What is the obsession with the Helium Release Valve?!

Thread: What is the obsession with the Helium Release Valve?!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is the obsession with the Helium Release Valve?!

Watching the poll with great interest and anticipation, I am shocked by the number of people who are voting for the addition of the HRV! I can't imagine more than 5 or 6 of the people voting for the HRV are professional divers that actually spend time in a helium saturated environment. So why the great interest? I understand that Doxa helped pioneer the HRV. However, to me, Doxa dive watches are about practicality and functionality. Adding a HRV is just another hole in the watch that can cause problems in the long run. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    - Dawg182

Re: What is the obsession with the Helium Release Valve?!

useless option, that is why i stay away from omega diver and i bought two doxa in the past...

in a short future we will see only rov for deep sea diving,

as in manless: http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/systems/tuwvs.htm

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

As in the auto industry, space, aircraft and other varied environments, I doubt we will ever (at least in our lifetime) see complete automation and total elimination of the human element in commercial diving.

That said, a watch may in fact be redundant for diving, with all the other choices available. But some will always want one. And as to the HRV, first off it is an historic thing. Yes. Doxa was the first to pioneer one. Also, there are some who actually do have use for it for their work (you've seen some post here).

Last, no one is suggesting they put an HRV in every model (they never did). Just that they make one available. Now what I wonder, is with so many bringing up the needlessness of the HRV, why is no one speaking on the uselessness of exceptional depth ratings (1000m vs. 750m, which is better, and why? ). Same type of thing with 200mph streetable automobiles. Some just want 'em!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    As in the auto industry, space, aircraft and other varied environments, I doubt we will ever (at least in our lifetime) see complete automation and total elimination of the human element in commercial diving.

That said, a watch may in fact be redundant for diving, with all the other choices available. But some will always want one. And as to the HRV, first off it is an historic thing. Yes. Doxa was the first to pioneer one. Also, there are some who actually do have use for it for their work (you've seen some post here).

Last, no one is suggesting they put an HRV in every model (they never did). Just that they make one available. Now what I wonder, is with so many bringing up the needlessness of the HRV, why is no one speaking on the uselessness of exceptional depth ratings (1000m vs. 750m, which is better, and why? ). Same type of thing with 200mph streetable automobiles. Some just want 'em!
    T-Bone,
    A 200 mph streetable automobile usually has good 0-60mph pick-up and there is the possibility of brining the car someplace that allows you to go that fast. As for the depth rating, THANKFULLY only 14 people have voted for a deeper rating ... which I agree is useless. I am concerned about the HRV because it is getting a high number of votes and I would be sad to see Doxa wasting time on a useless function when there are so many more practicable problems at hands (e.g., T-graph with pushers that function underwater).

Technically I think that the industry should follow Seiko's lead and use the gaskets to function as the HRV like in the Tuna Can. I admit Omega's screw out HRV is kind of goofy.

Now as to the practicality of dive watches, Unless it was issued to you by your employer or was considered a necessary tool (like mechanics tools), how many of you would take a $2000 to $10000 watch in harms way? There is only a tiny community of people out there that need 90% of the features we see on higher end dive watches. If you want to be practical, then all we really need for recreational diving are 200M Seiko divers or better still Casio G-Shocks (which I own and consider real bargains). Besides how many watches can you wear at one time without looking like you're mentally unhinged?. This whole over engineering thing started with lawyers and the definition of water resistance. Why can't they call a watch like the Seawolf Avenger waterproof? Unless you've got a red S on your chest you ain't gonna be doing any personal evaluation to 3000 M. So why do I collect dive watches? Cause I can. So to any of you out there with Tuna Cans You don't need no stinking HRV and to everyone else go for it.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Cause it's cool.

no other reason needed.
    Cheers,

Keith

Why spend 2000 dollars on a watch which tells the time less accurately than a 15 dollar one from Walmart?

Field of dreams..... build it and they will come

Pete

K E W L is in

Quote Originally Posted by cdnwatchguy View Post
    no other reason needed.
    And if one is cool, two is better :) GP SH Pro.
    DW

I could care less if they reissue the Conquistador-I already have mine.
    --Doxa 300t silver Conquistador He Valve--
    Doxa silver Conquistador (no He valve)-
    -Doxa 300t Reissue Divingstar(seahunter caseback)--
    Doxa 300t Reissue Sharkhunter

Doxa SUB600 T-Graph Pro Reissue (2005)
    Doxa 300t sharkhunter--
    Aqualung U.S.Divers Sharkhunter (Quartz)
    Panerai Pam86-- Panerai Pam199 Regatta --Panera Pam217 Destro --Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Sapphire caseback---Omega Seamaster PreBond-
    2002 Marathon Sar

Hey Joe....me too

Pete

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information