Finally!
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Finally!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Finally!

So, as some of you may have seen and read, I have been waging a battle with the company for just over a year regarding the repair of my first generation Phantom Tactical. I went so far as to contact legal authorities in both Pennsylvania and California regarding possible theft by false pretenses and fraud charges. As of yesterday, March 16, the ordeal is over. I have my watch back.

A quick check of it shows it to be in the good working order. The issue it was returned for, a stripped crown tube assembly, appears to be totally repaired and fully functioning. The case, case back, bracelet and crystal all appear as when I shipped the watch originally. No tool markings on it, no more scratches than when it was last in my hands. The crystal is scratch and smudge free (inside) and there appears to be no debris inside the watch as viewed via the crystal. It functions as it should, all dials return to zero, and it appears to keep time exceptionally well. I do not know if its water tight, and I will have a trusted watch repair tech check that later this week.

Included in the packaging, the watch was shipped in a soft leather pouch, were 2 Kobold branded straps, one a NATO style and one a vanilla scented rubber strap with a solid brushed Kobold buckle. Both straps appear pretty solid and good looking. Two leather card holders, one burgundy and one grey (Her Honor grabbed the burgundy one before I could take pics) were also included along with documentation of the service as well as calibration documents.

Does this mean the watch is flawless and working as it should? Only time will tell. Does this mean good things for the company and it's customers? Again, only time will tell. All it means is I have my watch back, and so far it seems to be working.

Here are a couple of very bad cellphone pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carpe Noctem

Re: Finally!

Congrats on getting it back! Long time coming as we know. I have no horse in this race, but I’ve been following the whole saga for a while.
    EMVAMPYRE likes this.
    Current Collection
    Aquadive BS300 & BS300 DLC Doxa 300 T-Graph professional Ennebi Fondale Gruppo Ardito Kraken Kaiser 9500m
    H2o Kalmar 2 8000m Oceanictime Helberg CH1 Marathon JSAR, JDD Orient ​Saturation Diver Prometheus ​Poseidon DLC Rolex Oyster Royal
    Seiko SUN019 ​Sinn U1 SDR Charmex Swiss Military 20,000ft UTS 4000m WCT 1000m Diver Zixen DSR-1000, DSR-1000 GMT

Thank you! I had no idea it was coming, to be honest. The last I had heard from Mr. Kobold was his part time shipping manager was out and everything was backed up. Wore to the NASCAR race in Fontana today, so far so good.
    BevHillsTrainer likes this.
    Carpe Noctem

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Really glad to hear the news! The saying is “a thousand mile journey begins with a single step.” For Kobold that might as well be increased a hundred fold...but thankfully one guy got his watch back and that’s at least something.

Side note: I went to that Fontana race a few years ago with my brother. Save for the restarts nobody was within 10 car lengths of Jimmy Johnson most of the time...food was great though...best smoked turkey leg I ever had.
    EMVAMPYRE and watchyourself like this.
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

It’s good that your watch is finally back, but I don’t see how the company can survive after all the bad faith, delays, and endless excuses.

I haven’t shared my Kobold experiences publicly, but they’ve been a train wreck for years and Michael has done nothing except tell stories.

To anyone waiting for their watch to return from service: good luck.

To anyone considering a purchase from Kobold: don’t do it.

I wonder who did the work.
    shorinjikempo and EMVAMPYRE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppyjr View Post
    It’s good that your watch is finally back, but I don’t see how the company can survive after all the bad faith, delays, and endless excuses.

I haven’t shared my Kobold experiences publicly, but they’ve been a train wreck for years and Michael has done nothing except tell stories.

To anyone waiting for their watch to return from service: good luck.

To anyone considering a purchase from Kobold: don’t do it.
    I concur that!
    watchyourself likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSshorty View Post
    I wonder who did the work.
    That's a very good question. The timing sheet is marked Rolex, but is an obvious Zerox copy of an original sheet. The last time my watch was serviced, the sheet was marked Kobold. I wouldn't be surprised if it was out sourced to a local (Pittsburgh? Katmandu?) watch shop/maker/repair center. It was shipped from Pennsylvania though.

Oh, and by the way, since getting it I have worn it every day. I set it once, Sunday morning, wound it and have not readjusted the time at all. After routine wearing it is currently running +18 seconds total over the 3 full days. Not perfect but certainly not horrible. This is about where it ran before sending it away.
    CGSshorty likes this.
    Carpe Noctem

Oh wow, I was following this saga from far.

I remember this long article on another forum....

Happy for you man!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    EMVAMPYRE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Emceemon View Post
    Oh wow, I was following this saga from far.

I remember this long article on another forum....

Happy for you man!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
    Thank you! So far so good, after setting and wearing almost daily since receiving it, it's running +18 seconds overall (I don't know the per day variation). Still haven't had it tested for water integrity, but I'm happy with the repair. I do honestly hope this is a good sign for others waiting on their watches still with the company.
    Avo likes this.
    Carpe Noctem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information