Why is the paint wearing out or falling off so common on Doxa bezels?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Why is the paint wearing out or falling off so common on Doxa bezels?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why is the paint wearing out or falling off so common on Doxa bezels?

Based on a lot of pictures here and elsewhere, it would seem fairly common for Doxa paint to fall out or wear off the numbers on the bezels.

My question is not how to fix this; I've seen those threads.

I like to know what might be causing this, so I can try to avoid this if I can in the first place.

Having owned dozens of divers over the years, I have never had any where the paint has fallen off or worn out. Even those with no bezel inserts, where the numbers are engraved in the SS and paint filled.

I've never given any consideration to this in the past, and have worn my watches in just about any condition, except where they are likely be physically damaged, i.e. digging in dirt, working on lawn equipment, making sand castles with the kids, etc.

I'm not talking about paint that is missing as a result of a scratch.

Is is exposure to something, like a chemical, detergent, etc?

The number of pictures showing this got me started thinking about this as I was washing my car with my Doxa on. I started wondering if the detergent could have an effect? Or over spray from insect repellent, or tire cleaner, etc.

I'm figuring there must be something different about the paint Doxa uses?

DOXA Forum Administrator 1

Re: Why is the paint wearing out or falling off so common on Doxa bezels?

The paint wearing off the bezel is a normal occurrence. It is due to the unique design of the bezel with the deeply engraved numbers. Here is a link to instructions on how to touch up and repaint your bezel:

REPAINTING A BEZEL

If you are not comfortable with repainting your own bezel, we can repaint it for you when your watch comes in for service.

Thank you,
    Customer Care
    DOXA Watches
    Watch Man Always likes this.

A freshwater rinse after every dive is going to keep gunk from building up in the engraving and better protect the paint –.I know folks who were spending a lot of time in the ocean and potentially not doing this were seeing their numbers come out at a faster cadence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

IF I owned a Doxa (maybe one day), I would take marine grade two part clear epoxy and coat the numerals on the bezel with it. That should waterproof it and keep the numbers there much longer.
    perfectlykevin likes this.

I’ve had a watch in the past that lost bezel paint after using insect repellent. I intentionally tried to remove orange paint from this Seiko bezel with automotive choke cleaner with some results but only 50% removal after two soakings. Remembering my earlier experience with repellent, sprayed it with deep woods off, and paint was floating out of the markers. I would avoid repellent around watches...and kids that you care about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nepatriot and Hose A like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinesis View Post
    I would avoid repellent around watches...and kids that you care about.
    Yeah, you don't want the paint falling off your kids, amirite.
    Reality:
    Doxa SUB Mission 31 (mission worn)
    Doxa SUB 200T T-Graph Searambler
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC Divingstar
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC MilShark
    Doxa SUB 5000T MilShark (#0052)

Dreams:
    Doxa SUB 300T Poseidon (original)
    Doxa SUB 600 T-Graph Searambler
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC Caribbean

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I was wondering about.

I've owned dozens of dive watches over the years, and most use paint of some sort on the bezel numbers. Never lost any paint. Also can't recall seeing pics with missing paint as much as Doxa, which made me wonder about what might cause this.

Doxa was kind enough to respond on this thread about how to fix it; I'm more interested in why Doxa's may be more prone to this, and how to minimize this pro-actively.

Certain chemicals is what I was thinking. Sunscreens, detergents, and other things that can get on the watch. I had my Doxa on while spraying my son's bike gears with WD-40.

I do use insect repellent this time of year when I take the dogs for a walk in the evening, and have never tried to avoid getting it on my watches. I looked over all my watches and fortunately see no issues, but will take them off before spraying.

Maybe it's that more Doxa's tend to be less pampered than the average desk diver. Or maybe its just the paint or application process used by Doxa.

But then again a lot of people use Seiko's as beaters, and I don't see so many paint issues. I know people who have one diver, like a Rolex or Omega, that they bought a decade or more ago, wear them all the time, no matter what they are doing .... lots of wear but I don't see paint issues.

Being such a storied, honest-to-goodness tool dive watch, I would imagine Doxa's paint and application is at least equal to Seiko, maybe even Rolex. So I'm thinking it's certain chemicals found in things divers may be exposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinesis View Post
    I’ve had a watch in the past that lost bezel paint after using insect repellent. I intentionally tried to remove orange paint from this Seiko bezel with automotive choke cleaner with some results but only 50% removal after two soakings. Remembering my earlier experience with repellent, sprayed it with deep woods off, and paint was floating out of the markers. I would avoid repellent around watches...and kids that you care about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received a new 1200T from Doxa a week ago and fresh out of the box there was no paint in the 70 marker and half the paint was gone from the 80 marker. I thought that maybe the paint just hadn't been applied there but when I looked very closely I could see orange dust specs scattered around the bezel. It was no big deal to me because I'm good at fixing stuff like this, but on my particular watch it looked to be a bezel which hadn't been prepared properly for paint or the paint itself may have been contaminated? I have other Doxas where I've polished the bezel and the paint seemed tough and remained adhered to the bezel throughout the process.

I really do enjoy Doxa watches and at least this issue is easy to fix, but it seems a little more durability/quality with the bezel paint adhesion may be worth investigating. There seem to be some subs with no issues and others which seem to lose paint easily like mine.
    Current collection: Early 70’s Doxa 300T Aqua Lung Sharkhunter, '92 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 3590.50, '95 Bell & Ross by Sinn 103, '00 Panerai 064C, '01 Panerai 087D, '03 Panerai 087F, '08 Seiko SBDA003, '08 Seiko SBDA005, '10 Doxa 1200T Diving with Legends 70/99, '10 Doxa 1200T NUMA Turquoise 4/50, '11 Doxa 1200T NUMA Blue 58/100, '14 Doxa 800TI Mission 31, '14 Doxa 1500T Aware II, '15 Fortiss Stratoliner Panda, '16 Helson H2O Kalamar, '17 Doxa 1200T DW 11/25, '17 Doxa 300 Black Lung Reissue Preproduction Prototype (no serial#), '17 Tudor Black Bay LHD, '18 Doxa 300T Poseidon Reissue, '18 Doxa 300 Silver Lung Reissue, '18 Doxa 1200T Sharkhunter '18 Seiko SRPC23, '18 Seiko SRPC49, '18 Seiko SRPC91, '18 Seiko SRPC93

I'm sorry but this is not normal, paint chipping so frequently. It's just poor/cheap manufacturing.
    TKiteCD and Vestergaard like this.

Back when I first started collecting vintage (used) Doxas and their Aqua Lung cousins, paint on the bezel numerals was typically long gone. Also had one of the reissued Pro watches that lost a few numbers over the years - not so unusual on the outer edge of a dive watch. Another forum member suggested using Elmer's "Painters"® markers (easy to find on the 'Bay) in the appropriate orange. Your color need may vary, but it was a fast, easy fix and worked great for me. As with any paint, prep is important...see Doc's tutorial per Doxa Admin below.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information