A Weighty Issue for Doxa

Thread: A Weighty Issue for Doxa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Weighty Issue for Doxa

I was just wondering what the weight is of the new 800Ti? How does it compare with the 750T? Thanks Doxa!

Reply from DOXA

Hi, the SUB800Ti is 169 grams including bracelet, compared to the heaviest DOXA, the SUB600 T-GRaph is 221 grams, and the SUB1000T is 185 grams

DOXA
    Last edited by DOXA S.A.; November 11th, 2008 at 19:11.
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

Re: A Weighty Issue for Doxa

Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1 View Post
    I was just wondering what the weight is of the new 800Ti? How does it compare with the 750T? Thanks Doxa!
    I'd like to know too. I'm firing it should be about the same as the 750T, since the case on the 800Ti (I've got to say it feels soooooooo good to use "Ti" in association with a Doxa Sub!!!) is almost ident. to the 5000T. I'm guessing around 140-150grams???

Kev

If its titanium, it will be much lighter. I love the look of titanium, but one thing I had to adjust to is that it is very very light. Some Ball watches are titanium too, but they use SS bracelets so it adds a little weight back to the watch.

In general, I like a blasted SS finish as it has the weight of SS but the dull satin look of titanium. I think DOXA made the right decision to come out with a Ti sub though, as people have been asking for that for a while now.

I am going to guess 110-130g total on bracelet (vs ~180g for the 750T) for the 800.
    Last edited by Eric L.; November 8th, 2008 at 22:41.
    Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had a Ball Mad Cow model which was TI and I believe the bracelet was TI as well....very light weight...the tritium tubes glow like a full moon...nothing brighter...really...nothing...if you could plug the watch in it wouldn't be any brighter. I am excited Doxa has used this technology for a diving tool as you should be able to see it no problem in total darkness if needed!

I really want to pull the trigger on this watch but the only thing holding me back is not knowing the weight. Doxa S.A.?
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

Hey Romeo--

Titanium has a density of about 4.5 g/cm^3.
    Steel's density is anywhere between about 7.7 - 8.1 g/cm^3.

Using an average steel density of about 7.9 g/cm^3, a Ti piece should be about 57% of the mass of an identical steel piece.

Pete gives a mass of about 175 grams for the SUB 750T on his site. So I'm guessing that the 800Ti would be about 100-120 grams, give or take. That's about 3.5 ounces.

Some obvious assumptions in the above (e.g., the crystal's and movement's density would be unchanged, the case size is slightly different, etc), but given the density differences, you're looking at a substantial (prob about 30-40%) weight reduction.
    Last edited by bhaladog; November 11th, 2008 at 15:44.

DOXA Forum Administrator 1

Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1 View Post
    I really want to pull the trigger on this watch but the only thing holding me back is not knowing the weight. Doxa S.A.?

Hi Everyone - we certainly don't mean to keep you in the dark on this one!

Traditionally at DOXA we have not provided the weight of our watches as a standard spec - usually more along the lines of diameter, height, mvt. type, etc.

Having said that - we have requested this information and as soon as we have it we will post it. This should allow plenty of time for those of you on the fence to decide whether or not this new DOXA is for you. Remember, the introductory price is good through December 31st!

DOXA

Quote Originally Posted by bhaladog View Post
    Hey Romeo--

Titanium has a density of about 4.5 g/cm^3.
    Steel's density is anywhere between about 7.7 - 8.1 g/cm^3.

Using an average steel density of about 7.9 g/cm^3, a Ti piece should be about 57% of the mass of an identical steel piece.

Pete gives a mass of about 175 grams for the SUB 750T on his site. So I'm guessing that the 800Ti would be about 100-120 grams, give or take. That's about 3.5 ounces.

Some obvious assumptions in the above (e.g., the crystal's and movement's density would be unchanged, the case size is slightly different, etc), but given the density differences, you're looking at a substantial (prob about 30-40%) weight reduction.

Some good points - but one area that will "bolster" the weight would be the bracelet - remeber that this new DOXA SUB utilizes the same bracelet style as the 5000T - more solid and substantial. But let's hang in there for an "official" or even "un-official" weigh-in from someone in the coming days - anything else is just too speculative :thanks

DOXA

Yep--agree--I'll throw mine on the balance when it arrives (Friday?!?!?!)

Why wait for Friday -

Reply from DOXA

Hi, the SUB800Ti is 169 grams including bracelet, compared to the heaviest DOXA, the SUB600 T-GRaph is 221 grams, and the SUB1000T is 185 grams

DOXA
    Last edited by DOXA S.A.; November 11th, 2008 at 19:11.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaladog View Post
    Yep--agree--I'll throw mine on the balance when it arrives (Friday?!?!?!)
    That would be fantastic! Thank you!

James

DOXA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information