Finally! - Page 2
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Finally!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Finally!

How sad is it that it's some small measure of success to get your watch back after sending it in for repair a year ago?

Although I still really like the design of many Kobold models, I would never purchase one new now, and I'd still be hesitant to own a used one. IMHO, the name has been tarnished with all the shenanigans of MK. Sucks, because a few years ago, I really was enthusiastic about them & wanted to join the club.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come here to dump on the brand or this thread. Just giving my honest opinion, FWIW.
    EMVAMPYRE, Avo and watchyourself like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Genebe View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean to come here to dump on the brand or this thread. Just giving my honest opinion, FWIW.
    You're not dumping on anything. Kobold was a cool micro that tried to go huge, and was run by someone who believed his own press releases. I wouldn't buy any Kobold watch from the company any time soon. The only used one I would even consider buying would be one that could be repaired by a local watch maker. Mine was looked at by several watch makers who had no way to adequately repair it.

It's sad, I really liked many of the designs, and was going to order an SMG for myself before the company was torpedoed by it's owner's delusions of grandeur.
    Avo, RIB333, Genebe and 2 others like this.
    Carpe Noctem

Congrats. Out of curiosity, when you say you contacted legal authorities - did you do anything that actually made it back to Kobold? I'm wondering if thats the trick to actually getting a response because I'm coming up on 3 years of having my watch out for service and I'm getting desperate.
    EMVAMPYRE likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by jdeerhake View Post
    Congrats. Out of curiosity, when you say you contacted legal authorities - did you do anything that actually made it back to Kobold? I'm wondering if thats the trick to actually getting a response because I'm coming up on 3 years of having my watch out for service and I'm getting desperate.
    You’re not alone, but you are likely without much recourse. Small brands like this rise and fall on the integrity of the brand owner. In this case it seems like Michael is still falling.

I used to be connected to Michael on Facebook and he even called me a few times. He admitted to me that he’s been living in Nepal for years and left the business in the hands of employees back here in the USA. I have neither the time nor desire to share all the details, but it was clear to me that Michael doesn’t care enough about his customers to get back to the USA and respect his customers by providing the necessary warranty service and/or order fulfillment. In my conversations with him, both via phone and message, all I heard were excuses.

I’ve since disconnected from him on social media and I have no intention of further contact with him. I wish you good luck and hope you see some type of resolution.
    EMVAMPYRE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdeerhake View Post
    I in fact did contact authorities in Pennsylvania but never had to get to the point of actual legal action. The company was advised of this and things started happening, and my watch was returned.
    Carpe Noctem

Quote Originally Posted by Genebe View Post
    How sad is it that it's some small measure of success to get your watch back after sending it in for repair a year ago?

Although I still really like the design of many Kobold models, I would never purchase one new now, and I'd still be hesitant to own a used one. IMHO, the name has been tarnished with all the shenanigans of MK. Sucks, because a few years ago, I really was enthusiastic about them & wanted to join the club.

Why would anyone want to purchase a Kobold watch in the first place?

I just took a quick peek at Kobold's website, and all the horror stories about customer service suddenly make sense.

It turns out that in 2015, Kobold made the tough decision to help Nepal overcome a secret economic blockade by India rather than focus on making watches. That crisis is now over, and Nepal won! Yeah!

Now Kobold is back to making watches, so everyone who's been waiting to get your watch back from servicing, I'm sure you'll have it before you know it. It's right around the corner. Any day now. It's in the mail.
    EMVAMPYRE likes this.

This sad sorry saga is exactly why I have avoided microbrands.

For the last 40 years I have worn Rolex. I have bought them and had them serviced all over the world, without ever having a problem.

Microbrands come and go. Some guy (in many cases not even a watchmaker or engineer) gets interested in watches, and six months later his name is on a dial of a watch slapped together from parts made in china. A year later he decides off road motorbikes are more his game, and the “Higgins World Time Master GMT Diver Tactical” is no more.

Now its the “Higgins Trialmaster Speed King”.

A year later and he is selling second hand cars from a lot near the station.

I have seen too many of these cowboys. I wouldnt buy a newspaper off them..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information