Why are so many people taking a $500.00 hit on a new DOXA?

Thread: Why are so many people taking a $500.00 hit on a new DOXA?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why are so many people taking a $500.00 hit on a new DOXA?

I have noticed a lot lately that a lot of guys are taking a $500.00 hit on their Doxa 1000Ts and 1200Ts. The prices on the sales forum are usually $500.00 less than the DOXA site.

What is up with that? Why would people buy a really nice DOXA and then flip it weeks, or a few months later and lose $500.00 bucks?

Re: Why are so many people taking a $500.00 hit on a new DOXA?

Doxa doesn't honor warranties for second owner. Even if it's only a week after purchase by the first owner. However, it dosen't matter that much to me. I have three previously owned Doxas in my stable.
    Last edited by whaler; April 10th, 2010 at 12:10.
    whaler

Doxa Sub 750T Sharkhunter
    Doxa Sub 750T Searambler

That's the secondhand market for ya, even though it might have been in the first owner's hands for just a few days. I feel sorry for those who do, but I wont worry about that, my Doxa is stickin' with me for a long long time.
    Watches:
    Doxa SUB 1000t Project AWARE #48/92
    G-Shock GWM5600-1
    Pathfinder PAW1300-1
    Luminox Ultimate NAVY SEAL 8202
    Hamilton Pulsar LED, Bulova Computron LED...and many others

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

IMO the special pricing Doxa ran is partly responsible - this type of thing almost always hurts the used market + the addition of more models/more supply. I'm not knocking the product, I own five of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 041kenyo041 View Post
    That's the secondhand market for ya, even though it might have been in the first owner's hands for just a few days. I feel sorry for those who do, but I wont worry about that, my Doxa is stickin' with me for a long long time.
    Very true. I don't plan on selling my DOXA any time soon either. I don't spend $1500 - $2000 on a watch that I'm not going to keep for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Conky View Post
    Very true. I don't plan on selling my DOXA any time soon either. I don't spend $1500 - $2000 on a watch that I'm not going to keep for a very long time.

+1

From what I've noticed on the bay; keep your DOXA for a few years and you can sell it for more than you paid for it.
    I don't have grandkids yet....so let me tell you about my watch!

It's not as bad as the hit you take if you buy say a Breitling through an AD and flip it. There is what seems to be an accepted 40% loss right off the showroom floor!
    Makes the second hand market all that much more appealing....and as a result, very risky at times.
    Last edited by Legmaker72; April 10th, 2010 at 19:08.
    Cheers,
    Christopher

Current
    :
    Omega Speedmaster - LE Apollo Soyuz
    Omega PO
    Omega Dynamic Chrono

Next is hopefully a PAM 682

Quote Originally Posted by Conky View Post
    I have noticed a lot lately that a lot of guys are taking a $500.00 hit on their Doxa 1000Ts and 1200Ts. The prices on the sales forum are usually $500.00 less than the DOXA site.

What is up with that? Why would people buy a really nice DOXA and then flip it weeks, or a few months later and lose $500.00 bucks?
    This happens with many brands. Some people are just chronic flippers. Certainly not unique to Doxa.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Quote Originally Posted by por44 View Post
    IMO the special pricing Doxa ran is partly responsible - this type of thing almost always hurts the used market + the addition of more models/more supply. I'm not knocking the product, I own five of them.
    Agree. The way they raised the price point on their watches and then later started offering the special pricing did a lot in my opinion to devalue their watches. I mean, look on their website right now, watches with special pricing $900 below the "retail price." It's great for new buyers , but it kills the value of the watches.

I love the Doxas, think they're very solid watches with great retro styling, but I hate the way Doxa played with the pricing like that.
    Remember the night is for hunting, and forget not the day is for sleep. - Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by SSeric02 View Post
    Agree. The way they raised the price point on their watches and then later started offering the special pricing did a lot in my opinion to devalue their watches. I mean, look on their website right now, watches with special pricing $900 below the "retail price." It's great for new buyers , but it kills the value of the watches.

I love the Doxas, think they're very solid watches with great retro styling, but I hate the way Doxa played with the pricing like that.
    I don't think it was intentional. I believe that Doxa has done what is necessary to try and stay afloat in these bad times. They initially raised their prices with the plan of joining the retail market. Unfortunately, the timing was pretty much in line with an economy collapse in the USA that hadn't been seen since the great depression.

To be honest, I am surprised that we haven't seen more of the boutique brands going under in these times we live in. I know I don't have the excess cash to buy watches like I once did. I remember times when I was buying 2 Doxas per month with quite a number of them coming directly from Doxa. Those days are gone for good I'm afraid.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information