What did I buy???

Thread: What did I buy???

Inactive

What did I buy???

Found this for sale and represented as a 1971 Sub 300T Professional. There were only poor photos available, but seller is a brick and mortar shop and I can return it if I want. I think it probably is a vintage 300T, but don't know enough about this brand to say for sure. Here is what I noted when I arrived today:

1. Dial looks original, but has some water damage. (Not entirely unexpected on a dive watch and perhaps adds some character if one chooses to look on the bright side.)
    2. The crystal is a replacement. It should have a domed acrylic. This one is flat sapphire.
    3. The "Synchron" is a Doxa bracelet, but I think t was used on later models not this one, and the end pieces do not fit correctly 
    4. The outer bezel is repainted. The dot would should be a matching orange, not the red it is now, and the numbers should have been the same orange, not black.
    5. The inner bezel may be a replacement
    6. The crown is a non-Doxa replacement

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

T
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: What did I buy???

Quote Originally Posted by asonnett View Post
    Found this for sale and represented as a 1971 Sub 300T Professional. There were only poor photos available, but seller is a brick and mortar shop and I can return it if I want. I think it probably is a vintage 300T, but don't know enough about this brand to say for sure. Here is what I noted when I arrived today:

1. Dial looks original, but has some water damage. (Not entirely unexpected on a dive watch and perhaps adds some character if one chooses to look on the bright side.)
    2. The crystal is a replacement. It should have a domed acrylic. This one is flat sapphire.
    3. The "Synchron" is a Doxa bracelet, but I think t was used on later models not this one, and the end pieces do not fit correctly 
    4. The outer bezel is repainted. The dot would should be a matching orange, not the red it is now, and the numbers should have been the same orange, not black.
    5. The inner bezel may be a replacement
    6. The crown is a non-Doxa replacement

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

T
    Welcome to the Doxa Forum. Here's a few observations from a fellow Doxaholic:

1. The dial is probably original, but...if the dial has water damage the movement will most likely have water damage as well. Have it inspected, resealed, and pressure tested.
    2. Flat sapphire is correct for this watch. Domed acrylic was standard for the early 300 no-T Subs.
    3. The beads of rice bracelet is of the correct type, but should be marked Doxa.
    4 & 5. The bezel is one piece, not two.
    6. Not all crowns were marked Doxa.

I hope this helps.

Bo

Inactive

Re: What did I buy???

Thanks Bo. I had ABC Watchwerks open it up, and the movement was surprisingly clean.

Thread Information