About to purchase a Stowa Partitio—last minute advice
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: About to purchase a Stowa Partitio—last minute advice

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

About to purchase a Stowa Partitio—last minute advice

So as the title states, I’m very close to pulling the trigger on a new Partitio (finally!!). I’ve been wanting one for a while now and I’ve had my sights set on the hand winding white dial with red seconds. I was drawn to the hand wind version because I don’t have one, however, at this eleventh hour I’ve started to second guess whether I should get the hand wind or the automatic. The fact that the hand wind comes with a display back isn’t a deciding factor for me (I actually think the solid back looks nice), but I do like the idea of a hand wind watch.

I have a small collection (Seiko diver, Tissot Visodate, and an older Seiko flighty), and I intend to wear the watch in the office on semi-casual days, and then on the weekends/evenings, splitting time with the diver and flighty (i.e. this won’t be an everyday piece). Considering this, would I be better off getting the auto over the hand wind, or should I stick with the hand wind version as initially planned?

I realize this is ultimately subjective, but I thought I’d get some input from owners before making the plunge. Thanks for any and all advice!!

Re: About to purchase a Stowa Partitio—last minute advice

If the money is not an issue (the extra cost for hand wind seems to be 150 EUR) I would chose hand wind especially if you don't have one in your collection. Automatic is arguably more practical and can be hand wound too although there have been reports that it might not be good for the 2824 movement if done regularly. But as the watch is not going to be your only watch I don't see that the lack of automatic winding affects the practicality that much. I think it's best to stick with your original plan.
    efawke likes this.

I would go for the hand-winding version in your situation, as this is what you first wanted.

I really enjoy having autos and hand-winding watches in my rotation. This includes a hand-winding Flieger Klassik 40, which I believe has the same ETA 2804-2 movement that you'll get in the Partitio, and it is lovely to get it started in the morning.

Bottom line: you would enjoy either, and I honestly don't see pros or cons either way in a rotation, so go hand-winding for a change this time.
    efawke likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Two for the handwind!
    Thinking about winding my watch...
    Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    efawke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasropakis View Post
    If the money is not an issue (the extra cost for hand wind seems to be 150 EUR) I would chose hand wind especially if you don't have one in your collection. Automatic is arguably more practical and can be hand wound too although there have been reports that it might not be good for the 2824 movement if done regularly. But as the watch is not going to be your only watch I don't see that the lack of automatic winding affects the practicality that much. I think it's best to stick with your original plan.
    I’ve read that about the 2824 as well, and is why I only wind my Visodate just enough to get it started after the weekend. It usually stays wound during the week since it’s my daily wear aside from more casual days. Since the Partitio will be splitting time between two other watches going with the hand wound version does seem to make sense.

While spending less is always nice, at this price I’m fine spending a little extra to get exactly what I want.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by njhinde View Post
    I would go for the hand-winding version in your situation, as this is what you first wanted.

I really enjoy having autos and hand-winding watches in my rotation. This includes a hand-winding Flieger Klassik 40, which I believe has the same ETA 2804-2 movement that you'll get in the Partitio, and it is lovely to get it started in the morning.

Bottom line: you would enjoy either, and I honestly don't see pros or cons either way in a rotation, so go hand-winding for a change this time.
    Makes sense. I have 2 autos and a quartz, so it’ll definitely be a nice change of pace. I owned a Smiths PRS-29 briefly which houses an ETA 2801, and I did enjoy the experience of winding it (although IMO that one suffers from a slightly too small crown that makes winding more difficult).

Thanks!
    njhinde likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    Two for the handwind!
    Thinking about winding my watch...
    Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    I wound my Turtle just for the hell of it. ;)

I’ve been leaning toward the hand winder the whole time but I just had a little hesitation right before purchasing mainly due to lack of extensive experience with hand winders and the fear of regretting my decision. But, it won’t be my daily driver (auto seems to make sense there), and it will be something different for the collection. Probably going to go ahead and order one later today...super excited to finally join the Stowa club!
    Slm643 and njhinde like this.

Good decision. I am sure you won't regret it.
    efawke likes this.

I vastly prefer to get handwound movements, they are robust and a joy to own.

Just placed my order! Can’t wait to get this one. I’ll definitely post up some photos once it arrives (maybe a few weeks or so I’m guessing?).
    JacobC, joeabroad, Slm643 and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information