Is this IWC Caliber 83 watch authentic? Particularly the case.. Dial refinished? More info?

Thread: Is this IWC Caliber 83 watch authentic? Particularly the case.. Dial refinished? More info?

Is this IWC Caliber 83 watch authentic? Particularly the case.. Dial refinished? More info?

Hello,

I just acquired a watch from my Dad as a present. He told me he didn't know its history and I was wondering if you guys would be willing to offer your opinions on the matter.

The watch is an IWC Caliber 83 from what looks to me to be 1944-1945.

The watch has INCA shock protection.

I want to know a few things:

1. How many jewels does this watch have (can you tell)? I know they made several jewel counts.
    2. Is the watch anti-magnetic (how can I tell?)?
    3. The dial looks better in the pictures than in real life (if it looks good in the pictures to you). The full dial color and hour markers are nearly the same silverish color. Without contrast, the watch is hard to read and not as attractive as it could be. Is the dial authentic or repainted? Or just overly aged?
    4. Is the case authentic? I would say "no" but I'll leave that up to you guys. It's an unusual design and has no serial number or company marks.

I really appreciate anything you can give me.

Re: Is this IWC Caliber 83 watch authentic? Particularly the case.. Dial refinished? More info?

No opinions?

Anything!

Re: Is this IWC Caliber 83 watch authentic? Particularly the case.. Dial refinished? More info?

May I suggest enquiring at the IWC collector's forum at IWC.com. There is a vintage subforum that has a number of very knowledgeable members. You may like to take a couple of clearer pics in more natural light in order to get the most accurate response. Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the response. :) I'll do that.

The movement is the 15 jewel version, they also made a 16 jewel version of the caliber 83.
    The dial does appear to be in original condition.
    It is an authentic movement, but the case should have a serial number and IWC markings.
    Need parts? Tech manuals? Serial Number lookup? www.watchrepairinfo.com

Thread Information