IWC chronograph hour hand not aligned!

Thread: IWC chronograph hour hand not aligned!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IWC chronograph hour hand not aligned!

Hi Everyone!

I acquired a 3799 ceramic Top Gun doppel many months back. It has been sent back multiple time for repairs for a particular problem with the chronograph. As you know the 3799 has the IWC caliber 79230 which is based on the 7750. I have noticed that each time the chronograph is engaged for a couple of hours and I stop it intermittently, the chrono hour hand tends to overshoot the sub-dial marking for the correct hour. This becomes a particular problem when the chrono is run for around 10 hours or so with my having stopped the chrono a couple of times in between - the chrono hour indicator can be misaligned by almost half an hour!

Interestingly, the hour hand is perfectly aligned when the chrono is reset, or when I don't stop the chronograph in between - in such a scenario, it always matches up with the correct sub-dial marker after the elapsed number of hours!

When I first sent the watch to IWC, I was told that there was some grease related issue for the chrono hour hand. I noticed the same problem when they returned it. This time when I sent it back, they said the entire chronograph gear train will be replace. I got back my watch yesterday, and the problem still seems to be there! ARRRRGH!!!

I have attached a picture I took today...

Name:  image_24Apr14 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  63.2 KB

I ran the chronograph for 4 hours to test whet the problem had been fixed, with intermittent stops in between. After four hours have elapsed, you can notice that the chrono hour hand has off-shot the 4 o'clock marker on the sub dial!!

I am almost on the verge of giving up! Is this a common issue with valjoux 7750 based movements? Should I just live with it, this being one of my grail watches?

Any advise appreciated!!!

Re: IWC chronograph hour hand not aligned!

Well, if they didnt fix it I guess all you can do is send it back. Maybe call head office to see if they can ship it to a more professional IWC centre?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    Well, if they didnt fix it I guess all you can do is send it back. Maybe call head office to see if they can ship it to a more professional IWC centre?
    I did...and I have been informed that they are discussing with the HQ....but having sent the watch twice, with each trip lasting months, I have hardly had the pleasure of wearing this watch....so I was wondering if there are any simpler solutions such as keeping the chrono running for quite some time or resetting or something that would do it...

The hour hand never moves (creeps) when the chronograph is at rest after being reset. do you think the chrono brake is slipping or something? I have noticed that after the chrono has been stopped after minutes have elapsed and then restarted, the hour hand jerks forward very slightly...

Thanks!
    Last edited by timuS; April 25th, 2014 at 11:07.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

heb

Hello, Apparently such chronograph performance is not unusual for IWC chronos. My 2006 IWC Spitfire chrono's elapsed hour handl is always off by 15 minutes; it has reset that way from almost the beginning. I plan on sending it in some day. The only other 7750 problem on some of my other brand watches is when the hour hand continues to count elapsed hours when the chronograph is switched OFF! (a Hamilton and a Baume & Mercier chronograph)

Thanks friends! I have sent it off to IWC again...they have been very supportive in this matter! I wonder if this is a known issue of most chronographs where the hour wheel turns independently of the other chronograph counters...! I have tested a Seiko 9R86 with similar results!! I may test a Rolex 4130 later to see what happens...
    Last edited by timuS; May 27th, 2014 at 07:15.

deleted
    Last edited by watchgeekwatchnut; June 2nd, 2014 at 10:02.

I have the same problem on a Longines; a watchmaker explained me that is a problem of the nylon brake that is worn out. At an overhaul will be replaced by a new one.

I get the same problem with my moonwatch, it annoys me soo much, but apparently quite common and acceptable 🙄 I’ve wanted an 3777-09 but am considering something else. Does the mighty Daytona do this as well??

Banned

if it wasn't fixed up well, try to send it back

For chronos, I always try to reset them closer to the 12 o clock position to prevent the hands from getting out of position from the momentum. I don't know if that would help but it seems to make sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information