Word of warning

Thread: Word of warning

Word of warning

To all who may be contemplating purchasing watches from auction sites please make sure you ask whether the VAT has been paid. Yours truly didn't.

I purchased a DOXA from a well know auction site from a UK vendor. I am also in the UK. I had cause to send the watch back to the Doxa factory for repair. When the watch was sent back it came with a large customs VAT bill because there was no proof that the watch had previously entered the country.

Doxa were superb in helping and advising me and I can't thank them enough but UK customs and excise are an anomaly, guilty until proven innocent. Even though I purchased the watch second hand, as the current owner I am liable for the VAT unless I can prove otherwise.

I'll pay the bill and put it down to experience but please all learn a lesson from this and ask before you buy.

I may be telling you all to suck eggs and I'm the only one who has fallen into this trap but if not........ASK BEFORE YOU BUY.

Re: Word of warning

Quote Originally Posted by dj68 View Post
    To all who may be contemplating purchasing watches from auction sites please make sure you ask whether the VAT has been paid. Yours truly didn't.

I purchased a DOXA from a well know auction site from a UK vendor. I am also in the UK. I had cause to send the watch back to the Doxa factory for repair. When the watch was sent back it came with a large customs VAT bill because there was no proof that the watch had previously entered the country.

Doxa were superb in helping and advising me and I can't thank them enough but UK customs and excise are an anomaly, guilty until proven innocent. Even though I purchased the watch second hand, as the current owner I am liable for the VAT unless I can prove otherwise.

I'll pay the bill and put it down to experience but please all learn a lesson from this and ask before you buy.

I may be telling you all to suck eggs and I'm the only one who has fallen into this trap but if not........ASK BEFORE YOU BUY.
    Excellent point, and thank you VERY MUCH for posting this personal experience. It is hard to tell a story when a person feels like they have gotten a raw deal. Someone will benefit from this story:thanks

Another great reason to just buy directly from DOXA
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Jason.

Thank you for your reply

I applaud your shameless sales technique!

The sentiment behind my thread is really for those who like me can't quite stretch to going direct and do look at the nearly new market.

I learned a valuable lesson over doing so and that is to make sure that if you have cause to send a watch back to it's originating country for repair, when the watch is returned customs will want you to prove that the watch has already had vat applied.....at least here in the UK they do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dj68 View Post
    I applaud your shameless sales technique!

The sentiment behind my thread is really for those who like me can't quite stretch to going direct and do look at the nearly new market.
    I like to put in a little plug when I can for ol' Rick You know, he has to pay his bills, and he has mouths to feed at home also

Seriously, not to scare anyone.......because most of my Pre-owned Doxas have been fine...........But I have gotten one that was scuffed, and it WAS NOT mentioned in the description. I have seen several times here on the forum where buying second-hand was a SERIOUS...........I don't want to say mistake.............Problem.

Just always remember......KNOW YOUR SELLER when possible. I have bought used Doxas twice from the same seller.
    Last edited by Jason71; December 5th, 2007 at 20:42.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

You must have some type of receipt of payment, perhaps a PayPal online receipt, or a bank transfer record or something. This would be your proof of the online purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by victus1 View Post
    You must have some type of receipt of payment, perhaps a PayPal online receipt, or a bank transfer record or something. This would be your proof of the online purchase.
    Yeah, I had a similar thing happen to me last year, though not with a DOXA. All I had to do was to contact the manufacturer with the watch serial number and name of person I bought it from (he was the 1st owner) and they sent me a letter explaining whom they originally sold the watch to, I then forwarded it to customs via Fedex. Had to pay up front but got a refund. Try that, gotta be worth a go.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Cheers
    Mark

The watch was sold new from Doxa Switzerland to the US and this chap paid the US import tax. He then sold it into someone in the UK who didn't declare it. So when I purchased the watch and sent it out to Switzerland it clearly hit the UK customs radar on its way back.

Apparently this is not an uncommon story.

oops!!
    Cheers
    Mark

I know this won't help you in your situation, but you can get round this if you ever need to send a watch away for repair or service again.

You can get a customs form from the post office (CN23 if the value of the item is more than £270) that you complete when sending the watch out of the country. When the watch comes back in this can be shown as proof that it is not a new purchase, and so duty is not levied.

Sorry to hear about your problems - but congratulations on the Doxa!

Rich

Very unlucky - i was warned of a similar situation by a grey market Rolex dealer in the scenario that someone steals your non-EU sourced watch, the insurance co will only pay out the net value unless it can be proven EU VAT has been paid.

Seems very harsh that guilty until proven innocent, if Fedex had you by the balls before releasing it not much choice but in any other situation i'd tell them to F off and prove the VAT hadn't already been paid !!

D.

Thread Information