Would the captain of the Stingray wear a Doxa?

Thread: Would the captain of the Stingray wear a Doxa?

Smile Would the captain of the Stingray wear a Doxa?

OK, OK, I'm just a big kid. When I was areal kid growing up in Ireland one of the highlights of TV was Stingray. It was the 3rd Gerry Anderson series after Supercar and Fireball XL5 and it was about a submarine called Stingray. The captain was the suave, sophisticated, dashing and daring Troy Tempest. The show was filmed in colour but I only ever saw it in black and white until many years later. I don't think Troy ever wore a watch but I'm sure it would have been an orange SUB. Actually Stingray ran from 1964 - 65 so it was a bit before the SUB. I happened to be in a SciFi store today and there it was. 9.5 inches long, Dicast metal (none of your plastic body stuff) and a never gave it a thought 30 dollars.

Here's the intro to it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E06cNv55jTs

Man it suxs to grow old but as my father always said. You will never grow old if you don't grow up... guess I'm living that lie every day

Pete

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: Would the captain of the Stingray wear a Doxa?

It was in color? Man, I'd love to see that! I think we got our first color TV in 1967 (sort of equating to HD these days I suppose). Don't ever recall seeing it in color, and it was a great show. A bit younger, Supercar was my favorite of favorite shows! Somehow, I can't recall Fireball XLS, but I'm thinking I MUST have seen it? Was it after Supercar?

Very cool collectible there Doc, good on ya!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    It was in color? Man, I'd love to see that! I think we got our first color TV in 1967 (sort of equating to HD these days I suppose). Don't ever recall seeing it in color, and it was a great show. A bit younger, Supercar was my favorite of favorite shows! Somehow, I can't recall Fireball XLS, but I'm thinking I MUST have seen it? Was it after Supercar?

Very cool collectible there Doc, good on ya!
    Here ya go T. I think XL5 came first then Supercar. Could be wrong. They had a cracking Supercar model too.... man, I feel another couple of purchases coming up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oboly57qxjg

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Too cool, how could I forget Steve and Venus? Yep, I remember that one now. I think it was after Supercar. Thing is, I was around 3 or 4 when I "discovered" Supercar. Next up, all sorts of things happened to change my TV exposure. There was that thing called "school" . Plus, in early 1963 we moved to a much smaller city with lots fewer choices for television. The first few years, I think we only had 2 channels IIRC. Somewhere in there, there was Stingray though, and then the Thunderbirds (unsure, but that MUST've been the same guy, right?). I somehow missed them until they'd been on for some time.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Check this. It seems the movie; Raise the Titanic had an effect on Gerry Anderson, the man behind Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds, UFO and Space 1999 to name a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Anderson

Pete

My wife just walked by as the intro was playing and she said "you watch guys seem to have a lot of time on your hands..."

They'll never understand :)
    DW

Thread Information