a pretty good deal and does keep them running fine.

    John M

  7. #6
    Member mariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    127

    Wink Re: Watch Winders?????

    Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Hi Scottie,

    I have the Steinhausen (8 watches) $299 ... it is okay. Been running it for about 3 months now. The only issue I have with it is that you need to balance out the watches ... what I mean is put watches of the same weight on each rotating disk. Each disk holds two watches and if they are of different weights it doesn't rotate very smooth. But balanced it works fine. For the price I thought it was a pretty good deal and does keep them running fine.

    John M

    I have one of the cheap 29 bucks, 49 bucks for shipping of of the bay, it holds 4 watches, and is fully adjustable, its been going for two years...

  8. #7
    Member ssmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    813

    Re: Watch Winders?????

    Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Hi Scottie,

    I have the Steinhausen (8 watches) $299 ... it is okay. Been running it for about 3 months now. The only issue I have with it is that you need to balance out the watches ... what I mean is put watches of the same weight on each rotating disk. Each disk holds two watches and if they are of different weights it doesn't rotate very smooth. But balanced it works fine. For the price I thought it was a pretty good deal and does keep them running fine.

    John M
    Thanks John. That is very useful info. So would you go for something different if you had it to do over again?
    Scottie

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    southern California
    Posts
    13,418

    Tried a couple of Orbitas, they never worked well...

    they had a difficult time with heavy dive watches. I talked to their CS folks and they half way agreed that large heavy watches may not work well on their stuff.
    I hear Wolf makes some good equipment: collectors say that the bay is the best place to get them.
    DW

  10. #9
    Member ssmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    813

    Re: Tried a couple of Orbitas, they never worked well...

    Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    they had a difficult time with heavy dive watches. I talked to their CS folks and they half way agreed that large heavy watches may not work well on their stuff.
    I hear Wolf makes some good equipment: collectors say that the bay is the best place to get them.
    DW
    Thanks David. Your info could have just saved me a considerable amount of money. I may have to strike orbita off the list. All my watches are divers (except the deco). Mostly Doxa's but I will have two Orsa which are big chunks of steel. The weight factor could pose a problem.:thanks

    Does anyone know anything about these: http://www.monacodesigns.com/product...IN&SubCat=Quad
    Last edited by ssmith; August 15th, 2007 at 05:28.
    Scottie

  11. #10
    Member ssmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    813

    Picture Re: Tried a couple of Orbitas, they never worked well...

    Well, I took Ty & David's advice to heart and went with a Wolf Winder. I picked this one up and it should be here in a few days. I'll let you all know what i think after having it awhile. Thanks to everyone for the advice, info & suggestions

    Scottie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •