Sinn LE Watch / Is the sky the limit??

Thread: Sinn LE Watch / Is the sky the limit??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Sinn LE Watch / Is the sky the limit??

I love all the activity on this exciting project!! congrats to everyone

Although I think all the suggestions so far have been awesome my gut tells me we may be moving a little far off the mark with some of the current ideas. I hate to be a broken record as I've pointed this out before but someone really should inquire exactly what sinn will and wont allow while we're still in the planning stages. For instance using an EZM case to create a non quartz, non chronograph watch with some sort of custom dial and hands will essentially create an entirely new watch instead of a basic LE of an existing model. IMHO I just don't think sinn will go for that. As far as I know we asked sinn if we could make a LE U1 and they said "sure"...creating a whole new watch may not be what they had in mind.

Don't get me wrong...I'd love it if the sky was the limit and I hope it is!! but we should ask sinn first before muddying the waters with lots of new options that may not even be available to us, and worse will disappoint and frustrate folks if sinn later says "no" and we have to start from scratch. I've been involved in a few other forum created watch projects and seen them fizzle out over trivial setbacks, let's keep the momentum going on this sinn LE!!

Along with an EZM case option a few other simple questions should include if we are limited by a specific type of lume?? I know there has been a growing C3 vs BGW9 debate and folks seem to hold the issue of lume close to their hearts making it a small but very important point. Whatever we decide here may make no difference as sinn may simply not allow us to switch from whatever lume they currently use. This simple issue could greatly affect peoples votes on dial and hand color (or for that matter using a fully lumed dial in the first place) since different lumes create different tones. In addition it's been suggested but not made clear what limitations we would have on using a white lumed dial since it's already been used on a LE, how much different would ours need to be?? Also, the possibility of using an arktis dial was tossed out early on and is still worth exploring (is the "arktis blue" exclusive to the arktis watch?) along with a simple yes/no confirmation as to whether we will be allowed to change crown position on a U1??

Is there someone at sinn we can get in touch with just to quickly clear up some of these points?? I think it would be a great help and invaluable in the design process in addition to giving us a road map to keep us on course.

IMHO it's prudent to take care of these facts first with sinn before proceeding.
    What does everyone think???

"The watch is a confidence trick invented by the swiss, the disciplined mind has no need of one"

Re: Sinn LE Watch / Is the sky the limit??

Absolutely agree. We are starting to get VERY unorganized with the sheer amount of different ideas being tossed around (which is great, don't get me wrong, but its getting overwhelming which can doom a project like this). I think we need to set some steadfast boundaries and figuring out what Sinn can and can't do is a great way to accomplish that.

My ideal WUS watch would be the EZM3 case

(if titanium, I would love it) but with a Domed crystal, which the EZM3 does not have, and a clean dial a-la EZM1.

The idea of a circle W instead of the circle 3h or Ar is a subtle nod to the group, and of course, you can go wild with the caseback.

OR a PVD'd EZM3 with a custom dial.

Yeah. PVD good.

Rafael T

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: My ideal WUS watch would be the EZM3 case

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_T View Post
    (if titanium, I would love it) but with a Domed crystal, which the EZM3 does not have, and a clean dial a-la EZM1.

The idea of a circle W instead of the circle 3h or Ar is a subtle nod to the group, and of course, you can go wild with the caseback.

OR a PVD'd EZM3 with a custom dial.

Yeah. PVD good.

Rafael T
    This is exactly why we need to set some boundaries with Sinn, asap.

Re: My ideal WUS watch would be the EZM3 case

Oh and another boundary we really need to set which would throw many ideas out the window is budget. Maybe we should make a poll.

Allow me to address some of your concerns:

Quote Originally Posted by david Anthony View Post
    I love all the activity on this exciting project!! congrats to everyone
    Ditto...we couldn't be happier with the participation thus far.

Although I think all the suggestions so far have been awesome my gut tells me we may be moving a little far off the mark with some of the current ideas. I hate to be a broken record as I've pointed this out before but someone really should inquire exactly what sinn will and wont allow while we're still in the planning stages. For instance using an EZM case to create a non quartz, non chronograph watch with some sort of custom dial and hands will essentially create an entirely new watch instead of a basic LE of an existing model. IMHO I just don't think sinn will go for that. As far as I know we asked sinn if we could make a LE U1 and they said "sure"...creating a whole new watch may not be what they had in mind.
    That someone is me and Ernie. We've already talked to Sinn (face to face), and while it would be impossible to address every conceivable combination, I think we've succeeded in establishing some basic ground rules.

Don't get me wrong...I'd love it if the sky was the limit and I hope it is!! but we should ask sinn first before muddying the waters with lots of new options that may not even be available to us, and worse will disappoint and frustrate folks if sinn later says "no" and we have to start from scratch. I've been involved in a few other forum created watch projects and seen them fizzle out over trivial setbacks, let's keep the momentum going on this sinn LE!!
    I've articulated some ground rules in previous threads and if you need clarification on anything feel free to ask me.

Along with an EZM case option a few other simple questions should include if we are limited by a specific type of lume?? I know there has been a growing C3 vs BGW9 debate and folks seem to hold the issue of lume close to their hearts making it a small but very important point. Whatever we decide here may make no difference as sinn may simply not allow us to switch from whatever lume they currently use. This simple issue could greatly affect peoples votes on dial and hand color (or for that matter using a fully lumed dial in the first place) since different lumes create different tones. In addition it's been suggested but not made clear what limitations we would have on using a white lumed dial since it's already been used on a LE, how much different would ours need to be?? Also, the possibility of using an arktis dial was tossed out early on and is still worth exploring (is the "arktis blue" exclusive to the arktis watch?) along with a simple yes/no confirmation as to whether we will be allowed to change crown position on a U1??
    The agreement with Sinn is we present our primary design with a few alternate versions and they tell us if it's do-able and at what price. I know that we'll not get 100% buy-in with any final design, and I'm fine with that. I can live with a 90% solution knowing that I have a unique watch that I helped create and only 49 of my fellow WUS friends will have one.

Is there someone at sinn we can get in touch with just to quickly clear up some of these points?? I think it would be a great help and invaluable in the design process in addition to giving us a road map to keep us on course.
    Allow me to once again make something abundantly clear; Ernie and I are the single points of contact with Sinn for this project. Sinn does not want to dampen our creativity and are open to most any suggestion. If we are too far out in left field they'll tell us and we'll fine tune our design.

IMHO it's prudent to take care of these facts first with sinn before proceeding.
    What does everyone think???
    I would be remiss if I didn't say here and now that if anyone tries to go directly to Sinn in regards to this project two things will happen: 1) Sinn will not address your questions, and 2) the project will be terminated.

Now let's get back to designing our watch!

Quote Originally Posted by SMSgt Bo View Post

I've articulated some ground rules in previous threads and if you need clarification on anything feel free to ask me.
    well ummm..actually yes please do. I've looked through all the threads and honestly don't see any guidelines or ground rules. It doesn't seem like anyone else does either. What are these?? Can we actually design anything???

Quote Originally Posted by SMSgt Bo View Post
    Allow me to once again make something abundantly clear; Ernie and I are the single points of contact with Sinn for this project. Sinn does not want to dampen our creativity and are open to most any suggestion. If we are too far out in left field they'll tell us and we'll fine tune our design.

I would be remiss if I didn't say here and now that if anyone tries to go directly to Sinn in regards to this project two things will happen: 1) Sinn will not address your questions, and 2) the project will be terminated.
    okay...I don't think I was implying that we start firing off half baked questions to sinn independently or that anyone would get the impression to do so. As you say "if we are too far out in left field they will tell us"...so the question remains where is left field? Isn't it better if we know a few simple parameters now? I don't see why it would hurt to ask a few brief questions or why this would be a bother to sinn. Giving us some simple guidelines wouldn't dampen our progress but boost it. It's not just an issue of friendly public relations on sinn's part. The final business aspect of what we are discussing is a guaranteed order to sinn of 30-50 watches which most likely will fall into the $1500-$2500 price range during bad economic times. I've run numerous small businesses and know if someone came to me with a potential guaranteed $50K+ order I wouldn't be hesitant to help however I could and wouldn't find it a bother. This just seems like common sense
    Last edited by david Anthony; April 7th, 2009 at 20:40.

"The watch is a confidence trick invented by the swiss, the disciplined mind has no need of one"

Banned

Last edited by Janne; April 10th, 2009 at 21:24.

OK. I know I've come late to the party, but I think I can add to the discussion

not only because I have been involved in quite a few of these types of projects, but also because I am a designer, myself.

That said, I'll say that I understand that Mr. SMSgt is the lead in this project, and that I am sure he has a few specific ideas in mind.

However, since he needs at least 50 watches to be produced, the final design has to be one that accomplishes that production run.

Once the polls run their course we will have a clearer picture of what the majority of the people is looking for in the watch.

OK.

What we need to pin down, as soon as possible, I think, is the budget for the project.

The other thing I think is crucial before continuing the discussion is whether we'd like the U1 case or the EZM3 case. This will help Mr. SMSgt in his talks with Sinn regarding the different possibilities for the project.

I vote for the EZM3 case, but it is not a deal-breaker for me.

I'd like a PVD'd case.

And I am not interested in a fully-lumed dial.

A colored dial is a good, simple way to differentiate this watch from other Sinns. Imagine how cool it would be to run into another WUS member and recognize him (or her) by the special-colored dial of the watch.

Kind Regards,
    Rafael T
    Last edited by Rafael_T; April 7th, 2009 at 21:04.

Banned

Re: OK. I know I've come late to the party, but I think I can add to the discussion

Last edited by Janne; April 10th, 2009 at 21:25.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information