What Is Your Favorite IWC Chronograph?
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What Is Your Favorite IWC Chronograph?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm nuts for their first chronograph, the Porsche Design Titan automatic. Kind of ironic how, in the late 60's, IWC felt the sales of chronographs didn't warrant the investment to develop their own movement. IWC recognized the movement built to their high standards would cost much more than other chronographs on the market, and might have a hard time finding buyers. IWC also didn't have "faith" in the movements created by Zenith (beat too quick) and the Breitling/Heuer/Buren/Hamilton/Dubois-Depraz group (who didn't want IWC modifying the movement, AND taking profits from the others in the group).

Yet the introduction of the IWC Porsche Design Titan chronograph, with its now ubiquitous Valjoux 7750, seemed to reignite interest in mechanical chronographs in 1981 when they were first sold, after years of dismal chronograph sales results through the late 70's. In fact, Valjoux and Zenith both reconstructed the machinery to begin manufacture of chronograph movements again due to the demand from other manufacturers (Ebel and Waldan International come to mind). Thank goodness they hadn't destroyed the machinery and old stock of movements as they had been instructed to do by management!

Sorry for the long intro...I just translated a large portion of "The History of IWC" by David Seyffer, curator for the IWC museum. Fascinating stuff, but a slow process to translate German to English (I do not understand German!).

Lately I have been entertaining the idea of getting a different model. My problem is, since I love chronographs, I love all that IWC has ever offered! Although, to be completely honest, I prefer the sporty designs over the elegant and dressy Portuguese models. But one day, I think a Pilot on a bracelet is the one to get (a 3777 with the altimeter-style date window). Then I think a Doppelchronograph would be interesting. Then the GST (successor to the Porsche Design line) piques my curiosity.

So what's your favorite IWC chronograph? GST? Pilot? Aquatimer? Ingenieur? And, as always, PLEASE post eye-candy!

Re: What Is Your Favorite IWC Chronograph?

The 3777-01

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Time Exposure likes this.

3717. It's as if IWC used me as the muse when they moddled it. A great design with perfect dimensions for my wrist.

I was recently watch shopping and tried a few IWC's. I liked none as much as the 3717, I ended up with another Omega.
    Last edited by anonymousmoose; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:15.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the 3717 although I have a 3777

For me it was always the IW3717, as that was the look when I first noticed IWC. However recently I've come to appreciate the IW3706 on a bracelet.

I have the IW378901, and love it. Stealth of the ceramic, and the inhouse movement as been super accurate and reliable. So I also like the IW3705.

My Aquatimer I acquired for my 50th birthday

Hawaii 5-0 Grail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mhutchuk View Post
    My Aquatimer I acquired for my 50th birthday

Hawaii 5-0 Grail
    I tried on the blue dial non-chrono when picking my upcoming 40th gift for next year. They are super nice watches yet Omega won out in the end.

Nice photo, so darn good those aquatimers.

The new Spitfire Chronograph is a beauty, and it looks like IWC is at least somewhat cognizant of need to slim down it’s cases. My favorite IWC chronograph is the Portuguese Chronograph Classic. Just love the dial.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pilot's for me, the blue was nice, looking forward to the bronze when I can find one . . .

edit: oops, sorry not chronos . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by drhr; 2 Weeks Ago at 22:08.
    anonymousmoose likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

my favorite is the Newest model that was release this year.
    the Top Gun Ceratanium

The Emotion is Aroused by Something Marvelous. Gazed with Wonder.

Pink Floyd in Pilot Suits... oh, LOVE The Band.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information