What am I paying for in a Doxa?

Thread: What am I paying for in a Doxa?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What am I paying for in a Doxa?

New member with many questions

I've been a watch collector for a while now and have always justified my watch purchases (especially as I buy all of them used). So I'm wondering why in the world would the new sub5000 cost 3k?

Does Doxa even have its own manufacturing facilities? I got the impression that like many small brands most if not all of the watch is outsourced.

Say I list the sub5000's major components and what it costs Doxa to make:

Movement (is this the cosc grade? any embellishment on the 2892?): 200USD
    Case: 300USD
    Bracelet: 250USD
    Dial and hands:100USD

(these prices are taken from prices that third party swiss and german makers not entirely accurate but in the range)

The total cost is less than a third of what DOXA charges? I mean is there a service center for Doxa? (I'm not talking about sales rep...but craftsmen that stand behind Doxa?)

PLus, Doxa charges its full price to customers. (not like other watch brands who sell through dealers)

Lets compare to the Omega PO:
    I would give it around the same cost, but considering that instead of a base movement Omega's 2500 has bidirectional winding, jewels for the mainspring and the free sprung coaxial escapement. That said, the approx 900 I quoted for omega includes costs for the advertising that Omega does as well as its manufacture (they employ 900 and have one of the largest watch facilities). Plust, they sell their watches to dealers to around 50% of the MSRP!!! So they charge 1500, for the PO. (dealers eat the other half, but that's what it takes for any luxury item) I realize there are Omega boutique, but the amount of dealers is far more.

So what am I missing?

Last edited by DOXA S.A.; November 18th, 2007 at 21:49.

Re: What am I paying for in a Doxa?

Not sure you came off the way you intended in your 1st post here. Realize this is a bunch of pretty hard core Doxa fans. Easy to sound like a troll even if that wasn't the intent.

A brief reply from a non-expert. Won't argue your ballpark costs, (..even think you're a little high on a couple). Don't see the relevance though. Using your Omega example, given the Swatch group's volume buying power and cost containment their costs are lower still, but Omegas are still viewed to be "good value" purchases.

Silly to even mention the markup imposed by the big "R" in this discussion. Omega and Doxa both look like tremendous values in comparrison.

Why am I happy to pay Doxa prices? Beyond excellent value, quality of construction and product support, A Doxa on your wrist guarantees exclusivity and a striking out of the mainstream look that bigger "name" brands can't match.

JM2CW, YMMV!

You can start here for some history..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxa_S.A.

Then do a search on this form.

I think buying any watch for a certain price depends on the individuals perceived value. That is what you are trying to figure out really, the perceived thought process that makes a DOXA a DOXA.

There is no mistaking a DOXA for any other watch. Rich history, and quality of workmanship is as good as any other watch of the price range.

If you are just buying watches from a collection standpoint and not an emotional one [watch that speaks to you], you can always check the bay and sale forums and find out what ones are getting the most money. However, current values are in no way indicators of future values.

If you've never crashed, you've never gone fast enough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hawainpanda View Post
    I've been a watch collector for a while now and have always justified my watch purchases (especially as I buy all of them used).
    Then you should not need to ask the questions you did. If you had asked about how they wear, timekeeping, how they look on the wrist etc then fair enough.
    For the questions you are asking, tell me how Omega answered your questions.

I'm not sure where you're going...did you not read my post? please read it again

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

So what am I missing?
    This should be fun to watch. I think I'll go grab some pop-corn.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

First of all, you sound like a troll.

Second, the 5000 retail is $2500 returning customer just under $1900.

Third, Doxa does have service centers, a couple depending on where you are and a great customer service department. Some of the friendlies and most helpful of any I've done business with.

Fourth, most other companies do not sell direct, at least those that have dealers. Why would a dealer want to carry a particular brand when he will be undersold by that very brand.

Fifth, the PO is a nice watch, sounds like you think so to, so buy one and quit complaining.

Sixth, common internet etiquette is that you search a forum and find out what other have said before you kick the door in and start a fight. Check your tone, attitude, and preconceived notions at the door and you will find that those in this forum are very helpful and friendly. Leave a burning sack of dung on the door step you will have the door slammed in your face.

New member with many questions

I've been a watch collector for a while now and have always justified my watch purchases (especially as I buy all of them used). So I'm wondering why in the world would the new sub5000 cost 3k?

Does Doxa even have its own manufacturing facilities? I got the impression that like many small brands most if not all of the watch is outsourced.

Say I list the sub5000's major components and what it costs Doxa to make:

Movement (is this the cosc grade? any embellishment on the 2892?): 200USD
    Case: 300USD
    Bracelet: 250USD
    Dial and hands:100USD

(these prices are taken from prices that third party swiss and german makers not entirely accurate but in the range)

The total cost is less than a third of what DOXA charges? I mean is there a service center for Doxa? (I'm not talking about sales rep...but craftsmen that stand behind Doxa?)

PLus, Doxa charges its full price to customers. (not like other watch brands who sell through dealers)

Lets compare to the Omega PO:
    I would give it around the same cost, but considering that instead of a base movement Omega's 2500 has bidirectional winding, jewels for the mainspring and the free sprung coaxial escapement. That said, the approx 900 I quoted for omega includes costs for the advertising that Omega does as well as its manufacture (they employ 900 and have one of the largest watch facilities). Plust, they sell their watches to dealers to around 50% of the MSRP!!! So they charge 1500, for the PO. (dealers eat the other half, but that's what it takes for any luxury item) I realize there are Omega boutique, but the amount of dealers is far more.

So what am I missing?
    I have too many watches.....

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but - these are just watches... NONE of them (except some low-end G-Shocks and Timex) are "worth" even half what fanatics like us are willing to dish out for them.

When you get right down to it, only a nut (like us) would pay more than $50 to find out what time it is.

Still, though, I sure like my watches!
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Doug507 View Post
    ...these are just watches... NONE of them (except some low-end G-Shocks and Timex) are "worth" even half what fanatics like us are willing to dish out for them.

When you get right down to it, only a nut (like us) would pay more than $50 to find out what time it is...
    Heretic! Heretic!!

Seize him!

STONE HIM!!!!! STONE HIM!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny S View Post
    Heretic! Heretic!!

Seize him!

"Most people go their whole lives wondering if they've made a difference, U.S. Marines do not have that problem." - Former U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information