Help identifying Hamilton Chronograph
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HamiltonElectric

Thread: Help identifying Hamilton Chronograph

Help identifying Hamilton Chronograph

Hello. I am a long admirer of Hamilton watches and mostly older Chronographs, although do not have much information about them. I just got this watch, that I thought had Lemania movement. Today I took it to the watchmaker to regulate it - it was gaining nearly 5 minutes per hour. When he opened the case, there is an ETA movement. It had damaged hairspring and the watchmaker did something to make it work more or less until he gets spares to replace it (somehow managed to regulate at -9 second mark). Anyway, this is not 7750 or any 77** movement. It is decorated and timegrapher shows 28800 beats. Can you help me in identifying period or exact movement of this watch? There in absolutely no information I was able to google...

edit: changed one picture that was out of focusAttachment 14151793Name:  IMG_20190513_150714.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  166.3 KBName:  IMG_20190516_140030.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  169.9 KB
    Last edited by -Greg-; 1 Week Ago at 12:55.

Re: Help identifying Hamilton Chronograph

Nobody? I will try to open the case and make a photo of the movement itself (as the watchmaker did not tell me the movement caliber name), but it is definitely ETA. Maybe it is 2824 with a chronograph unit on it (although it seems very thin to accommodate such hybrid), or maybe it is something other, although I am not sure what exactly is it :(

There's only one picture showing up, the case back
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting to note, on your watch's dial it says "Swiss Made", which means the movement is in all probability Swiss and not one of Hamilton's American made movements.

I googled "Hamilton HTC 0417" and came across a similar watch as yours. However, the dial is blue, while yours is white. Below is an excerpt of this watch which was for sale.

HAMILTON HTC 90650 vintage swiss automatic chronograph watch Chrono-Matic Cal Lemania LWO 283 *** 40 jewels ***

Model: HTC 90650 Chrono-Matic
    Diameter: 39 mm
    Year: 80s
    Observations: HAMILTON HTC 90650 vintage swiss automatic chronograph watch Chrono-Matic Cal Lemania LWO 283. Measurements: 39 mm without crown and 42 mm with crown. Good condition although with normal marks of own use and time. Original steel bracelet signed Hamilton. Spectacular!! *** 40 jewels ***

Below is a link on the Hamilton Lemania 5100 movement, which you may be of interest:
    My Favorite Hamilton Chronographs ? Rover Haven Straps

- Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Hager626 View Post
    the movement is in all probability Swiss and not one of Hamilton's American made movements.
    Hamilton never made an automatic movement, let alone chronograph, in the US. They only produced manual wind watches in America. All US movement production ended in January, 1969.

They had started importing Swiss automatic movements around 1953. Their first chronograph was the joint-venture with Heuer and Breitling in 1969.

The appearance and markings of the OP's watch look to be 1980s to early 1990s. Unfortunately Hamilton had stopped publishing annual catalogs in 1978, and didn't start up again until the late 90s. So a lot of things fall through the cracks unless you're lucky enough to find a brochure or contemporary ad.
    NC_Hager626 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HamiltonElectric View Post
    Hamilton never made an automatic movement, let alone chronograph, in the US. They only produced manual wind watches in America. All US movement production ended in January, 1969.

They had started importing Swiss automatic movements around 1953. Their first chronograph was the joint-venture with Heuer and Breitling in 1969.

The appearance and markings of the OP's watch look to be 1980s to early 1990s. Unfortunately Hamilton had stopped publishing annual catalogs in 1978, and didn't start up again until the late 90s. So a lot of things fall through the cracks unless you're lucky enough to find a brochure or contemporary ad.
    Thanks for bringing things into perspective on Hamilton’s Lancaster production involvement with only hand wound movements and their reliance, and later partnership, with the Swiss watch industry for their automatic and chronograph movements.

Thank you for the replies. I have edited the initial post to include both pictures, sorry about that.

I managed to open the case and the Rotor reads LWO 283 with Hamilton logo and indication that it has 40 jewels. This specific watch may have had some strange history, as some parts in the movement are decorated, while the rotor and most other visible parts are not. I searched and looked in every single article online regarding the LWO 283 movement and it is indeed based on ETA movement 2890 or 2892 (different sources read different movements) and chronograph unit that is said to be designed by Dubois-Depraz although it is branded as Lemania movement... I was unable to find any LWO 283 photos with any decoration, so that seems awkward to me (and I really should not be trusted with opening case back for a photo, it might not end well :(). I assume that is a history of previous repairs and parts were sourced from other ETA watches.

I will find a normal watchmaker (or at least try to find such guy here) who will do full maintenance and maybe restore movement to original look. If I find a guy/lady like that, I will definitely update this thread and post pictures :)

Thread Information