Well, I'm back........sort of........

Thread: Well, I'm back........sort of........

Well, I'm back........sort of........

Terribly sorry I haven't been around all week. My computer was invaded by a trojan horse/adware virus. (Anyone who designs these programs should be covered in honey and staked out on an ant hill ). It has caused me a lot of headaches since last Monday. I've mostly gotten the situation under control (finally!) but will be very limited on-line for a couple more days. Then, on Friday, I'm heading into Canada fishing for 5 days, so I will be completely off the grid for a few more days. I'll try to get caught up as much as I can this week before my trip.....

Paul

Re: Well, I'm back........sort of........

Quote Originally Posted by Searambler View Post
    Terribly sorry I haven't been around all week. My computer was invaded by a trojan horse/adware virus. (Anyone who designs these programs should be covered in honey and staked out on an ant hill ). It has caused me a lot of headaches since last Monday. I've mostly gotten the situation under control (finally!) but will be very limited on-line for a couple more days. Then, on Friday, I'm heading into Canada fishing for 5 days, so I will be completely off the grid for a few more days. I'll try to get caught up as much as I can this week before my trip.....

Paul
    Is that the one that installs the fake toolbar on your browser? If so, had that a couple of months ago, huge pain in the butt.
    Cheers,

Keith

Glad to have you back Paul. Not much going on here lately. Rambler T-Graph from John V. was purchased by Forum member........

Business as usual.........

Catch some big fish four us......

Incidentally, now that you are on broadband, do you have a router??? Really cuts down on those types of things.........
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You should consider getting a Mac. It's not that they're immune, it's just that it's more efficient for hackers to attack PCs cause there's more of them out there. Of course it won't protect you from Ma Nature. My phone and DSL modem were fried by lightning two weeks ago and it took them five days just to repair the phone lines. Sometimes you just can't win. Catch some big ones.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Sorry to hear about the computer getting "horse sick". I hope it's fixed and well protected now.

Welcome back, and have a great trip! Hey, those don't go together often....

Have fun in the Great White North, catch lots of fish!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Keith, this one causes a whole bunch of pop-up ads to appear whenever you go on-line and whenever you change internet pages. One of the ads is for WinDoctor, saying your computer is infected and do you want to buy our anti-virus program? So I guess basically the bast***s infect your computer then try to sell you the fix.

Jason, my computer doesn't have a router (although I think there's one in the garage for woodworking! ). Frankly I don't know what a router does or how to get one. Computeristically I'm pretty ignorant........

Joe, I've often thought of a MAC, especially recently, but my computer is still relatively new. Down the road, when I go to replace it, I will give MAC a hard, serious look.

T - thanks. My goal is to try and catch a walleye or a pike big enough to mount on my wall. I've made this trip before as some here know, we'll be about 4+ hours north of Sault Ste Marie (home of the famous Soo Locks!). In a cabin on a small island - no electricity, no radio, no TV, no phone. But the 'fridge, water heater and stove are all run off propane, so we'll have that going for us, which is nice. My other goal is to get a good, clean picture of a moose, preferably a bull with antlers, to go with my wolf shot and bear shot I've gotten over the years.

The lodge we use is here: http://www.lochisland.com/
    We're staying on Otter Island. The website was done by my brother - the pic of the kid on the front page is my nephew and his 25" walleye he got about 4 years ago!

Paul

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

That place looks great (and like a good place for a plane on floats ).

Funny, I'm going to be up in your "neck of the woods" this weekend for a family reunion (Fife Lake anywhere near you? A lot closer than Detroit anyway!).

Have a great time! And shoot the moose (shouldn't that be "shutter the moose"? ).
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Paul, you need a router!!! Being on a broadband connection you now have a static IP address. If you are not protected, there are people out there that will even set up a server and use your computer to spread MP3, Movies, all kinds of illegal Stuff. A router is assigned your IP address and basically the hackers cannot see your computer. It makes the possibility of you getting a virus or adware much less. I have never gotten one since being set up with a router (knock on wood).

There are other ways to skin a cat, but this is a fairly easy and fairly inexpensive one.......
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Paul, you need a router!!! Being on a broadband connection you now have a static IP address. If you are not protected, there are people out there that will even set up a server and use your computer to spread MP3, Movies, all kinds of illegal Stuff. A router is assigned your IP address and basically the hackers cannot see your computer. It makes the possibility of you getting a virus or adware much less. I have never gotten one since being set up with a router (knock on wood).

There are other ways to skin a cat, but this is a fairly easy and fairly inexpensive one.......
    Thanks Jason, I'll definitely look into it when I return from my fishing trip!

T - Loch Island does fly-ins, in fact the owner got his pilots license last year and is looking for a plane. We always drive because we bring so much stuff with us! Although not so much this year, my bro called this afternoon and said we're NOT staying on Otter Island, we're staying at the Lodge on Loch Island itself. I'm really geeked as I've never stayed there before, I've always been on Otter Island. What's nice about staying at the Lodge is all the meals are provided, which eliminates our food prep time and increases our fishing time! (Plus they have a pool table there.....).

My bro also told me the owner and his wife were fishing last night a couple miles from the Lodge and SHE pulled in a 40+ inch pike!

Paul

Thread Information