You can check out any time you like but..........
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: You can check out any time you like but..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

You can check out any time you like but..........

.......... you can never leave. Immortal words from the song 'Hotel California' and in many ways exactly how it is with Doxa watches.

I've been away from the forum for quite a while now. Dropped in once in a while but never really posted much. I guess once the DWL book was done and I had "my own" Doxa, there really wasn't anywhere else to go. I'd got to the top of my own Everest, so to speak. But then there was the 10 Year book. I'd been plugging away at it for quite some time but was just never able to finish it. I guess I really had to force myself to do it and in the end it turned out great, but the fact that I could only do a very expensive print on demand paperback version was a bit disappointing. Good as the ebook version is, nothing beats the feel of leafing through pages of photos. I guess I was kinda burned after that and with changing job and moving and having to travel to Equatorial Guinea, Trinidad, Canada and Mexico on a regular basis, life just ran away from me.

I hadn't spoke to Rick in months and months and so today I dropped him an email and he rang me. We talked for what seemed like hours. Catching up, righting wrongs, and planning how to take over the dive watch world. I went easy on him and never mentioned flat casebacks or flat crystals once.... well ok maybe once... or twice. Might even have been three times, but no more than that

What we talked about lit the fire again and got me excited about what Doxa is trying to do both in terms of new watches and in terms of being involved in something that has tremendous interest in the dive world. I made me think about why I keep coming back to old faithful....

I've got more watches than I need and have a pretty good selection ranging from some very nice Rolex, Breitling and Doxas but my 45 year old SUB 300T keeps pulling me back. Sure the 2-tone Blue Rolex looks flash and will probably get me mugged but it doesn't start conversations the way the SUB 300T does. Most people probably think the Rolex is fake anyway.

My 300T can pull a conversation from NoDeCo bezels, orange dials, Cussler, Pitt, Cousteau, Waterman, the Diving With Legends contributors and any number of stories about the guys I have met through the Doxa forum, including our very own Searaiders.

The great thing about a Doxa is there are not many of them about but when you meet someone else wearing one you know you are part of a rare group. Bit like the Hells Angels but with a better dental plan....

Its nice to be back. I've missed being able to prattle on to a captive audience Be prepared for more...oh yea and photos. Lots of photos.

Re: You can check out any time you like but..........

Welcome back Doc, your pics are always appreciated, not to mention your incredible knowledge.
    Current rotation:
    Rolex 116610 LV
    Rolex 116710 BLNR
    Rolex 16610 LN
    Rolex 16710 BLRO
    Tudor Black Bay GMT
    Doxa 1200T Sharkhunter
    Seiko SRPC91 STO Mod
    Seiko SKX007
    Greg Stevens GSD-2A Bronze
    Casio G-Shock GW2310-1

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    Ah, the old "Irishstar". Seen it with my own eyes, back in the day.....

Good seeing you back around here too, Pete. Maybe someday, you can dive with us once again.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Glad to see you're back Pete and all's well with DOXA again. The forum was empty without your input and participation. -Brad

Banned

Fantastic custom Irish Star and the four-leaf clover logo is very apt for you. We are all glad to see you back Dr. Pete as you will rejuvenate the pedigree. It was a pleasure speaking with and your contribution has been invaluable to us collectors.

Thank you.
    Last edited by mondrayuk; June 18th, 2013 at 14:56.

Amen to that!

Welcome back, Dr. Pete. Unbeknownst to you, I do blame you in more than one way for the Doxa (DWL) on my wrist and truth be told, I hope to add one or two more. I'm looking forward to your insights and "stroke with Doxa" and hope to be also part of the persuasion team that will convince Doxa to do the right thing (wink, wink .....).

I am happy that you decided to finish the 10-year book and although I do have the pdf-file and the paper-back, I will order the hard-cover version too once it becomes available. Some books simply deserve the hard-cover. Like the Feynman Lectures on Physics that my wife gave me as my wedding present - yes, I freely admit to being a nerd. Or, closer to home, the Diving with Legends book that came with my watch.

RonB

I love it when old voices come back: welcome back Dr. Pete!
    Doug507 likes this.

Doc, if it hadn't been for your website I never would have purchased a single Doxa. Now, a few Doxas later, I love mine more than ever.

It'll be cool having you around.
    Doug507 likes this.

Banned

Here here - you summed it up well

Pete, it is always a treat to see your photos and read your posts. I'm glad you are back. Cheers, Bill P.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information