What is first Clive Cussler book to reference Doxa?

Thread: What is first Clive Cussler book to reference Doxa?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is first Clive Cussler book to reference Doxa?

Thanks to the summer sale, I became a first time DOXA owner this summer and have since become a doxaholic, although I do have my issues with the watch (1000T). One component for embracing the brand was all the love here for Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt, an author and character I had never heard of, but determined to learn about.

I was recently in B&N book store and found them promoting Pacific Vortex, which reads in the intro as Clive's "first" Dirk Pitt story, but that he didn't think it good enough to publish and only released the story after he had published another story first. I opt'd for Clive's first DP story and powered through Pacific Vortex in a weekend - fun and enjoyable enough to want to read more - - but what surprised me is that every reference by Dirk in Pacific Vortex to his watch is simply that - he looked at his watch. No reference to DOXA.

My question to the good folk here - what is the first Cussler book where Dirk Pitt actually references DOXA?

Many thanks! I'm sure this is a no brainer for many on the forum!

Re: What is first Clive Cussler book to reference Doxa?

If I recall correctly, it's in "Iceberg", when he dives on the wreck of the business jet that was shooting at him previously...
    "Iceberg" is the third Dirk Pitt book: the first is Pacific Vortex, where no mention is made of his watch, the second one is " The Mediterranean Caper", here he wears an Omega (I believe somebody here is quite certain it was a PloProf, but I don't remember that well :oops:) and then comes "Iceberg".

Yep, Iceberg (second book published, but third book written) is the first time Pitt's Doxa is mentioned.

Chapter 10, page 127: "The depth gauge read ninety feet and the orange dial on the Doxa diving watch notified him that he had been down two minutes."

Chapter 10, page 132: "He glanced at the Doxa watch. He had only been down for nine minutes, not the ninety his imagination suggested."

Chapter 11, Page 144: "Pitt looked at his Doxa watch. One-thirty, still early in the afternoon."

Chapter 21, Page 273: "Pitt glanced at the luminous dial of the orange-faced Doxa watch on his wrist."

In Trojan Odyssey, Dirk Pitt passes his watch on to his son Dirk, Jr. and it's the first time the actual model is mentioned.

Chapter 14, Page 140: He glanced at his SUB 300T orange-faced Doxa dive watch given to him by his father - 7:47 P.M. They had been alone in habitat without communications from the outside world for nearly sixteen hours."

Chapter 19, Page 198: "Using the light, he took a glance at the orange dial of his ancient Doxa dive watch. He had been down four minutes."

NOTE: The above page references are from the US first editions. Later paperback versions and non-US editions will not have the same page numbering.
    Last edited by Steve Tracy; August 29th, 2009 at 05:09.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great info fellas...thanks for passing along - especially the specifics on chapter and page, Steve! I look forward to reading more of Cussler's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Tracy View Post
    Yep, Iceberg (second book published, but third book written) is the first time Pitt's Doxa is mentioned.

Chapter 10, page 127: "The depth gauge read ninety feet and the orange dial on the Doxa diving watch notified him that he had been down two minutes."

Chapter 10, page 132: "He glanced at the Doxa watch. He had only been down for nine minutes, not the ninety his imagination suggested."

Chapter 11, Page 144: "Pitt looked at his Doxa watch. One-thirty, still early in the afternoon."

Chapter 21, Page 273: "Pitt glanced at the luminous dial of the orange-faced Doxa watch on his wrist."

In Trojan Odyssey, Dirk Pitt passes his watch on to his son Dirk, Jr. and it's the first time the actual model is mentioned.

Chapter 14, Page 140: He glanced at his SUB 300T orange-faced Doxa dive watch given to him by his father - 7:47 P.M. They had been alone in habitat without communications from the outside world for nearly sixteen hours."

Chapter 19, Page 198: "Using the light, he took a glance at the orange dial of his ancient Doxa dive watch. He had been down four minutes."

NOTE: The above page references are from the US first editions. Later paperback versions and non-US editions will not have the same page numbering.

I never thought of Senior giving Junior his watch. I had thought he'd purchased the 300T reissue from Doxa since it was around the time of the 300T reissue. Always figured Dirk Sr. kept his watch and bought his son the newer one. :)

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by perfectlykevin View Post
    I never thought of Senior giving Junior his watch. I had thought he'd purchased the 300T reissue from Doxa since it was around the time of the 300T reissue. Always figured Dirk Sr. kept his watch and bought his son the newer one. :)

Kev
    I thought the same thing - I took it to be the 300T reissue.
    Doxa 750T Pro, Bernhardt Globemaster, MKII Stingray 50

Since it's not mentioned specifically, and since Trojan Odyssey came out in 2003, it would be entirely possible (if you would like in your mind) that Dirk Jr. has a 2002 re-issue.

Especially since the line says, "given to him by his father" and not "passed on to him by his father." I also believe that, in recent books, Dirk Sr. still has his own Doxa.

Maybe Friday I'll suggest to Cussler that those of us on the Doxa Forum would like that cleared up....

(If all goes as planned, I will be attending Cussler's book signing in Auburn, Indiana in three days...pics to follow!)

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

If that's Junior there, I don't think it was the reissue.... (haven't gotten that far in the series myself). But still ask Steve, even if that was Junior, Clive and Dirk can change what they want to suit the story (it's happened before ).

Now, where's that CC book I left off in the middle of....
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

I believe TBone and PerfectlyKevin are correct.

On page 198 in T.O., it is Dirk Pitt Sr. who "glances at his ancient Doxa."

In subsequent books, both Pitt and his son have Doxas. I'm going with Dirk Jr. having a SUB300T Professional Re-Issue of 2002.

Although it would be entirely possible that Pitt would peruse Ebay in search of an excellent condition original to give to his son (I'm sure he would also be on Ebay Motors looking for cars and car parts as well), how in the world could he have ever gotten one over all of us here on the Doxa Forum???

Dirk's Doxa can't be too ancinet - he lost his original one on the Titanic's deck.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information