Why I chose the Divingstar GMT

Thread: Why I chose the Divingstar GMT

Why I chose the Divingstar GMT

Hey guys,

There has been a bunch of discussion on this board about which dial type to choose on the Doxa that interests you.
    I thought I might post why I chose how I did, as it could be helpful for those going through that process.

Bit of background-I've been collecting watches pretty much all my life. It all started with a Seiko chronograph given to me by my father in 1977. He traveled to Japan a lot on business, and he had picked this one up several years before. It accompanied me on many adventures through my youth, until I lost it in my teens.

Fast forward-I was in school in NYC, and just starting to respark my interest in watches. I started with an Omega Seamaster (not the dive watch) and moved to other vintage autos. It wasn't until I made a bit of $ after school that I got into collecting full force. My first was an Omega Speedmaster Professional-I remember looking at that online, and thinking one day I will get it, and that's all the watch I'd ever need...you know how that goes.
    Once I got the Omega, I looked for a dive watch. I found Pete's site, or the Doxa site (not sure which) around that time, and found that Doxa was selling reissues of the Pro-I wanted the orange dial, but it was sold out, but they still had some Divingstars...so I got one of those.

I loved the watch, but there were two issues to me: First, the bezel was NOT painted in yellow, rather, it was the same orange as the bezel of the Pro model. It just didn't look right to me. Second, I wanted the dwarf hour hand, and saw that the 600T had it. I went back and forth for a while, and eventually traded the DS for a TGraph Sharkhunter. Great watch!
    I did eventually pick up a 600T Divingstar:

While I liked it, and Doxa corrected the bezel paint issue, I had two problems with this model: First, I really preferred the 120-click bezel, rather than the 60-click on this model, and second, I didn't like the dive helmet on the face. Other than that, it was a great watch. It eventually was traded away, too, which I regret.

The next watch was a 300T Pro reissue. I realized how much I missed the case/bracelet of the 300T reissue once I got that one. I truly think that Doxa got that one so right!

However, I really missed the yellow dialed Doxas....I managed to trade to a GMT Pro, but as I already had an orange-dialed Doxa, I wanted to get the DS-a few deals later, I got one!

The things I love about the DS GMT is that it is unique among the Doxa line for having the yellow paint in the bezel. I believe that all the others have orange paint (at least the current models-not vintage). I like the dial/case combo-to me, it's better balanced than the 750T dial, which has a bit too much empty space on it (similar to my opinion about the 45.5mm Omega Planet Ocean-the 42mm seems much more balanced to me). This model has the GMT bracelet, which I prefer to the thinner one. The yellow/black of the dial, and handset is fantastic. Nice contrast, unique among the other GMT watches out there.
    There is also the movement-the 2893-based GMT movement. I have found this movement to be excellent, both in time-keeping, and stability. I have a Seiko MarineMaster 300, which is another fine watch-my only complaint with that one is that the movement, although fantastically accurate, is not as stable-it will pick up a few seconds when I take it jogging, which doesn't seem to be the case with the Doxa, Planet Ocean (another 2893-based movement). The only one in my collection with better stability is my Rolex SD, which keeps the same rate no matter what-it's like a quartz watch in that respect.

So, for me, the Divingstar GMT is the best choice. It's a great addition to a collection, and also would be great for those who want only one watch (although you may find yourself wanting a dress watch, as the yellow is bold).

Best,

Chris
    --
    "What you think, you become"

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

Re: Why I chose the Divingstar GMT

Love post. Thanks and nice DS
    Watch list:

Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50
    , Tudor Black Bay Black Bezel eta, Omega Speedmaster MK40 3520.53

Loved reading your story. Makes me miss my departed GMT DS a lot.
    Some watches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chris, I enjoyed your post -- especially since your pursuit of the DS GMT led to me getting the Pro GMT I had been craving! (Thanks again )

Last edited by rfjacques; September 7th, 2009 at 22:56. Reason: Added pic
    // Rob

Rob,

Very happy you ended up with the Pro GMT-I am sure it has a great home!

The GMT is something special, and I was very happy to be able to help out more than just me in this deal.

As you can imagine, I am really happy with my DS GMT!

Best,

Chris

PS-great picture!
    --

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

Just another couple of points, on Doxa in general:

One thing I noticed, and really like, is the anti-glare coating Doxa uses on their crystals. The flat crystal models I have had have that "disappearing crystal" effect, more so than any other watch I've had, save the Omega PO, which has coating on both sides. I first noticed this on my DS 300T reissue, and it holds true for the DS GMT as well.

As far as accuracy, I think that a COSC certificate is a nice thing to have, but not necessary-I don't wear the certificate on my wrist. That said, the Doxas I have owned have always kept good time, some have kept excellent time, and all have been within COSC specs (none of them were COSC models). The DS GMT I have is within a second for the week or so I've owned it-I just checked, and it still is dead-on with my Mac's clock. That is an overall accuracy that is virtually unmatched in my collection-the Sub 300T Pro reissue is similar in accuracy, but not quite as stable overall.

So, overall, as you all well know (after all, this is a Doxa forum) Doxas are very well made, accurate, and have lots of little touches that show they are well thought-out as well.

Chris
    --

-Buddha

Thanks for your impressions of Doxa watches. People who, like me, we have one, we are well threads like yours. Thank you very much.
    a greeting.

Nice write up and welcome to the club. Mine says Hi.

Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate